SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with making KTM wheels work with the FS 450? For how interchangeable all KTM dirt bike wheels appear to be through the years, I can see from parts diagrams that the axle changes to 26mm on an FS 450. Rear appears to be 25 like the KTM.

However, shops that list products like titanium axles for KTMs and Husky bikes with the same mm axles state that they do not fit the FS 450. This makes me concerned about difficulty making it work, even if I had a reputable machine shop to help with custom axles or spacers.

Long story short, was collecting parts to build a KTM supermoto, scored some forged alum Marchesini wheels. To my surprise a '19 FS 450 is still available nearby and my ambitious project budget far exceeds the cost of an FS 450. Interested to know if hanging onto the Marchesini wheels could work as a spare set.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Hi,

I’ve used older KTM sumo wheels on my ‘17 FS450.
I would have to confirm the details, butfrom memory it involved:

1.Removing the old style wheel spacers that went inside the bearings and running the new ones that go beside the bearings. The larger axle then runs directly in the bearing.

2. Using a disc spacer and longer bolts on the front. (It was cheaper to have one water cut and machined than buy a KTM one - KTM rapes us on parts prices in Australia.)

3. Removing the spacers as described, in the genuine cush drive wheels meant making a spacer between the sprocket holder and the hub.

First thing to do is see if the spacers in the Marchinesis currently go inside the bearings.

(Edit. I started this on a plane. Pressed “post” without seeing Skully25’s answer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Without the bike to mock them up it is a bit difficult to completely understand what I will need, but I do my best to plan ahead.

The wheels I have are KTM 2015 and greater. I think I'm getting hung up on the KTM front wheel axle inlet being 22mm (I measured), but the FS450 is listed as 26mm... I imagine the axle in this situation would not fit unless that measurement is the larger end piece for the fork axle clamps rather than the entire axle.

I did read another thread that mentions older style KTM wheels (which are 26mm front?) fit the newer ones by using the bike's original front spacers. I imagine this is a similar case if the axles fit.

These Marchesinis did not come with any spacers external of the wheel as they were brand new, never installed.

Otherwise, offsetting the rotor for wider triples and the sprocket, if removing existing spacers, makes some sense.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
The wheels I have are KTM 2015 and greater. I think I'm getting hung up on the KTM front wheel axle inlet being 22mm (I measured), but the FS450 is listed as 26mm... I imagine the axle in this situation would not fit unless that measurement is the larger end piece for the fork axle clamps rather than the entire axle.
As I mentioned: To get the 22mm, 2mm thick spacers (part of the stock wheel spacer) go inside the bearings.
Remove them, use the later model spacers that don’t go inside the bearing, and the 26mm axle fits inside the bearings. I think that’s how it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I mentioned: To get the 22mm, 2mm thick spacers (part of the stock wheel spacer) go inside the bearings.
Remove them, use the later model spacers that don’t go inside the bearing, and the 26mm axle fits inside the bearings. I think that’s how it works.
I have Husqvarna FE 450 2016 model and i find review on https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...usqvarna-fe-450-fe-501-fe-501-s-ar170878.html
that said
"As part of the MY2016 enduro updates, the FE 450, FE 501 and FE 501 S reap the benefits of new 22 mm front axles to replace the previous 26 mm axles for reduced weight and 22 mm offset triple clamp for improved balance between agility and stability"

Now i am not sure can i go with 3.50 x 17” for the front and 5 x 17” for rear or i must take in consideration this
22 mm front axle and buy smaller front wheel :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have Husqvarna FE 450 2016 model and i find review on https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...usqvarna-fe-450-fe-501-fe-501-s-ar170878.html
that said
"As part of the MY2016 enduro updates, the FE 450, FE 501 and FE 501 S reap the benefits of new 22 mm front axles to replace the previous 26 mm axles for reduced weight and 22 mm offset triple clamp for improved balance between agility and stability"

Now i am not sure can i go with 3.50 x 17” for the front and 5 x 17” for rear or i must take in consideration this
22 mm front axle and buy smaller front wheel :hmmm:

All you have to do is use ur stock spacers. Its not that difficult. You are making it harder than it has to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I’ve used older KTM sumo wheels on my ‘17 FS450.
I would have to confirm the details, butfrom memory it involved:

1.Removing the old style wheel spacers that went inside the bearings and running the new ones that go beside the bearings. The larger axle then runs directly in the bearing.

2. Using a disc spacer and longer bolts on the front. (It was cheaper to have one water cut and machined than buy a KTM one - KTM rapes us on parts prices in Australia.)

3. Removing the spacers as described, in the genuine cush drive wheels meant making a spacer between the sprocket holder and the hub.

First thing to do is see if the spacers in the Marchinesis currently go inside the bearings.

(Edit. I started this on a plane. Pressed “post” without seeing Skully25’s answer
Hi
I’m trying this also
Rear is ok, just needs some washers to line up
Front is a little bit tricky
Front spindle on my 2005 450 Ktm is 26mm Id
But bearing on my husky hub is 25mm Id
Stuck here now???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts