SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, yet another wild hair up my ass. I have recently become very fond of the KTM Superduke 990 and even more so now that I went to the dealership and sat on it.

The dealership said they would sell me an '08 (white in color) for $13,200 + TT&L and they have a special running through the end of July for 5.99% APR. What's y'alls opinion on this?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay?

I'm coming off an '06 R1 and still have my WR450 supermoto. Do you think it would be worth selling both of these to get this bike? Well, the R1 is already for sale, but the WR450 is not as of right now.

Feel free to throw out opinions on these bikes too!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dude i test road one sunday......i want one soooooo bad, but it would have to be the R model, black with the orange frame is so sexy....thats where i got the idea for my supermoto

·
Registered
332 Posts
Keep the WR sell the R1.

That sounds like a good deal for an 08 to me, but I'm in Cali..?

The SDR is super sweet and yes the frame is super sexy, but the suspension is way to stiff for street riding and the seat is not so comfortable.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, and the regular Superduke looks to be pretty decent for 2-up riding vs the SDR.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This particular dealer didn't have any R models. What's the main advantage for going to the R model (excuse my ignorance)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The R gets radial brakes, 4 litres more fuel capacity, redesigned front, new instruments, mirrors, led rear lights, colours and graphics as well as full Euro 3 compliance. The 990 R also gets several carbon fibre parts, orange frame, CNC machined headstock, steering damper, single seat unit (only available as a single seater) and more horsepower.

-----------------------------------------------

The standard 2007 990 Superduke gets the radial calipers, 4 litres bigger fuel tank, new chassis details and new instruments.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure it's a massive change in price too.

Hey Astroman - seems me and you are in the same boat of not knowing just what in the hell we want. Have you ridden any of the Superdukes? From all the reviews, it seems like this would be my perfect all around bike for my needs. Just haven't test ridden one......yet :D

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i rode one a couple eyars ago i loved it.. i cant wait to sell the GSXR to get a big V2 KTM....

Not sure if it going to be a SD or SM950 or even Adv950...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't wait to sell my R1 since I just don't ride it. The Superduke is just really tempting me. If you happen to be out and about shopping for KTM's, please do me a favor and let me know what prices dealers are quoting you for the SD since we live around the same area :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW - I've heard there's a dealership in Waco that treats people pretty good. I also saw an SD on ebay, brand new from a dealership, for $12,200, so I know this dealership can surely do better than what they quoted me.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
which dealer did you go? FW KTM or the one in Lancaster (Cycle Town South) ? The guys in Lancaster i heard they are the best around TX and not only...

·
Registered
19 Posts
The R gets radial brakes, 4 litres more fuel capacity, redesigned front, new instruments, mirrors, led rear lights, colours and graphics as well as full Euro 3 compliance.
This is the difference between the pre 2007 models and the 2007 on models. Not the difference between regular and R versions.

The 990 R also gets several carbon fibre parts, orange frame, CNC machined headstock, steering damper, single seat unit (only available as a single seater) and more horsepower.
This is correct. The R also has slightly different heads and ti-valves.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
This is the difference between the pre 2007 models and the 2007 on models. Not the difference between regular and R versions.

This is correct. The R also has slightly different heads and ti-valves.
i just quoted a KTM PRESS release..

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to DFW KTM off Hurst Blvd in Hurst.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ah the Superduke, where to begin....

First off let me say that in hindsight I would have probably bought an R version simply for the rearsets and triple clamp changes, as these are really the only limitations as a track bike and that's basically the only place I've been riding for the last two months. That said, the Superduke is the best street bike I've ever owned hands down, and most of my buddies who've ridden mine agree (even guys who have Duc 1098's and such). I mean what's not to like?

The riding position is civilized if not downright comfy, hell I'd tour on it with rigged up hard bags. The suspension is wonderfully compliant for street use, yet a couple clicks front and back turn it into a monster at the track. The motor is strong with a good spread of power, and always feels stronger than the HP numbers show (ask anyone who's seen mine on the front straight at Miller with far more powerful machines in reach). Even in stock form it sounds great despite the Euro 3 crap, and for a grand you can throw an Acra system on it and then things really sound awesome. And then there's the look. It's sort of polarizing and people either love it or hate it, but I've had more people ask me questions about this bike when stopped at lights and such than any other bike I've owned.

I've now logged about 1500 miles on mine, and roughly half of those have been put on at track day events. I've had zero issues with the bike, and aside from wanting a couple of items for track days (the stock rear sets are too low for aggresive track riding for example), I wouldn't change anything. As far as pricing goes, I don't know what to tell you there. I bought mine this last January so I got a pretty good deal on it. Being the bike season now, I'm not sure what people are paying.

Good luck and I hope you decide to get one!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the R does look tempting, but I'll have to check availability and price for around here.

But, based on everything I've been reading, this might be the only bike I need. Guess I could always keep the sumo for now and then if I decide that I just don't need it, I can always part with it at a later date.

Just scrounging up $13K + TTL for a bike is a chunk though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you plan on doing track days, the R might be worth the extra scratch, otherwise just get the regular one. I've looked at adding the R parts to mine like the steering damper and rear sets, and if you're buying OEM KTM parts it's expensive to say the least. If you are looking for a badass street bike that is comfortable, fast, easy to ride, somewhat unique and a hell of a lot of fun this bike is hard to beat. Honestly the asking price isn't out of line when you look at the components and packaging. Sure you can get a Japanese liter bike for less dough and they are undoubtably faster in a straight line (I've had several and loved them), but they are really pretty boring when it comes down to it and none of them have the soul this bike does. Besides, if you can ride it, squids on liter bikes are really fun to pass at the track or on the street... :arsenal

On a side note remember with the extra money you would save vs. buying the R you could get a complete exhaust system and other odds and ends.

Here's a pic of mine :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude, you gotta get those reflectors off the forks! That's worth hella HP - like 5 hp! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts