SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 1673 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you start with the standard bike or a box of parts? In the short time I've been on this site I dont think I've seen a KX5hundy yet so this will be interesting, is it a mild or wild build?

:popcorn:

Also just as a heads up, this might get shifted to the Project Builds Showcase section

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a crf frame in this condition but I keep thinking it would be much cheaper to just buy one already in street trim. Whats a realistic budget on frame off build like this?

Did you start with the standard bike or a box of parts? In the short time I've been on this site I dont think I've seen a KX5hundy yet so this will be interesting, is it a mild or wild build?

Also just as a heads up, this might get shifted to the Project Builds Showcase section
It probably is cheaper for the average person to buy something already done.
However, I want some fairly specific things done to my bike and I don't trust most other peoples engine work.
If I build it, I know what's been done.
Cost? I'll let you know when I'm done :lol:

I started with a frame, donor bike and a few odds and ends in my junk piles.

If they need to move the thread because I mis-posted, it won't hurt my feelings.

Build will be mild but with some extra's to help performance.

Donor bike (For engine parts only):

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a crf frame in this condition but I keep thinking it would be much cheaper to just buy one already in street trim. Whats a realistic budget on frame off build like this?
If you can source already available parts....a very well setup SM is around 10k, all parts bought new and not using Fleabay........if you want something that will make you a build hero on this site....figure at least $5k more. If you can really ride and you're not just posing at starbucks....shoot for build hero status...imho

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you can source already available parts....a very well setup SM is around 10k, all parts bought new and not using Fleabay........if you want something that will make you a build hero on this site....figure at least $5k more. If you can really ride and you're not just posing at starbucks....shoot for build hero status...imho
Personally, I'm not looking for status or gold stars (no offense implied).
I'm going to build a reliable well made machine for my own enjoyment.
If you enjoy it great! I'm happy to share.
If not, that's fine too.
5K? At least.
10K? with what I have access to probably not :lol:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Disassembly can be as fun as fun as assembly :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Personally, I'm not looking for status or gold stars.
I'm going to build a reliable well made machine for my own enjoyment.
If you enjoy it great!
If not, that's fine too.
5K? At least.
10K? with what I have access to probably not :lol:
It doesn't really matter what it costs as long as you have fun doing it. From your pics it looks like you have a decent platform to start with. Im in the process of building a machine from a frame, engine, forks and a shock and I have a pretty good idea of what everything costs, it adds up in a freakin' hurry. Premium wheels, suspension and brakes alone will easily push the cost north of five grand. I'll keep an eye on your build progress, always liked the big bore smokers.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesn't really matter what it costs as long as you have fun doing it. From your pics it looks like you have a decent platform to start with. Im in the process of building a machine from a frame, engine, forks and a shock and I have a pretty good idea of what everything costs, it adds up in a freakin' hurry. Premium wheels, suspension and brakes alone will easily push the cost north of five grand. I'll keep an eye on your build progress, always liked the big bore smokers.
Thanks.
Yeah, the frame is a 01 so most of the parts are from a 98 or newer.
The K5 engine was basically the same from 89-04 so I'm using the 94 as I got a real good deal on it.
Everything else is being sold to help finance the project :)
I'm building my own wheels but I will send the suspension out to have it done.
The engine will be completely gone through, all new bearings, seals, ect.
The cylinder is out for plating.
I still have to send the crank out for a rebuild with a IMS rod, weld, and balance.
This project won't happen overnight as I am typically very busy.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks.
Yeah, the frame is a 01 so most of the parts are from a 98 or newer.
The K5 engine was basically the same from 89-04 so I'm using the 94 as I got a real good deal on it.
Everything else is being sold to help finance the project :)
I'm building my own wheels but I will send the suspension out to have it done.
The engine will be completely gone through, all new bearings, seals, ect.
The cylinder is out for plating.
I still have to send the crank out for a rebuild with a IMS rod, weld, and balance.
This project won't happen overnight as I am typically very busy.....
I understand the time thing completely, as I am typically on the road for work about 40 weeks a year. Hard to get anything done if you're attempting a machine build at the same time. Just keep working at it when you have the time and eventually it will come together.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little cleaning, wire wheeling, greasing, ect.
Everything is being either rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do I spy new triple clamps? Did you get those to adjust the offset? Or are they the old ones powdercoated and im just getting a bit excited? :bannana:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The clamps are after market BRP.
I don't remember the specific offset but these were making all the Street Tards happy when I bought them :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I ride my sand K5 and hit 85+ when the front starts to shake I actually loosen up the the bars and let them wobble.
It still goes straight, more or less :lol:

1 - 20 of 1673 Posts