SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SM people!

Thought I would post this here and introduce myself. I ride in the South Seattle area. We have tons of bitchin mountians and killer ORV parks to ride on. But Seattle is dark 7 months out of the year which makes riding even during the daytime a challenge. I have a 2008 Yamaha WR250X.

Anyway, I've never been much of a night rider (thats not a David Hasselhoff joke, but it could be!). Hey I'm 40 years old. Eyesight is the first to go. Lights usually suck hard on any WR and enduros/supermotos in general.

Anyway....so I've been looking at LED lights. Theres a bunch of junk on the market and I wanted something that would last and will put out some decent power. I looked at just about every kit on the market. Nothing quite had the look, quality and end result I wanted.

I found a little powersports company out of Paso Robles, CA that makes LED headlights and turn signals for Harleys. Turns out they also make some bad ass lights for trucks. I found a really killer light thats the right size to fit in the factory plastic. Here are the specifics;

Lazer Star - Triad
10 watt
3000 lumens - the stock headlight H4 bulb puts out like 1500 lumens at best.
IP68 rated - which means dirt and water wont get into it. Which is a HUGE problem with most led lighting and around my wet neck of the woods...

Lazer Star "underdrives" all their lights so they last a long time and still put out a ton of light with their reflector. This also means they run cool, so they wont melt the crap out of the plastics. Being under driven, they dont draw alot of power so the bike can handle it no problem. I've only had the light on for a few weeks. The temps here have been getting cold at night (low 20s) and its been a little too cold to ride very far. This light is BRIGHT! I've had LEDs on my truck and knew what to expect, but it was awesome to see it on my WR.

I made a little youtube video of the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8_3Ql4K2Ig

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I looked at the baja seriously. The baja is overdriven to get the 3600 lumens. Which just kills a little of the life and runs the light hotter. The Lazer Star is rated at 50,000 operating hours and the baja I think was 30,000 hours. It just means the Lazer Star will run a little cooler than the baja, which is what I wanted. Plus the Lazer Star is IP68 rated and when I emailed baja asking what its IP rating was, they just said "tested" to 3m. Well thats the IP68 test. The light has to function for a sustained amount of time at a minimum of 3m. I think the baja is probably only IP67 which means water resistant. Which is probably ok for most everyone, but here in wet Seattle, I need the extra protection. The both use the CREE light which are the best on the market right now. LED light technology is going crazy right now. Lots of new technology and better lights coming.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm assuming yours is the spot version ?
Any idea if they can do a combo spot/flood and then let you run 2/3 for low, 3/3 for high ? I've got the problem right now where I'm running a H7 Osram Rallye, so I've only got the high beam, technically got the KTM marker light wired up as a low beam in case I get pulled over. I do feel a bit bad about shining such a bright light all the time 'tho (but it's better than getting run over).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I got the spot. They say they can do custom lights. Not sure if thats something they can do, but it would be cool to have the flood with it. They sell a bunch of powersports stuff, so I bet they have had the high/low beam question before. I dont feel too bad about running a brighter light. Not for as many times as I've been cut off and ran off the road. I'm glad to be seen!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here is my low and high beam compared. This is with an HID bulb, but you get a general idea of the shape. I personally find the stock bulb to be pretty good and have gone back to it for reliability (Battery gets low, the HID won't fire). I call BS on the LED ones. The video going around the block looks like my beam pattern on low.. and the one for the LED doesn't look much better than mine on high beams.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You really can't compare one persons pics/vids to another unless whatever was doing the recording was set up EXACTLY the same.

Wish you had posted this thread like 2 weeks ago, would have been a lot easier than the DIY route I've started down. I'm already into those enough that there is no going back. I guess the only consolation is I'll have 4 lights when it is all done :lol: (2 for my truck, one on my drz, and maybe one on my woods bike if I can figure out a stator for that)

The end result of the DIY ones should look about like this (using the same housings)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my low and high beam compared. This is with an HID bulb, but you get a general idea of the shape. I personally find the stock bulb to be pretty good and have gone back to it for reliability (Battery gets low, the HID won't fire). I call BS on the LED ones. The video going around the block looks like my beam pattern on low.. and the one for the LED doesn't look much better than mine on high beams.
The LED as compared to the factory halogen was like night and day. The video and the pictures I took really couldnt capture it. The beam looks narrow, which of course its not. I think if I had more room in the factory plastic I'd try a combo spot/flood beam. Would be a better light for night time riding. So far I'm impressed with the LED. The LED is a focused light while just an HID bulb uses the factory reflector. Changing the whole assembly, changes the characteristics of the light. I'm quite sure the HID was better than the stock. I chose to go LED for the dependability, low draw, outstanding light output and the cool factor. No BS there. =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really can't compare one persons pics/vids to another unless whatever was doing the recording was set up EXACTLY the same.

Wish you had posted this thread like 2 weeks ago, would have been a lot easier than the DIY route I've started down. I'm already into those enough that there is no going back. I guess the only consolation is I'll have 4 lights when it is all done :lol: (2 for my truck, one on my drz, and maybe one on my woods bike if I can figure out a stator for that)

The end result of the DIY ones should look about like this (using the same housings)
Are those spot or floods? Would love to see if someone has done floods and if they felt they lacked sufficient distance. Hope your project turns out well! Looking forward to seeing some pics when you get done.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The one in the pic has spot optics in it. The lenses click into the holders and can be swapped out. They are available from 12 to 40 degree spreads. I'll probably order a couple different ones to see what I like best for my applications.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
gots a sol do you have a thread started on this LED project of yours? I have a few questions but dont wanna thread jack bonemoto. haha that sound funny to anybody else? :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
3000 lumens and 10W? They're either more than 10W or much less than 3000 lumens. Nobody, including Cree, makes LEDs with 300lumen/watt efficacy.

The Lazer Star Triad doesn't appear to be a DOT headlight. DOT headlights focus the beam downward and to the right in a specific pattern so as not to blind oncoming traffic. Non-DOT headlights are OK for dirt-only use, but aren't legal for street use for good reason.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
gots a sol do you have a thread started on this LED project of yours? I have a few questions but dont wanna thread jack bonemoto. haha that sound funny to anybody else? :lol:

I don't, but somebody else does (who I'm copying :lol: )

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1073515-diy-hight-powered-led-light-bar.html

I got my housings today. I ordered drivers to do 2 of the lights (they only had 2 left, arrggg. Also, not the ones used in the above link.) I'm still debating on how to set up the 4th light for my woods bike (which currently has no charging stator)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3000 lumens and 10W? They're either more than 10W or much less than 3000 lumens. Nobody, including Cree, makes LEDs with 300lumen/watt efficacy.

The Lazer Star Triad doesn't appear to be a DOT headlight. DOT headlights focus the beam downward and to the right in a specific pattern so as not to blind oncoming traffic. Non-DOT headlights are OK for dirt-only use, but aren't legal for street use for good reason.
Lumens are not measured by the bulb alone.

And no, this is not a dot approved headlight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the bike inspected for new tags and the light is legal. Just have to wire in the high/low beam and the inspector didnt even look twice at it. All legal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts