SuperMoto Junkie banner

Kush Drive or Tubeless Rims?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DenkiBlue 
#1 ·
Not ready to purchase just yet - but need advice on which direction to go.

Ok, so I have done a bit of research and it seems a kush drive would be useful on the street for my '04 CRF450R.
I know it is not critical, but most advice says that it couldn't hurt and I figure it has to increase the reliability by taking some strain off the drive train.

Then I came across the whole tubeless vs tube debate - and never really got to the bottom, but it seems that tubeless wheel set-ups have 'spinning' benefits for handling.
Once again, I know it is not a necessary thing, but I would prefer not to run tubes given the choice. But the only tubeless spoked-rims I can find are Alpina's and while pricey it would be magic to go tubeless that easily. I just don't believe I can get an Alpina kush drive for my bike??

So, what do you guys think is better:
1. Going for the excel/talon etc. set-up with tubes and a kush drive (RAD mfg), or
2. a tubeless Alpina set-up?

Any help on which direction makes a difference would be great!

Cheers,

See less See more
#2 ·
Get the best of both worlds. Get your kush drive hub/wheel setup, then seal it up and make it tubeless. Its really easy if you just take your time and make sure everything is clean. I made my wheel tubes using shoe goo over each spoke, then using the 3m tape over that. The shoe goo really isn't needed but i did it any ways.

#5 ·
x2.

I think the 30% who don't like it or it didn't work for them was due to poor prep, and sealing the rim. I got my rear to seal, but couldn't get my front to. So front is tubed, but pretty sure it was my fault as I was under a time constraint and didn't allow stuff to set-up properly, then rushed it even more on my 2nd & 3rd attempts.

#3 ·
I've read a bit about that, and there were mixed reviews but probably 70%+ seemed to recommend it - but I wasn't sure if it was really the best option for the longer term etc?? How long have you had yours that way?

Any trouble at all?

Just sounds too good to be true....lol

#4 ·
I have 14,000 miles on my kush hub wheel and about 9,000 miles on my $10 tubeless setup. It never seemed like that big of a deal except for not having to buy tubes again.

Untill a few weeks ago, when I picked up a staple. Didn't even know about it untill the next morning when my tire was flat. Running a tube, it would have aired out quickly and I'd been walking or sitting right behind the bars trying to limp it home.

Only took five minutes to plug it. Use rubber cement, put it all over the plug before inserting.

I've since picked up a nail and plugged that hole too.

#6 ·
I used the OutEx tubless kit with a little extra sealing/leveling to really ensure it took. it's only been a few weeks now and not many miles, but it's been holding level pressure the whole time.

Between the kit, swapping to an all Al sprocket (from a stealth) and different tires (Pirelli Rosso II -> Dunlop Q2) I dumped nearly 3 pounds from the rear wheel.

#7 ·
Not sure how many miles i have on my tubeless setup (no speedo :D) But i havent had a single issue. I also picked up a nail right after i went tubless, pull it and plugged it no probably since. A few words of wisdom for ya, it took me 3 attempts but that was my fault. First if you use soap/water to break your bead your going to want to completely drie off the rim (i whipped it down then ran the torche over), scrapped/cleaned everything off the rim, i put a drop of blue locktite on each spoke (had a problem of air coming out of a spoke my first attempts), covered the spokes/nipple with all purpose glue(basically shoe goo), let the glue level its self out/dry, then i covered all that with the 3m tape from the $10 tubeless thread (the tape is pricey but worthe it). Installed the tire filled her up and had no issue since. PS you can just use the tape but for me i liked to have as many layers as possible, i didnt want to have to do it again i was getting annoyed after my first failures. :anim_peep:

#9 ·
There are ways to go cheaper if you want to get a proven tubeless wheel setup. Alpina's STS system is available in a Carbon Matrix rim as well as a standard Alloy. Their rims are drilled specifically for the make of bike they're going on so you can get any hub made for your bike and have the Alpina's laced to them. :thumbup:

With the STS wheels, you can adjust the spokes, offset rims, or do any sort of maintenance without having to re-glue anything. Sealed nipples are the way to go. :arsenal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.