SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Enjoying my ktm but riding only about 65 miles on a tank is a downer. Anybody that can point me in the right direction on a larger tank for a 04 ktm 625 smc would be much appreciated. Starting to find that aftermarket parts arent that easy to come by on this bike but it is a blast to ride.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i dont know about KTM but Clarke and IMS make a few aftermarket tanks as well as acerbis.

Im in the process of putting a CLarke 2.8gal on my YZ450 for exactly this reason.

z

·
Registered
315 Posts
KTM makes a larger tank, but you have to switch to the Comfort Seat at the same time due to the way the new tank is configured.

I can go more than 220 miles with the bigger tank, and the Comfort Seat certainly makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
check the KTM subsection, couple of guys here have fitted a larger tank (3.17 gallons) off a 640 SM, but that was a model that wasn't available in the US so I don't know exactly how they got a hold of the tank.

you can use your stock rad shrouds but you do need a different seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gerg did you just go to a dealer and have them look up the parts? You dont happen to have the part numbers by chance for the tank and seat?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can't find any receipts with part numbers from 2004 when I bought the tank & seat, but they're KTM parts, so you should be able to find them. It's a 18 liter tank (versus 9 liter stock) and "Comfort Seat." You'll also need to buy the tank plug (aka gas tank cap) as it's totally different, too-the 18-liter tank takes a locking gas cap.

It takes a little bit of work to fit the new seat to the new tank, and there's a lip of plastic underneath that sticks out a bit too far.

I had a long thread with pictures over on KTMtalk dot com, but I don't know if it's there anymore. There were also pictures in the picture gallery there for a long time that showed some closeups of the seat work. If you go to the picture gallery, and the how-to section, search for "GergMN" as the member. There are still some pix there, but some mixed up with other people's photos.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From seeing pics of the 18l gas tank im not fond of it does anyone know of a little smaller tank around 11l possibly??

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lots of threads on this. I bought an 11 liter tank off eBay UK. Just run a search on KTM 640 or Duke gas tanks. But like mentioned you will have to change the seat to match. And the 04 seat is different than the 05-06 SMCs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts