SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 and thought they were all the same, but i have realized there was a change in 2002 with the rear linkage and some motor mount gussets up front.

I was not concerned untill a recent teardown and noticed that my front and rear motor mounts are moving (frame flex?) powder coat is cracked.

So im thinking of a winter project FRAME UPGRADE! :Funny:

I'm interested in frame differances, advantages & disadvantages.
Mods: what have yall done to make them stronger?
Any stearing head changes from 2000-2008? (angle)

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 2004 frame sitting around if you're interested. I also have a 2004 swingarm with the slider mounts already welded on and the useless chain guide machined off.

Both parts are perfectly true (straight) and structurally sound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be interested.

Looking to find out the diff between the years, what changes what years.

Every year Kaw says, thay make the frame stronger!
Is this true? 08 stiffer than 07 and so on till we get to a 2000.

Hard to believe they update the frame every year on a 65.:headshake

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred
Thats exactly what i was looking for!
Any Idea if stearing head angle changed between the years?

Thanks for the wisdom!

·
Registered
98 Posts
minimotardpilot,
Do you know if the old 2000 front end and shock stuff would work on your 2004 chassis, as I have a 2000.

thanks,
rob

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the shock, but I'm certain that the front end will work. If the shock doesn't work, you can get an updated version on eBay for extremely cheap. I bought one for $15 not too long ago to use as a spare when our Ohlins shock was being revalved. I resold it on eBay for $20.

In response to a PM regarding why I have a spare chassis andswingarm, the cheap factory paint on our old chassis was worn and I was sick of looking at it, so I planned to have the chassis powdercoated. Instead of stripping apart the chassis and having parts all over the place while the chassis was being powdercoated, I simply bought this chassis to have it powdercoated and simply transfer the parts into it. Needless to say, I never got around to it and sold the 65.

This would be a good opportunity for someone else to do the same.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think you should just buy my 2008 KX65 sm that I have for sale in the mini classifieds:thumbup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good assumption. I looked into it and the shock and linkage system from a '00 are FAR outdated. At minimum, you need an '02 and above shock and linkage system to work with an '04 chassis.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a great price!:thumbup:

FYI: 2004 linkage on my 2000 will not work. Pivot mount on swingarm differant location? Will not bolt up! Shocks are vary close to the same if not the same.

I just added gusets and powder coated well see how she does this weekend at Denton.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hay Andrew,

Just working on the mini & wishing i was preping the Husky for the SUPERMOTO at JRP!

Looking forward to seeing you & some of your great Pics at JRP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts