SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys !

First of all I want to share that it is surprisingly difficult for me to find aftermarket parts for my ktm, not to mention that second hand parts market is almost dead. I ride KTM 690 SMCR from 2017 and it has slip-on exhaust from Remus. However, everything still seems to be very restricted, heavy and heats badly. Also, I bought recently KN square filter but didnt install it yet. It would be great if someone with more knowledge and experience could help me with few things which I wrote below.

• is it worth to change stock header ?
  • are any full exhaust systems available for my KTM ? I can only find full exhaust systems from akrapovic for KTM 690/SMC/R between 2008-2013. Whenever I ask google about bike (2017) it returns with nothing. (I had a full titanium in my xr650r and it was one of the best mods)
  • is it air filter box cover worth replacement ? KTM Air Filter Box Cover 690 SMC/Enduro/R 2008-2018
  • what bar mirrors you recommend.
  • what websites are best for buying accesories
Thank you in advance for help,

Kind regards,
Bart

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2012 with the Akra exhaust and looks and sounds great - It came with the bike so not sure about the weight of it.

But i dont believe the bike changed that much from 2013 - 2018 so it should fit.
Someone else might be able to confirm

I dont think its worth changes the stock header tbh
I dont have much of an opinion on the filter mod - i am happy with the bikes power. if i want more i just hop on my CB1KR

I got some generic bikeit round mirrors plus an adaptor, a bolt and some washers

hope this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I would like to have the same setup as you. For me, the ktm smcr from 2013-2018 didnt change much, but if you would like to find any exhaust for my back it is only up to 2013. Not sure why is that, I thought maybe the exhaust mount or something like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys !

First of all I want to share that it is surprisingly difficult for me to find aftermarket parts for my ktm, not to mention that second hand parts market is almost dead. I ride KTM 690 SMCR from 2017 and it has slip-on exhaust from Remus. However, everything still seems to be very restricted, heavy and heats badly. Also, I bought recently KN square filter but didnt install it yet. It would be great if someone with more knowledge and experience could help me with few things which I wrote below.

• is it worth to change stock header ?
  • are any full exhaust systems available for my KTM ? I can only find full exhaust systems from akrapovic for KTM 690/SMC/R between 2008-2013. Whenever I ask google about bike (2017) it returns with nothing. (I had a full titanium in my xr650r and it was one of the best mods)
  • is it air filter box cover worth replacement ? KTM Air Filter Box Cover 690 SMC/Enduro/R 2008-2018
  • what bar mirrors you recommend.
  • what websites are best for buying accesories
Thank you in advance for help,

Kind regards,
Bart

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are having any issues finding parts. Don't forget to search under the 690 enduro r model as well. All is relatively the same as far as the engine goes. That's what is more abundant here in the states for those model years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a Full Titanium 3 part Arrow system on a 018 -701 SM, great quality and sound. They also make header and mid pipe in Stainless, and the muffler in lots of material.

I also have a 018 690 Enduro, stock header, Wings Titanium/Carbon muffler.

The stock header is very close to the Arrow in size and design so I don’t think there’s much to be gained in increased power by replacing it, gains are only in tiny weight savings and cool looks factor( especially Titanium that turns blue with use).

The stock 2 piece exhaust system is a crazy design, it has the CAT in the muffler so it gets extremely HOT, it has a high heat Donut to keep heat from spreading to the header,
So the muffler opening on fwd end is big to allow for donut ( crappy design) my donut moved inboard of exhaust clamp area and I crushed my mid pipe ( Arrow) by accident, eventually I made a custom Aluminum sleeve to take up the Donut spot, sealed It with hi temp silicone RTV.

But the Wings slip on muffler was a direct fit to the any header NO Machine Shop needed.

so in closing if you want a header get a Arrow in Stainless, or Titanium (if you want better looks ).

if you want a great Quality/Sound that’s a direct bolt on get a Wings muffler, it only comes in Titanium/Carbon, that’s the best anyway.

P.S. by changing the exhaust you probably have to add a Tuned Power Commander 5 to help it achieve All the power gains now available and keep the engine reliable, and if you’re adding that much you probably want a Rottweiler Air intake system to finish it all off. (That what I have on both bikes ) (Big power incase over stock)...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fyi I owned a 2013 690 SMCR. Couple of sources for parts you can check for any year mfgr, will need to check if they ship internationally. The 1st teo maybe
KTM Parts and Accessories - Fast Free Shipping over $75!
www.ktmhutt.com

Enduro Shop DE was able to get me OEM parts and some accessories, great servic
enduroshop.de - Gurtz GbR
Dohnaer Str. 49
D - 01219 DRESDEN
Tel: 0351-2729660
Fax: 0351-2729680
e-mail: [email protected]
web: www.enduroshop.de

Join KTM Forum US & KTM Forum UK if not already a member. Lot’s of knowledge there.

I ran stock exhaust header, Akro can, EVO Map and bike ran fine.
Kev’s O2 mod (a forum participant on the KTM Forum’s).
MG Bike Tech levers (see their website).
CRG LS Bar End mirrors.
Carbon Performance header heat shields (less expensive then Akro).
2017 cannot be that much different then 2013.
The Akro can mount bracket is different from 2014 onwards. With then larger fuel tank and aft fairings on 2018 onwards, maybe another bracket as well.

great bike, enjoyed mine immensely!

have fun, ride safe !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Additionally; To clarify I did run the KTM Evo 1 intake cover along with the Evo 1 map and akro can.
Agree with others; more airflow out exhaust, requires more airlfow in and more fuel. Tune ECU and maps there are applicable to early years, possibly later years too. Other options are Power Commanders, Vortex ecu’s etc..
Be Cool!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts