SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Merry Christmas! For years I've been thinking about making a KTM 85 play bike, street legalizing, and using it for short errands around town.

My background: I've owned mopeds (pedals, oh yea!), scooters, vintage street bikes, modern street bikes, enduro bikes (currently KTM 500), and 200 horsepower sport bikes, but my most fun was always on lightweight bikes under 50mph driving around the city as part of daily life. I can get anything street legalized. 6'1", 185 pounds, married, suck at racing. For all you full-sized SM junkies, I used to own a DRZ400sm, and I sumo'ed a CRF450x.

The bike: a new KTM 85 (or aluminum perimeter frame TM 85?), suspension mods, front brake mods, lighting coil, lights, 17s, +/- 105cc kit.
How I'd use it: non-highway trips around town, to work, church, shopping (backpack).
My experience: ergonomically I don't mind the slightly small fit straddling KTM's 85, or the slowness of a 20 hp bike on the street. You mini riders know what I'm talking about! I've never ridden an 85/100 with heavyweight springs, or with street tires, or upgraded brakes.

From you guys who have owned asphalt mini 2-strokes, how do you think an 85 would fare in traffic? I've heard to avoid prolonged engine braking, but anything else? Are the stock brakes enough to stop the bike when a car cuts me off? Are upgraded brakes sufficient? Are you all upgrading the rotors (floating, larger diameter)? the calipers (KTM big bike)? the master cylinder (KTM big bike)?

What about maintenance when used like this (casual, stop-and-go)? KTM recommends 20 hour intervals. TM recommends 30 hour intervals. KTM has a larger dealer network, the 85 SXS option (+$650, larger rotors, pipe, silencer). TM has a larger clutch (for adults?), rear linkage, and that beautiful frame, for $1000 more. Getting the TM from Canada won't be too hard, and TM-USA might even import them again in 2015.

Thanks for the help!
Matt

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like the idea of an 85 to rip up the local streets. I think as long as you don't do any extended 65 MPH stuff an 85 would be a lot more fun than a Grom. I haven't had a sumo-ed 85 but my brother used to ride his 85 with us guys on our bigger bikes. That would include long stretches on the road riding sometimes close to 100 miles in a day. The bike never had a single motor problem and was a big bore/ stroke bike. I think as long as you don't live somewhere where the traffic is nothing but stop and go you should be fine. Judging by your name if you live on a military Base,Post, port, camp Etc it would be a blast!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I say go for it! You'll be absolutely fine on a 2 stroke 85. I love my kx65, its a freaking work horse. I may get some flack for this, but I don't pay much attention to service intervals on a 2 stroke. I just check the compression every so often and as long as its in spec I keep riding. I do a top end maybe once a year. As long as your jetting is good you'll be fine. The biggest mistake people make when trying to jet their bike is changing the premix ratio instead of changing the actual jetting. Run the stock brakes initially and if you don't feel safe with them, then you can always upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

For me, the Grom has several problems: sluggish engine, low ground clearance and suspension travel, too heavy for a small bike, and delicate plastic parts. When I rode it, the brakes worked great though, and the wide-spaced tranny was convenient.

Most of the streets on military bases have 25 mph speed limits, like residential neighborhoods, so top speed is only an issue if I'm going into town or far from home. So none of my daily rides are long or fast.

Thanks for the tip about trying the brakes stock first, then deciding to upgrade later. Before I bought my KTM 500 I thought about upgrading the brakes, but it works just fine for me stock! Money saved.

I appreciate that there are guys out there who have enjoyed the explosive 2-stroke powervalve on a mini-sized, lightweight bike like I have. Does anyone else have experience riding an 85cc on the streets?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh, maybe install a key ignition switch? Or carry a bike lock with you. Wouldn't want anybody chucking that little thing in the back of a truck and driving off.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a CR85 with a street title, although i never put it on the street I do track it and would have no worries about streeting it. I have 17's and 12's for wheels as well as a big rotor and brembo caliper and master. There are many cheaper ways for bigger brakes but either way I would say upgrade the brakes for sure! I am more interested in the comment, " I can get anything street legalized" PLEASE pm me I am battling getting my KTM street titled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a CR85 with a street title, although i never put it on the street I do track it and would have no worries about streeting it. I have 17's and 12's for wheels as well as a big rotor and brembo caliper and master. There are many cheaper ways for bigger brakes but either way I would say upgrade the brakes for sure! I am more interested in the comment, " I can get anything street legalized" PLEASE pm me I am battling getting my KTM street titled.
Have you read the South Dakota thread?

·
Registered
412 Posts
No I havent, do you have a link? Ill search as well but im working right now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Great thanks! I've been looking through that thread, my biggest problem is that I can't get an MSO, I know the original owner, original dealer but are unable to get any paperwork other than a bill of sale. The DMV has no record of the bike because it was never registered. My local dealer is unable to get a duplicate MSO. 2001 KTM200EXC.

Im on page 2 of that thread maybe it mentions it later.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ill get in on this. I have a WR450 that I bought with no title, and no MSO, just a bill of sale from GA. Originally I was going to get it plated through SD (theres a big thread on here about it). But the process of getting a dirt title from SD, then trying to convert to AL seemed daunting. The state would have to inspect your bike etc... I didnt really want that, but was willing to do what it took. I called a local title company and explained that I wanted a title, was going to file for a bonded title. My lady suggested we try the abandoned title route. This is dependant on the bike not having been registered before, doubt you'd have a problem. I was asked about the bike, told her it was an on road, off road, enduro road legal thingy and filled out the needed specs such as motor size, miles etc. She filed it and ran an ad in the local paper for 2 weeks (requirement for abandoned titles). Even if someone wanted to step forward and claim it, I put the cash value up to where theyd be crazy to do so. After that, I asked to pay a little extra fee for them to take care of filing the paperwork with the state, since I didnt want anyone to see the bike. Not long after, I recieved an AL title, street legal. Since it was an AL title and not out of state, no one has laid an eye on the bike. You can walk in with the title and get a plate just like any other vehicle. Important thing to note!! - since YOU filed an abandoned title, the original bill of sale from who you bought it from becomes VOID. The NEW bill of sale will be given to you by the title company and will be shown as YOU buying it from YOU. This may be an isolated occurance, but I have plans to try it on other bikes and may be worth a try for ya. Hope that helps some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts