SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up an 08 450 exc-r with 17"s, and was wondering how to change the wheel circumference in the computer. It comes setup for a 21" wheel. The ktm manual does not tell you how to change this. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have an 07, how do you get to the Wheel change setting in the computer?

Guy I bought my wheel from says you have to cut a wire in the harness before it lets you change wheel size. But I want to know exactly what wire first.

\

·
6,598 Posts
some people say you have to cut the brown wire so you can get into the wheel size settings

I got this explanation off ktm-talk and it doesn't mention anything about cutting wires though.

Disconnect the speedo from the loom 3 pin connector (black, red & brown?) or diconnect bike battery.

It does work on all 03 to 08 exc models and LC4 motors with EXC style display, but you have to start with the display showing running hours, not miles, then press and hold the MODE button till display blinks, cycle through with the MODE button, then when WS blinks you can adjust up/down with + and - buttons, then press MODE again, then press and hold MODE button

I leave my connector undone all the time for quick changes from SM to dirt wheel size. The light does not work, thats all
exc style display should be the slim speedo type

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried what you reccomended, but the only time ws is displayed is for like the very first second the computer comes on then it goes away. It would not let me cycle through to ws.

·
6,598 Posts
I tried what you reccomended, but the only time ws is displayed is for like the very first second the computer comes on then it goes away. It would not let me cycle through to ws.
you're still cycling through your normal speedo options. disconnect the mentioned wires (should be 1 connector), then you need to hold the modusbutton until the display starts blinking, then you can select the WS mode and set your wheelsize.

I reset mine just yesterday, worked like a charm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is ktm north america's email to me about this issue...speedo

Hi,

The 08 EXC speedo does not have an alternate wheel size function, sorry about that.

Please keep my email address strictly confidential.

Thank you,

Todd Jones

KTM North America Customer Service Manager

(440)985-3553

Not even a solution, just oh yeah sorry about that. What does that mean? do I need to buy a different computer? thanks.

·
6,598 Posts
imho it seems those guys don't have a clue.

I have a '08 530 exc, I reset my wheelsize with the method I quoted earlier and it worked. I'd be very much surprised if the US models came with a different speedo where it isn't possible to change wheel settings. they're all the same units, the only difference is the US models work with mph instead of kmh and you can even change those settings if you want to.

disconnect the plug with the 3 wires from the speedo
activate the computer by pressing the mode button once, make sure operating hours are selected and the numbre of miles
press and hold the mode button until the display starts to blink
go through the different options by pressing the mode button until you hit the WS option
change the wheelsize by using the - button to 1882
press the mode button once to lock the value
press and hold the mode button until the display goes back to normal
connect the plug and ride.

this method even works on the older style computers that were on the '04 and older exc models

·
Registered
5 Posts
Worked for me!
04 450exc
I bought a rare earth magnet from radio shack (64-1895) jb welded it to the new rotor and works good!
Thanks !!!!!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
milimeters(I think?) That number is just a base line. I have done a bunch of fine tuneing with my GPS and with my Dunlop Road Smarts I use 1847 and with my Conti's I used 1860. @ 40mph I'm almost dead on, below that and above, I'm a mph or so off. Still, 1880's is just a couple of mph off and good enough for most.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yep ---

Just ran out into the garage and did it. It works on the '06 SMC as well. (same speedo)

It was set at 1882 from the factory --- and WAY off. She's now at 1860.
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts