SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
A KX500 just popped up near me with a 580 bore for $1500 and your build thread has me thinking I need this for some reason...

·
Registered
510 Posts
That would be quite a bike if it's in good condition and how they achieved the 580cc size.
Do you have any details on the bike, perhaps a pic or two?
No pics in the craigslist ad but I will text them and see if they can send me some along with some info on the bore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What will you do with all the extra engines when this build is over?

One suggestion I have is a shifter cart...Who wouldn't like to see a 500cc 2 smoke go cart?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah, just spent all day reading that KX500 cart build...that thing looks like it's a beast to drive, fun, but beastly.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Robby, that article was great, especially all the comments about writers grammar...do people really have nothing better to do with their time than to bash other people's writing skills?!? Just makes me laugh that after that awesome story about justice being served by somewhat "average" people the mass majority of comments are about how he wrote wood instead of would...

·
Registered
510 Posts
And then posted the picture on the internet for tardboy to comment on how not bling that dirt is. Haha

·
Registered
510 Posts
We ride a road called Tantalus, it's a short mountain road with nothing but switchbacks. It's nice but can be crowded and if it rains the road gets mossy, so very dangerous.

I don't have many good pictures but I do have one after a ride on an abandoned golf course. No pictures during since we didn't stop while we were there.

We are going to hit up a new spot soon, I'll make sure to take some pictures for you bud.

·
Registered
510 Posts
^Do you by chance have a picture of what the head should look like? Is there a certain burn pattern that shows you that the motor is working well?

·
Registered
510 Posts
What a story, you sir can yarn with the best of em. Can't believe you killed a turkey with a Ducati...that must have been a sight to see. Glad you made it out the other side with a wicked story to tell and a bike in one piece.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow K5, you're an artist...albeit an anal, OCD, serial modifying artist. Amazing work as always.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Do you think that will start a new fad :lol:
Possibly...kids are into some silly crap these days. For example, apparently it's "cool" to have a phone with a cracked screen, they are even going as far as buying a phone with an already cracked screen or even cracking it on purpose. All I know is that if one of my kids cracks their phone screen on purpose their going to be ghostly white by the next time they see the outside world...

·
Registered
510 Posts
With all of that said, and yes, it is exactly what i hoped you WOULD say, (helping the younger generation learn a bit as well.) A carbed motor has to be set right, for the right elevation, or it is not going to run properly. 4 stroke motors are a lot less finicky, but say outside of say + or - 1000 feet of elevation from where they are tuned, that is what you get and their ain't no more. Next question, and here is a truly open debate that is already been solved for the most part, but it still fun. F.I. two stroke motors. Has anyone figured out a truly self adjusting F.I. set up for off road 2 strokes motors. YES... But no retro fit as yet, damn it. Why?

And as Always...
This...I would love an F.I. 2 stroke...I'm sticking with the old carb on my 4t but man, would an F.I. 2t be a blast.

They have been using them on outboard marine engines for some time now and there is real gains to be had. There is a video of a 2t vs 4t boat tug of war and the 2t practically tows the 4t underwater, it's a pretty decisive victory.

But the reason I think the big manufactures of off-road motorcycles haven't gotten around to it is the cost of R&D vs the payoff...

To them it would be unwise to spend the amount of money it would take to make it work with how little money they would make from it.

We are already seeing a decline in the number of manufacturers that are producing 2 stroke dirt bikes because they have become somewhat of a niche market...

What a shame...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well.... I've been working so hard on my new build I haven't had much time to build the new top end...
I have started the port work and had the cylinder pre-bored for a 88 mm but it's been very sparse otherwise..

Here is a pic of my current project...

It's a 2016 KTM 250 SXF chassis with a electric start KX500 engine...
This will be in a bike build off against a identical chassis but the other builder is using a CR500 engine.
Should be interesting
That sounds amazing... I'm in

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts