SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i welded up the 4.5 gallon tank in the first pic the second pic is my new project a bigger tank,the third pic is getting it smoothed out.hopefully get it done this week and see how much it will hold.hopfully around 6 gallons.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very nice Kub!!!

I agree with Davi though, although I don't know what your goals are. If you're consistenly going on long rides, then a bigger gastank is obviously welcome.

BTW, did I miss a topic...Where did you get the 4.5 G tank or did you make it yourself also??? Looks very nice with the gloss paint!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks sweet! what thickness did you use for the steel?:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i do a lot of long distance with my riding group and use my bike for commuting too.like always i do everything overkill plus i get my fabrication fix by projects like this! i used 22 gauge sheet metal for the tank.this tank i wanted a little more modern look to it so i threw in some extra angles for more capacity too.when i ride hard in the twisties i just throw in a half tank or so for less weight.heres a pic of the same xr with my touring gear on.i hope to have the tank on this week and some final pics.cant wait to go to the gas station and see how much gas it will hold!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finished the tank,i thought it might hold more but i got 6 gallons in it.im ok with that i guess!

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I seen you wanted a 6 gallon capacity the first word that came in my head was panniers...then I scrolled down..haha Nice work btw!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea i got some bodyshop experience.i have my custom paint and fab business since 1982.its hard to get work done when i have my bike at the shop!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yzfkneedragger,i do have saddlebags that hold another 4 gallons but thats pushing a lot of weight!i dont think i need the saddlebag fuel cells anymore since i got the bigger tank now.man,it would cost me $50.00 to fill up my xr!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your projects are awesome....i have been searching the forums/threads to find what type of seat you are using. If you adapted it from another bike, how labor intensive was it. Also, what type of front and rear fender are you using?

·
Registered
148 Posts
:pimp:Tanks alot for the great pics,Kubiak,I enjoy your posts.I finished my 450r and am getting it inspected next wk.Time to pay the piper!It's an absolute ANIMAL.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your projects are awesome....i have been searching the forums/threads to find what type of seat you are using. If you adapted it from another bike, how labor intensive was it. Also, what type of front and rear fender are you using?
hi,im using the stock xr650l seat that i just cut the foam and base a little and recovered.the front fender is off a ktm950sm and the rear is the stock 650l fender that i painted.hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts