SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

I've been having some issues with my front sprocket oil seal, long story short I saw it leaking and the nut was loose, decided to tighten it and check if it would seal it. It didn't.

Ordered new repair kit from KTM, picked everything a part, fitted all new parts with no issues, applied locktite and tightened to 80 Nm as specified in workshop manual.

And still it seems to be leaking, though not that much as before but it creeps on to my rear tire after riding for a while which is not ideal. (The nut is still tight in place at 80 Nm)

I noticed that previous owner used Motorex 10w50, and I used Motorex 10w60, might that be leading to the leak considering it is a bit thinner?

Could it be something with the sprocket? It's not original and all steel. (No rubber as I saw some other post talking about)

I've been trying to search the internet for previous posts but didn't find any post with a conclusion.

Appreciate all input.

Clip
Video of problem

Think I've found the issue, seems that the sprocket has been grinding on the engine, because of not the right fitment I'd guess, thus generating heat to melt the spring loaded seal as seen in the video, no wonder it's leaking.

The sprocket hits the engine before putting pressure on the washer that holds o-ring. The previous owner could have told me this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Check to make sure your chain slack is correctly set. Too tight it'll cause that seal to leak.

Also don't forget to install your shifter arm bolt ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, and thanks for both replies.

The problem is fixed by mounting the sprocket the other way after some research. The previous owner did mount it with the rubber towards the engine for some reason, being my first bike I didn't notice.

But then I ordered new rep.kit and replaced it, now it seems to be fully sealed, and it's not an original sprocket.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts