SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am new to this site. I have owned a 690 for about 2 years now.
I have done no modifcations on it. I was riding it a while ago and it started cutting out and being a nightmare to ride.
I then noticed that the FI light will flash 7 times prior to starting the engine.
The bike will only go to 4100/4200 rpm and then cut out, a bit like it is being rev limited at this engine speed. It is always the same engine speed no matter what the gear.
馃ゴ
The 7 x FI flashes indicate to be a Lamba probe issue. I bought a new probe, installed it and no change. I was told the ECU needed to be reset. I took it to a dealer and they connected the engine analyser to it. They found 13 faults which they cleared. But still the FI light flashed continuously after the initial ignition check, but before cranking the engine.
And the same plenty backfiring and sometimes explosions from the fuel body on deceleration!!

I was told by the dealer that maybe the TPS was faulty. They said both should be replaced and reset once new ones are installed - about 2 hours work. TPS is R2900 and the other one is R4900.
There is a new spark plug in the bike. The new plug made no difference.
I have been told maybe it is a fuel pressure or a dirty filter. But why the 7 flashes from the FI light?
However how does one explain the exact same cut off engine speed?
The fuel starvation would vary - it would not cut at exact same RPM!!

Any tips would be much appreciated as the bike is awful to ride now!!

regards
Allan

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All
I am new to this site. I have owned a 690 for about 2 years now.
I have done no modifcations on it. I was riding it a while ago and it started cutting out and being a nightmare to ride.
I then noticed that the FI light will flash 7 times prior to starting the engine.
The bike will only go to 4100/4200 rpm and then cut out, a bit like it is being rev limited at this engine speed. It is always the same engine speed no matter what the gear.
馃ゴ
The 7 x FI flashes indicate to be a Lamba probe issue. I bought a new probe, installed it and no change. I was told the ECU needed to be reset. I took it to a dealer and they connected the engine analyser to it. They found 13 faults which they cleared. But still the FI light flashed continuously after the initial ignition check, but before cranking the engine.
And the same plenty backfiring and sometimes explosions from the fuel body on deceleration!!

I was told by the dealer that maybe the TPS was faulty. They said both should be replaced and reset once new ones are installed - about 2 hours work. TPS is R2900 and the other one is R4900.
There is a new spark plug in the bike. The new plug made no difference.
I have been told maybe it is a fuel pressure or a dirty filter. But why the 7 flashes from the FI light?
However how does one explain the exact same cut off engine speed?
The fuel starvation would vary - it would not cut at exact same RPM!!

Any tips would be much appreciated as the bike is awful to ride now!!

regards
Allan

Registered
Allan I had a 2013 690 SMCR and it would stall & shut off after riding about 100k, always the same place on way home. No FI fault lights posted though. I went through all the fuel system troubleshooting, ecu reset, injector cleaning, checking fuses, new spark plug, cleaned/serviced DNA air filter. Eventually went in the tank and found the fuel hosing from pump to filter (inside tank) would kink, at the filter, starving fuel to engine. I replaced the filter, cut out kinked tubing where it mated to filter and no more issues. There was also a KTM forum post (since lost to me) that showed these filters gunked up and dirty, that would cause similar. Does not address your FI light (7 blinks). However something you may want to check first. Ride safe !

Registered
Throttle body popping there was a youtube post of the induction rubber boot coming dislodged.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Allan I had a 2013 690 SMCR and it would stall & shut off after riding about 100k, always the same place on way home. No FI fault lights posted though. I went through all the fuel system troubleshooting, ecu reset, injector cleaning, checking fuses, new spark plug, cleaned/serviced DNA air filter. Eventually went in the tank and found the fuel hosing from pump to filter (inside tank) would kink, at the filter, starving fuel to engine. I replaced the filter, cut out kinked tubing where it mated to filter and no more issues. There was also a KTM forum post (since lost to me) that showed these filters gunked up and dirty, that would cause similar. Does not address your FI light (7 blinks). However something you may want to check first. Ride safe !
Thanks so much for the reply!! Much appreciated!

Registered
Hopefully, you've resolved your problem. I have a 2013 690 enduro with about 35k miles on it. I looked your blink code (7 x short) up in my manual, and couldn't find it. The 02 sensor code is 1 x long, 7 short. 3 x long 7 short is the ignition coil. Watch the code carefully and see what it is. As to symptoms, the people here have already given you good suggestions. In the end, this is still a simple motor. You need fuel, spark, and compression happening at the correct times. Something I do quite often and is very easy to do is to calibrate the throttle. Power on, slowly roll the throttle to full and back to close. Then recycle power. I still have the original throttle body. Intake boots can cause leaks if they become unseated. If the intake system has been modified at all, there may be plugs on the intake/throttle body that can fall off and create intake leaks. I would suggest confirming the blink code, and follow up on it. If it's still a problem after that, eliminate the simple things first, and chase the problem down.

Advrider is a great source of information. You will have to join the forum (email/password is all) to access the information.

Sadly it seems most, though not all, techs know less about this bike than the owners. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't figure it out though assuming they are still on their centralized analysis system that they put in place a few years back. Best of luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for the info - much appreciated!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully, you've resolved your problem. I have a 2013 690 enduro with about 35k miles on it. I looked your blink code (7 x short) up in my manual, and couldn't find it. The 02 sensor code is 1 x long, 7 short. 3 x long 7 short is the ignition coil. Watch the code carefully and see what it is. As to symptoms, the people here have already given you good suggestions. In the end, this is still a simple motor. You need fuel, spark, and compression happening at the correct times. Something I do quite often and is very easy to do is to calibrate the throttle. Power on, slowly roll the throttle to full and back to close. Then recycle power. I still have the original throttle body. Intake boots can cause leaks if they become unseated. If the intake system has been modified at all, there may be plugs on the intake/throttle body that can fall off and create intake leaks. I would suggest confirming the blink code, and follow up on it. If it's still a problem after that, eliminate the simple things first, and chase the problem down.

Advrider is a great source of information. You will have to join the forum (email/password is all) to access the information.

Sadly it seems most, though not all, techs know less about this bike than the owners. I'm surprised the dealer couldn't figure it out though assuming they are still on their centralized analysis system that they put in place a few years back. Best of luck.
Yes, the guy seemed glued to his computer analysis!! Logic at the end of the day with fault finding always prevails!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts