SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 01 ktm 640e last week that I’m converting to a supermoto. the bike is in amazing shape. I went to install my new SM headlight for the bike because it had some really big headlight assembly on it before (looks kind of expensive but ugly as hell to me lol). When I opened everything up I realized I was going to be doing some wiring.. and a lot of it.
the previous owner added a trailtech vapor and a centech ap2 as well as led blinkers. I’m lost on where I can even tuck any of this and make it looks half way decent behind a small supermoto style front headlight. Anyone with a 640 care to show me how their wiring looks behind the headlight?
D175E599-0545-42B0-85F6-998FC563B239.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
he also had some sort of 9v charger mounted in the dash to the centech as well as headlights that I’m no longer using.. I take it I should just get rid of the centech?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went through and got all the extra wiring out. I didn’t transfer any wires other then removing what he had jumped into wires I needed and reconnecting them one by one and transferring a ground and power wire from the fuse panel I removed to the vapor tach. Now the bike only attempts to start periodically something is lose I’m guessing and I can’t find it.. I found a starter relay that I noticed would make a small click when the bike would fire but no noise when pressing start any other time (it’s sealed but I’m seeing some corrosion). Out of four wires on the relay two are constant and one gets power when I press start but one stays dead the whole time. going to switch it out tomorrow but any info on things to check would be greatly appreciated
he also had some sort of 9v charger mounted in the dash to the centech as well as headlights that I’m no longer using.. I take it I should just get rid of the centech?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are a couple of ways that the relay can be wired in.... I think I see it in the picture. Unplug it and see if there are some 2-digit numbers on the relay right next to each of the 4 terminal (like 30, 86, 87, 87a)..... the fact that you have 2 wires hot all the time kind of makes me think the relay may be stuck "on".
I will try to look at the wiring diagram for my '02 exc and see if KTM wires the relay the way I am thinking.
Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
KTM wiring diagrams are a bit of a challenge, they are written in 5 languages at the same time! Check the one you call dead to see if that has continuity to ground (I think it will).... If that is the case, then it appears your relay is stuck "closed" meaning it is always trying to turn over the starter motor. So it is clicking only when it becomes "unstuck" and actually works like it should.
When you change it out, make sure you get a KTM part or a relay with the exact same part number...... there are many different types of relays, and they all look the same on the outside! ;)
Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KTM wiring diagrams are a bit of a challenge, they are written in 5 languages at the same time! Check the one you call dead to see if that has continuity to ground (I think it will).... If that is the case, then it appears your relay is stuck "closed" meaning it is always trying to turn over the starter motor. So it is clicking only when it becomes "unstuck" and actually works like it should.
When you change it out, make sure you get a KTM part or a relay with the exact same part number...... there are many different types of relays, and they all look the same on the outside! ;)
Keith
Thank you so much Keith I just went and tested power on the relay and I’m not sure if the relay is playing jokes on me or if I just wasn’t paying attention last night (I’m guessing the latter of the two lol) but two are ignition, one turns on when I press the start switch and one is grounded whether the key is on or off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried calling a couple shops to get the relay and they couldn’t cross the part number so it looks like I’m gonna order one and hope that’s my issue! Sending the plastics off to get painted next week and waiting on my warp 9 wheels anyways

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
picked up two relays and the battery is on the charger for the next couple hours it only had 160 ca out of 600 so I’ll find out soon how everything goes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, so now the job of the relay is to pass the power from the battery (always on) to that last terminal (not the ground) when you press the starter button... Sounds like the relay is just not completing the circuit by passing the power on through...... OR the battery doesn't have enough ass to make the relay close when you press the start button.
Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so now the job of the relay is to pass the power from the battery (always on) to that last terminal (not the ground) when you press the starter button... Sounds like the relay is just not completing the circuit by passing the power on through...... OR the battery doesn't have enough ass to make the relay close when you press the start button.
Keith
I got two relays (the seller just gave me two, Won’t catch me complaining) but I’m still dealing with the same issue. I had the battery tested it said charge so I left it to charge at an auto parts store and they tested it after the charge and said it was bad( good voltage but would hold a charge and was stuck at 180 ca) Brought the battery to electro who said it was good but I think he just tested voltage.. heading to grab a cheap battery to see if that’s the problem now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keith
I also realized my brake light isn’t working just the tail light. The break switch at the lever receives power every time I turn the ignition on but will only send power when the receiving wire is disconnected I don’t get it and Im starting to wonder if I’m chasing one problem all over the place or if I’m finding all kinds of s***. The bike was running flawless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"but will only send power when the receiving wire is disconnected" I need a little more explaination on this?? Also, does the 640 have a switch on the front brake?? or just the rear pedal?... The front brake switch adds some complexity, and sometimes a diode or 2 into the mix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"but will only send power when the receiving wire is disconnected" I need a little more explaination on this?? Also, does the 640 have a switch on the front brake?? or just the rear pedal?... The front brake switch adds some complexity, and sometimes a diode or 2 into the mix.
The two wires going to the front brake switch have bullet connectors about 8 inches from the lever switch, the ignition side gets power every time I turn the key on, the wire on the other side of the switch that sends power (to the brake light I’m guessing) only has power when I unplug the bullet connector and hit the brake. if I connect the bullet connecter it kills the power to the wire. If I unplug that wire and test power from the terminal on the switch it works every time I hit the brake. Where ever that wire is leading to is killing power to the switch. I gave up I’m bringing it to a shop tomorrow I’m sure I can figure it out if I took more time and had more electrical tools but I need to spend time working on my hydro drag ski right now. I really appreciate the help and I’ll post the bike when it gets back it should have the paint and wheels on the next post ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, I hope you find someone that takes it easy on you (price wise)..... I was going to suggest why move the the rear taillight and see what kind of signal we get back there. That bike should have a rear brake switch as well (most times when the rear brake is a disk.... the switch is a simple pressure switch that replaces one of the banjo bolts).

Also, I have been meaning to ask you about the headlight that came on your bike.... I am collecting parts to do a scrambler build on my XR650L, that light might fit the need. I guess I would have to see it.
Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I hope you find someone that takes it easy on you (price wise)..... I was going to suggest why move the the rear taillight and see what kind of signal we get back there. That bike should have a rear brake switch as well (most times when the rear brake is a disk.... the switch is a simple pressure switch that replaces one of the banjo bolts).

Also, I have been meaning to ask you about the headlight that came on your bike.... I am collecting parts to do a scrambler build on my XR650L, that light might fit the need. I guess I would have to see it.
Keith
I was recommended a good mechanic from my buddy who has been using him for years when I dropped off the bike the guy seemed very honest and I hung around the shop with him talking for an hour. Hoping for the best with that. I think I’m going to bring a new battery by his shop and see if that’s my problem because I’ve had a few people suggest a dead cell. I will send pictures of the headlight assembly tomorrow with some measurements

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh man, you took it in without trying the new battery?? That may definitely be the starting issue, but there is a little more testing and stuff to figure out the brake light issue.... Glad to know you find someone by recommendation.... always better than just picking a name out of the yellow pages (ya, I'm that old LOL).
BTW what kind of drag ski are you working on?? (I might need pics of that bad boy too, LOL). I just picked up a hood for my SXR 1500.
Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh man, you took it in without trying the new battery?? That may definitely be the starting issue, but there is a little more testing and stuff to figure out the brake light issue.... Glad to know you find someone by recommendation.... always better than just picking a name out of the yellow pages (ya, I'm that old LOL).
BTW what kind of drag ski are you working on?? (I might need pics of that bad boy too, LOL). I just picked up a hood for my SXR 1500.
Keith
The cool thing is the guy said he has no problems with me swinging by and trying something if I have an idea with the issue so I’m going to pick up a battery tomorrow and swing it by. My ski is an 05 gp1300r hull with a very built 2018 svho motor out of a gp1800. It will be just shy of 500 hp when it leaves my garage this time but will be upping the boost once I get everything dialed in. I’ll shoot ya some pics when I send the photos of the headlight

1 - 20 of 23 Posts