SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have a bike with a crank shaft out. I think my 8 year old needs a CRF150R motor but somehow fitted into a KTM65 Chassis. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? I am seeking advise on the possibility of doing it. Point out what the drawbacks would be. I think there is room, but I haven't measured. What do you think? Maybe Service Honda has attempted something like this. Didn't they put a CRF250X motor in a CR85R Frame?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I will be the first to say...no way, no how. The 65 chassy doesn't have enough room for that huge motor. There's BARELY enough room for that itty bitty spark plug you have to use in it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh and I don't know your 8 year old but I have a hard time believing that he needs more than a 65. There are adults that still rock 65s on this site. Not to mention all the adults that still rock xr50s.

Baby steps man you don't want to see your boy scare him self and lose interest or get hurt at all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've seen guys with fully built crf50 tak and kitaco motors in them but the motor work and fabing was thru the roof and a stock 65sx was for a kid is still faster. But what do I know ;-)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Brian,
That was some major fabricating. Did you ever ride it when you lived back there? I would think that would be very hard to ride.

Preston,
Has your son already been riding the KTM65 on supermoto or roadrace tracks? If so and he needs more power then, have at it. I agree with some others, it would be much easier to get a 150r and put 12's on it. I know there are a bunch of pic's of them and I've seen a few for sale recently. When I went to Stockton earlier this year, Josh Serin (sp?) was riding a 150r with 12's and he is very small and 8 or 9. He was also very quick on it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The 426 Tony had in the YSR had a stroker crank and a big bore kit. It was like a 453cc motor. It was, at one time, producing like 63 HP to the rear tire. The bike was seriously fun to ride, but it was not the fastest bike on the track at the time. It was at a disadvantage due to the extreme weight that had to be added to the bike to make the frame sturdy enough to hold the motor in place. It would have gotten smoked by a fair rider on a RS125.

I only know all this because I am the guy pictured in the black/orange/blue leathers riding it in the photos on the main page. Tony and a few other guys helped me construct a YZ250 two stroke powered YSR back in the day. it was much lighter than Tony's 426 and thusly got around the track a bit better.

Brian was not around back then, but I would probably say that we would have had our hands full trying to keep up with Brian and his son Kinser on their KX65s.

Those Frankenbikes were more trouble than they were worth to be quite honest. The last thing I would do is try to make another one and then try to go fast on it. All that fabricating is fine if you have a professional do all the work, but most of the time they end up being a maintainance nightmare. Shit vibrates off, mount bolts break, things just don't work like they were supposed to. Stick to something the factory made, then just make small improvements, that is my $.02. That is coming from a guy who spent lots of time welding parts back on and waiting in line at the local fastener store.

Paul G

·
Registered
114 Posts
Paul
I was at Marshalltown race back in the day ( i had a YSR 50!) and the monster was circulating around the track. I also think it was at Blackhawk Farms once. It was cool for sure. I don't know who was riding it that day, but they were going pretty good:bowdown:. .....
Good price on your bike. Someone will end up with a top notch bike.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I remember when Tony took it to Blackhawk. I think Ian rode it over there and used it to take the riders school. I think Tony was going to build a 250F at one point, but either never found a motor, or lost interest first. He said that the 250F motor would have been the perfect powerplant for a Frankenbike YSR.

I think Tony is mostly involved in quads now, and helps a guy who runs the GNCC cross country events.

Too bad about the marshalltown track. There are not any places to ride around here anymore, unless you want to pack up and travel at least 4 hours for half a day of riding. Hopefully something works out so the track can reopen at some point.

Brian, good luck this season.

Paul G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts