SuperMoto Junkie banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
That has to be under warranty, right? Let KTM deal with it. As you've probably read this could be any number of things causing the stalling. If you really want to get into it, you should be able to find a service manual to download. Perhaps the 2013's are a bit different.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2nd update. 3 weeks, no stalling, no issues. Get your bikes to a dyno tuning center after adjusting you voltages. Love this bike now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just finished doing this and wanted to capture some notes while it's fresh. Pardon the edits but i'm saving while I write because the site keeps deleting my progress

Tools you'll need
T20 tamper-proof torx bit
7mm box-end wrench
2.5mm allen wrench

Prep
--Pull the airbox
--Pull fuse #7 so that the headlight isn't burning while you're doing this
--I also had it on a battery tender, but probably unnecessary
--Disconnect the motor drive connector DR1 (see pic below)
--Connect TuneECU, connect your cable, and turn on the ignition.

The DR1 Connector. Don't start measuring until you've disconnected this.

How it all works

On the diagnostics page there are two voltages (I'll call them top and bottom) on TuneECU, but you're actually taking three measurements. You'll record the top value with the throttle body at-rest, and also held fully-closed with your finger. The TPS sensor on the left-hand side of the bike affects both of these measurements in equal amounts. Adjust it up .02v, and both the at-rest and held-closed values will go up .02v.

The left-hand side sensor.

The adjustment screw on the top of the throttle body affects the difference between the at-rest and held-closed values for the top number. Ideally they're exactly .20 volts apart, and adjusting the left-hand side sensor can bring both into alignment. (Technically it affects the top # when the throttle butterfly is held closed.)

The adjustment screw on the top of the throttle body.

Finally, the bottom voltage is adjusted using the sensor on the right-hand side of the bike.

The sensor adjustment on the right-hand side of the bike.

Adjusting the Top Voltage Number
1.) Record the top # with the throttle body at-rest. This should be between .70 and .74 volts.
2.) Hold the throttle butterfly closed with your finger and record the top # again. This should be between .50 and .54 volts.
3.) Calculate the difference between the two values. If it's between roughly .17 and .23 volts (ideally .20 volts)
If either of these are out of spec you're going to need to adjust.

IF the difference you calculated in #3 IS within that tolerance, you can adjust the sensor on the LH side to raise/lower both the at-rest and held-closed values for the top voltage number. Loosen the two screws that affix the sensor to the bike (don't remove them!) and rotate the sensor to the right to lower the value, or to the left to raise it, until the top # is between .70 and .74 volts. Hold the butterfly closed an re-measure that as well to see that it's between .50 and .54 volts.

IF the difference calculated in #3 is NOT .20 volts (+/- .03 volts) remove the silver cap covering the adjustment screw, loosen the locknut, and then holding the screw with a 2.5mm allen wrench, adjust the depth of the screw. As you unscrew it (turn the allen wrench counter-clockwise while holding the locknut) to reduce the depth, you're raising the value of the held-closed measurement. Try a quarter turn, then tighten down the locknut and re-measure. Repeat as necessary until the at-rest and held-closed voltages are .20 volts apart. Once you've done that then adjust the sensor on the LH side to raise/lower both the at-rest and held-closed values for the top voltage number.

4.) Finally, and much easier, adjust the bottom voltage number in TuneECU using the sensor on the right-hand side of the bike. It should be between .70 and .74, and rotating the sensor right to raise the value, and left to lower it.

Tighten down everything when you're done and open/close the throttle fully several times to make sure the values are still in spec. It seems to have a margin of error of about one one-hundredth of a volt, and putting it in the middle of the spec should make sure it's in range even taking that into account.

When you reconnect the DR1 motor it'll throw the values off. It's normal and to be expected. Button everything back up and do the 15-minute ECU adaptation routine. (I.e., start it and let it run 15 minutes without touching the throttle.)

Hope this helps someone,
Jeff

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just loaded the standard akra maps. The tps throttle % is only reading 9% at WOT. Wtf is going on here? The bike had some stalling before, now I'm afraid to turn the bike on like this.... I believe my tps voltages are slightly out, can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It won't hurt it. But basically your voltages need to be adjusted. Even after that occasionally you will see that reading. I never figured out why. Spend some time dialing in your 2 voltage settings and then try the maps.
You will see from my previous posts, I did everything and the only fix was a custom dyno tune by a qualified tech.
Good luck.
My original dyno run ran very lean at low rpm, thus the stalling.
After the dyno tune it ran amazing I almost dropped it on the first ride after a unexpected power wheelie that never would have happened before the tune.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I took the bike out and it was not right. Acting really lean and the rpms hang quite a bit. I actually don't understand this the bike was not far off before, just wanted to load up the akra maps and do a 15 min reset. Now I am going to pull the injector and get it pro cleaned and fiddle with the tps voltages. Didn't really want to get into this bs again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure if you have read up on the fuel pump issue, but if you haven't changed the filter and / or pump you should, especially if you are going through the trouble of cleaning the injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stalling when at normal operating temperature

When the bike gets hot it stalls in idle and when applying a small amount of gas to leave slowly in 1st gear.
I followed the guide on how to adjust TPS using TuneECU - The figures are 0.52, 0.73 and 0.73 now it was way off before - but I still experience the same issue but only when the bike is at normal operating temperature, when cold everything is fine.
Anyone got any thoughts on fixing this?
ktm 690 smc 2008

·
Registered
5 Posts
When the bike gets hot it stalls in idle and when applying a small amount of gas to leave slowly in 1st gear.
I followed the guide on how to adjust TPS using TuneECU - The figures are 0.52, 0.73 and 0.73 now it was way off before - but I still experience the same issue but only when the bike is at normal operating temperature, when cold everything is fine.
Anyone got any thoughts on fixing this?
ktm 690 smc 2008
Fixed by replacing the fuel pump and filter :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys!
I'am superwombat from Spain.
First of all... sorry for my English...
I recently bought a used 690 smc 2011 and I'm experiencing stalling problems when clutch lever is on, gear on end throttle off... for example when I arrive to a STOP signal or a roundabout.
When the bike goes off I can start it again but is very annoying and also dangerous in some places.

I've been reading every thread I found on the Internet about stalling issues in this model... uk forums, spain forums and now I've found this one.
I've tried to fix it uploading a new map to Ecu, reset ECU, reset throttle sensor but at the end... wasting time and nothing is fixed.

In the first page of this thread I've read that one of the problems could be "Cause of the problem is in two throttle sensors on each side of keihein throttle body".
I read that is possible to readjust throttle voltage values. I also see that Procedure on how to adjust these 2 sensors can also be found in Repair manual from pages 165-169.
I've got a repair manual but in the pages 165-169 just speaks about lubrication system.
I've tried to find this repair manual on the Internet but I can't.

Is it possible that any charitable soul can tell me where to find it or send me a copy of this manual?

Please, I need your help.:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey superwombat
It is not a huge issue to adjust the TPS settings. I followed the guide found here: http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115864-KTM-690-fix-staling-problem-using-TuneECU
but remember this critical part to prevent damage to the throttle body: then unplug motor drive connector thats under keihein throttle body on the left side of the bike (connector DR1 from manual). There are 2 connectors and DR1 is one that has more then 3 wires! U will know if u unplug wrong one by hearing drive motor working when u use your finger to fully close throttle valve (see repair manual on how to close it with your finger).

I used the manual found on this link: http://www.syndicatecentral.com/Garconis/smc/manuals/2008_690Enduro_Repair_Manual.pdf
I guess the procedure is the same for your bike, but the values may be slightly different.

But in my case it was not the TPS settings even though they were way off, it was something in the fuel system. Not sure what, but after I took it all apart and flushed it through and cleaned filters and so on I have not experienced any problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey superwombat
It is not a huge issue to adjust the TPS settings. I followed the guide found here: http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115864-KTM-690-fix-staling-problem-using-TuneECU
but remember this critical part to prevent damage to the throttle body: then unplug motor drive connector thats under keihein throttle body on the left side of the bike (connector DR1 from manual). There are 2 connectors and DR1 is one that has more then 3 wires! U will know if u unplug wrong one by hearing drive motor working when u use your finger to fully close throttle valve (see repair manual on how to close it with your finger).

I used the manual found on this link: http://www.syndicatecentral.com/Garconis/smc/manuals/2008_690Enduro_Repair_Manual.pdf
I guess the procedure is the same for your bike, but the values may be slightly different.

But in my case it was not the TPS settings even though they were way off, it was something in the fuel system. Not sure what, but after I took it all apart and flushed it through and cleaned filters and so on I have not experienced any problems.
Thank you so much krede99!! :clap:
I've just downloaded the manual and going to print theses pages.
I tried to reset the TPS settings and discard first thing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The left-hand side sensor.

The sensor adjustment on the right-hand side of the bike.
is this a English left-right thing? when I sit on the bike then the left sensor is the right-hand side of the bike, according to this post. or are the pics posted wrong?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts