SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a fun, agile, powerful supermotard.
My reason for narrowing it down to these three is because it would be my only bike. I have a zx12r now but thinking about trading it or selling it to get one of these three.
A few questions.

Which one would be the most comfortable for 500 mile days?
Which one handles the best in the twisties? Without sticking your leg out.
Which one has the least maintenance/cheapest to maintaine?
Which one will be least likely to make me miss my big sportbike?

I really would like to hear about your experience and knowledge of these three bikes.

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought this late Saturday, I would have been happy with the 950, but I've been looking for over a year and hadn't found what I wanted at the price I wanted. I put almost 500 miles on it Sunday and Monday. I did demo the SM-T twice, once solo and Saturday 2-up (about 200 miles). IMO the R is a different bike - spent this afternoon setting up the suspension and plan to ride the heck out of it this weekend. I looked at the Duc a little, and although I've never owned a Ducati, my friends have and it seems like there is always some drama. I don't think the KTM will be much worse to maintain than a Suzuki, Kawi, Honda, etc. Except the four qts of Motorex 10W60 and filter I bought was a C-note :(

I'm very lucky because I didn't have to get rid of any of my other bikes to get this, my CFO is very understanding. But I am selling my ST1300 just to open up room in the garage. I have an 04 10R and an 08 ZX14, as well as an SV1000, and it's as much fun as those, actually more and will be a hoot at the track. You will not miss your 12R after the first 24 hours. But then the KTM won't do 180... :D

I ordered the "T" seat for when I ride 2-up, but the "R" seat is best for the technical roads and the track. Although my gf and I rode the afternoon away and the only reason we quit was to go back and make a deal before they closed. It's just a dirtbike seat, and I was stopping about every 100 miles for fuel (riding pretty hard) and my arse felt fine. I never got off to refuel. The "T" seat pushes me too far forward (I'm 6-2) and makes it hard to shift with boots. The tard riding position is more comfortable for me, both physically (neck and back) and mentally (grew up on dirt bikes and dual sports). I could ride this bad girl all day and get up the next morning wanting to ride again - LOL!

Good Luck - put up some pics of whatever you get!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought this late Saturday, I would have been happy with the 950, but I've been looking for over a year and hadn't found what I wanted at the price I wanted. I put almost 500 miles on it Sunday and Monday. I did demo the SM-T twice, once solo and Saturday 2-up (about 200 miles). IMO the R is a different bike - spent this afternoon setting up the suspension and plan to ride the heck out of it this weekend. I looked at the Duc a little, and although I've never owned a Ducati, my friends have and it seems like there is always some drama. I don't think the KTM will be much worse to maintain than a Suzuki, Kawi, Honda, etc. Except the four qts of Motorex 10W60 and filter I bought was a C-note :(

I'm very lucky because I didn't have to get rid of any of my other bikes to get this, my CFO is very understanding. But I am selling my ST1300 just to open up room in the garage. I have an 04 10R and an 08 ZX14, as well as an SV1000, and it's as much fun as those, actually more and will be a hoot at the track. You will not miss your 12R after the first 24 hours. But then the KTM won't do 180... :D

I ordered the "T" seat for when I ride 2-up, but the "R" seat is best for the technical roads and the track. Although my gf and I rode the afternoon away and the only reason we quit was to go back and make a deal before they closed. It's just a dirtbike seat, and I was stopping about every 100 miles for fuel (riding pretty hard) and my arse felt fine. I never got off to refuel. The "T" seat pushes me too far forward (I'm 6-2) and makes it hard to shift with boots. The tard riding position is more comfortable for me, both physically (neck and back) and mentally (grew up on dirt bikes and dual sports). I could ride this bad girl all day and get up the next morning wanting to ride again - LOL!

Good Luck - put up some pics of whatever you get!!!

Thank you for the great info. Awsome looking bike!! Anyone else?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts