SuperMoto Junkie banner
1621 - 1640 of 1673 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
There is a polishing process for gears that some companies offer that uses metal burnishing rods as the vibratory media, and a three stage liquid wash... net result is impressive micropolishing but I can't coax the secret sauce out of anyone yet. If I find any details I'll share the spoils.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,622 ·
There is a polishing process for gears that some companies offer that uses metal burnishing rods as the vibratory media, and a three stage liquid wash... net result is impressive micropolishing but I can't coax the secret sauce out of anyone yet. If I find any details I'll share the spoils.
Lol, yeah I'm familiar with the Isotropic Microfinishing :)
There are other ways of doing it.. We just need to keep looking for the right combo..
I'm patient... Sometimes :lol:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
mate made this up and does it do a great job

old hand sander bolted to the side of a plastic bucket filled with water and soda crystals

this was a nasty old weathered nasty looking 2001 CR 250

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,625 ·
Wait... Is that a twin piston caliper on the rear brake? :lol:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,628 ·
Toying with some ideas for a Counter sprocket guard..
Since we have some material left over from our 2 piece clutch cover adapters we might as well make use of it :D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,629 ·
Ok, all the parts are here for rebuilding the rear caliper as well as the SS hose.

Please ignore the polished KX500 Wossner rod in the background

So I pulled the caliper off my bike and completely disassembled it... Then cleaned it up really nice... Not that it wasn't clean before... But we are trying for a new level

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,630 ·
Just waiting for clear weather to test this version out..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,631 ·
Ok... here is where we are at on the rear brake mod. Yes, it works... But nothing special so I don't recommend doing it as it currently is. However, I have a more powerful rear brake master cylinder I'm working on so all is not lost. Plus.... I'm working on another direction and will post pics as I make some progress...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,632 ·
Ok, so it's interesting to note that the KX250F rear brake lever is about 1/2" longer then the KX500 rear brake lever and would only require a bushing or bearing to make it fit correctly...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,637 ·
Lol.... I'm still working on the gold engraving :lol:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,639 ·
A bit more cleaning and prepping...

This is what it came in looking like...

And no, we are not going to polish the cases.
After Vapor blasting it will have a ultra clean factory finish... Just nicer :thumbup:

1621 - 1640 of 1673 Posts