SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would most likely be classified as a rant, but here me out. I have been calling and stopping in to KTM dealers local to my area (3 dealers total) to look at the 690 smc or the 690 Duke. Nobody is really even interested in giving me the day without putting a deposit down. I have the cash and have no problem putting a grand down for a deposit and waiting for it to come in. Here are my questions; if I put a deposit down, when could I expect the bike to come in (asking to narrow it down to months). Next is there any place or person who has one just to see (I always snow check my sleds without seeing them, but a bike isn't just the same). What is the maintenance schedule and approx. amounts of the services? Could give me a firm price out the door?
Answers; when to come in? call back in couple of weeks.:hmmm:
No, I don't where you could see one in person, but the KTM USA web site shows you all the info that you would ever need. And no, we don't ever plan on putting one on the floor. Why should I is the response that I got.:bowdown:
Maintained, the pricing would similar to other bikes within its class. Who around here sells a single cylinder 690 performance road bike to compare too?:headscrat
I am business owner also, so understand some of the limited enthusiasm. But frankly I think it would have been better if he told me to piss off. :twofinger

Sorry, but it is hard for me to believe that I willing to part with $8-15K (looking at the Super Duke also) and the dealer doesn't even want to humor me with conversation.:damn: Sorry, KTM but I think a Duc or Tuono is in my future before a Duke is.
This is the first time that I have ever ran into something like this with any type of dealer. Sorry to carry on.
Joe

·
Registered
728 Posts
at my dealership we are all out of 690 smc's or enduro's and won't be getting any till the 09's come out. we do have two 990 superdukes in stock though.

not sure where you are located but if you want to come to a dealer and see one of the 690 smc's i ride mine to work everyday.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Who around here sells a single cylinder 690 performance road bike to compare too?:headscrat
it's a 653cc and it compares to quite a few other bikes in the Enduro market, but the SMC will more than likely be the benchmark for future SMs as well as Enduros.

That being said, most of us who own the '08 SMCs had to wait a REALLY long time ( some more than others ) with no expected arrival times. KTM isn't a super-duper-high-volume manufacturer like the Japanese manufacturers so a slow-down or hold on the assembly line makes a pretty hefty wake down-wind at the dealer levels.

Not speaking for the dealer(s) you've spoken to, but most of their hands are tied as to who gets allocated what and when. I was the on the receiving end of this very thing.

Most of us also bought our bikes off pure reviews and expectation since no one really had any '08 690 SMCs to compare to. I understand your rant completely.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a 653cc and it compares to quite a few other bikes in the Enduro market, but the SMC will more than likely be the benchmark for future SMs as well as Enduros.

That being said, most of us who own the '08 SMCs had to wait a REALLY long time ( some more than others ) with no expected arrival times. KTM isn't a super-duper-high-volume manufacturer like the Japanese manufacturers so a slow-down or hold on the assembly line makes a pretty hefty wake down-wind at the dealer levels.

Not speaking for the dealer(s) you've spoken to, but most of their hands are tied as to who gets allocated what and when. I was the on the receiving end of this very thing.

Most of us also bought our bikes off pure reviews and expectation since no one really had any '08 690 SMCs to compare to. I understand your rant completely.
I think part of the problem is KTM sells so quickily, some of the dealers think that you are not a true buyer if you didn't already have your pre-order in. Allocation is a part of several markets and I understand very much how it works. It is not to say that I like it though. I guess the next question would be if they are not inspired to sell a bike to me without begging, then how much help will they be when I have a problem?
Where is Hyde Park? I am near Syracuse. Hey, to be clear, I have always loved the dirt versions of KTM in the past and think the company itself is great. The dealer that I delt with in the past no longer carries KTM. :hammer:

·
Registered
569 Posts
if your dealer doesn't have one now, he may not be able to get anymore, i'm not sure if they are shipping any more than the 350 that went out a couple of weeks ago, NY is one of the first places for them to arrive, as they shipped out of Norfolk, Va....

I know the local dealers in my town, one said they're not availabe yet (i told him he was a fool, if he didn't order them long ago, he ain't getting any) and the other said they didn't order and weren't going to stock them....thats poor business, considering supermoto's are a hot item and would sell, especially if they did a bit of research

you may be able to find one somewhere, i drove 460 miles to go get mine, luckily found one since i hadn't preordered one...i would just get on the phone, get on KTMs site and get the dealers numbers and start calling

·
Registered
75 Posts
well said guys,
I had a hell of a time finding mine. I knew approx. when they were coming so I started hunting for a dealer to make a deposit. I was under the impression I was getting it and received a call from that dealer about a week before delivery. only to be told "well, we're actually just getting two enduro's, no smc". BUT, they helped me track down the next closest one, which was about 300 miles away, that hadn't had a deposit yet.

I think the quality of service will depend on the dealer them selves, as for KTM's response to parts and warranties, I've only heard good stuff.

I'd get crackin' if you wanna find the smc. Like they said above, there are a very limited quantity. good luck!

-D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Williamsville Ducati... actually in Holland, NY (40 minutes south of Buffalo)
716-537-2309, ask for Al. He's all business and sort of a small shop, so tell him you're ready to buy and I'm sure he'll chat you up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Williamsville Ducati... actually in Holland, NY (40 minutes south of Buffalo)
716-537-2309, ask for Al. He's all business and sort of a small shop, so tell him you're ready to buy and I'm sure he'll chat you up.
I just was in Hamburg Saturday and Sunday. Go figure. I will try to check him out.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We do have a 690 Duke on the floor and it needs a home. Give a call,ask for Bill or Vicky Also have a 690 Enduro, which according to the folks at KTM ,is pretty similar to the SMC. Buy a wheel kit and have the best of both worlds.
thanks,
Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts