SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I just recently bought my first bike ever,a KTM 690 SM '07. Before the purchase my friend gave me is 690 smc for few runs,and it was a beast,even as a newbie,I did some wheelie cause it was that easy on that bike. Now as I got my bike,I spend every day around 2-3 hours riding it,learning it,and now after a month,I am slowly learning to do wheelies. I noticed on the SMC my friend can powerwheelie it at 2-3 gears without much problems,and he tried my Sm,he cant even hit it in 2nd gear. Is it that much difference that the tank is on the front on the SM? My gearing is kinda short 14/40. Anyhow,when I try to do it in 2nd,my rear wheels just spun out (they are brand new tho,but the concrete is so slippery it hurs,cant even hit the wheelies in 1st gear) but on the newer road parts 1st gear wheelies are fine,but 2nd gear the bike just accelerate,without going up.
Shall I try to learn clutch ups? Im a bit unsafe about that,but if I must,I will learn it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What tires? Brand and model. What's the date code? Is the concrete you're spinning up the tire on really slick (like some indoor concrete)? Gravelly? Or what? With reasonable tires on reasonable pavement, SMs are far more likely to lift the front than spin up the rear, although I have mistakenly spun the rear when I didn't expect it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Weight, where both bikes carry their gas, gearing, fuel maps...etc. Very different bikes except for the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires are Dunlop Sportsmart 2,I think 2014-2015,they are brand new,got them with the bike. The concrete is really,I mean reaaally slippery/slick,you can even slide with your sneakers on it (70% of the city is like this). The only parts where I can get a good grip are the new fixed/reconstructed concrete parts. To be honest,I enjoy slidig all the time,but I dont thinks so my tires are thinking the same :D I would rather enjoy some wheelies instead,but cant :/
I know that SM's have front tank,the SMC have rear/center tank,and it does make a huge difference.
I have a custom akra-ish map for my custom slip-on (bike came with it,the previous owner get rid of the ugly dual exhaust,but the akra is expensive as shit. So now I have a single slip-on) The bike is pulling strong,everything is fine. I guess I have to learn the clutch ups,if I can not power wheelie it :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts