SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm just about done with a full rebuild on my 2007 ktm 690. I've got the crank locked, and I'm trying to line up the notches on the cam and cam retainer bracket.

Without the tensioner it'll be lined up properly like this (ignore the marker, look at the marks below the bolt):

With the tensioner applied, it'll be just slightly off like this (ignore the marker, look at the marks below the bolt):

Is this normal, or have I done the timing wrong? Maybe the timing chain has stretched?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
How was that mark before you disassembled it? Have you moved it one tooth and then tensioned it to see where its at. Did you mark it with a sharpie at the bottom also? If it were me I would go ahead an throw a new cam chain on being you said you just did a full rebuild. Usually its pretty common to replace it after a rebuild. Actually I'm getting ready to tear into my 690 engine to replace the counter shaft. How did your rebuild go? Did you have any problems? Any pointers or suggestions. I have the service manual and everything seems pretty straight forward. I'm actually going to send my head out to get it ported. I've heard the 690 responds well to porting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's what I can tell you. I have my engine out today and I started to tear into it. I set it at TDC according to the timing lines at the cam. When I went to lock the crank I noticed the hole was slightly off. So I moved it a tiny bit and then threaded in my locking bolt. Sure enough when I looked at the lines on the cam they were slightly off just how yours are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the same here but even more offset than here, my chain and rails are worn, when the valves come back up they push the camshaft so hard it gives tension on the other side of the chain making the TDC mark not that perfect, as the manual states, the 3 holes at the top is ok. a manual tensioner can handle a stretched chain, the hydraulic one not. the hydraulic will extend too far and will go into installation mode, leaving you with a loose chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts