SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the 2004 SMC and the '05 & '06?:headscrat I just don't like the rear fender but I would like to know if the bike is mechanically the same as the '05 / '06?

Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Negative... Still 5 speeds till 690 SM's came out..

·
Registered
605 Posts
My recollection is there are several tweaks between 04 and 06, with the most significant being the 04's used BST carbs and single exhaust. The 06 uses Keihin carbs and dual exhaust.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
'05 & '06 is the same & yes KTM Lc4's are parts bike & the rear sprocket & counter shaft sprockets can be different.

When I p/u mine the other one which serial# was one diget B-4 mine had different gearing & it was 17/40, mine was 16/39.

The differance from '05/'06 model from '04 & earlier is the most obvious is the '04 & earlier have a single exhaust & '05/'06 has dual exhast.

but more importantly, the '05/'06 has a bigger/better flowing carb :thumbup:

the '05/'06 put out more ponies stock (after the carb restrictor is removed) than the '04 & earlier & '05/'06 rev's faster.

What is noticable also between the 2 is the '04 & earlier vibrates less than the '05/'06 which has to do with smaller counter balancers to make it rev quicker.

I like the tail better on the '05/'06 because you can clean it up better by drilling out 2 holes on the tail light to instal led turn signals & dropping that useless extended fender :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
'05 & '06 is the same & yes KTM Lc4's are parts bike & the rear sprocket & counter shaft sprockets can be different.

When I p/u mine the other one which serial# was one diget B-4 mine had different gearing & it was 17/40, mine was 16/39.

The differance from '05/'06 model from '04 & earlier is the most obvious is the '04 & earlier have a single exhaust & '05/'06 has dual exhast.

but more importantly, the '05/'06 has a bigger/better flowing carb :thumbup:

the '05/'06 put out more ponies stock (after the carb restrictor is removed) than the '04 & earlier & '05/'06 rev's faster.

What is noticable also between the 2 is the '04 & earlier vibrates less than the '05/'06 which has to do with smaller counter balancers to make it rev quicker.

I like the tail better on the '05/'06 because you can clean it up better by drilling out 2 holes on the tail light to instal led turn signals & dropping that useless extended fender :thumbup:
my 04 has the same fcr41 carb as my buddies 06.

same brake caliper.

whats up with the counter balancer never heard that before but i dont think thats true man.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Only difference is the exhaust/tail section, other than that it's basically the same bike save for slight gearing differences and different OEM tires on the '06 bikes.

edit: I believe the '04 cluster is different too

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ya My 06 Has 40 Tooth On Rear -stock Not Sure On Frt But I Think Its A 17.
Has Plenty Of Top End-tops Out At 110 Mph Or So!

·
Registered
605 Posts
My recollection is there are several tweaks between 04 and 06, with the most significant being the 04's used BST carbs and single exhaust. The 06 uses Keihin carbs and dual exhaust.
doh - sorry guys, misinformation there on the BST carb for '04. Is there a way to edit your posts so I can clean this up?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Here are all of the differences I could find....yes this is a little preview of something in the works...shhhhhhhhh

http://625smc.com/wiki/index.php5?title=2004-2006-625SMC-Differences
cool man figure it out.

im pretty sure the 04 came stock with 16/38 gearing might want to look into that.

lots of people will argure the dry weight difference too. i believe someone weighed the extra can in at 8 pounds. did you find those old threads of mine they are kind of funny. my 04smc with with smog removed, headlight/tail light replaced for lighter models, and excel rims...full of gas ready to ride on a pallet scale weighs 302 pounds it that helps anything.

the gas tanks are different you sure?

i tried to learn that rake/trail suspension height thing too... the problem was that most info is for the 04 625sxc right? my pink slip says 625sxc on it and some shops dont even have the 04 625smc on the computer.

anybody actually weigh an 05-06smc on the pallet scale...im getting de ja vu from this :laughingr:laughingr

·
Registered
106 Posts
the gas tanks are different you sure?
Checked the schematics and you're right, tanks are the sames 04-06

...some shops dont even have the 04 625smc on the computer.
I know...that's why I'm working on a wiki that compares parts and so we can find what fits on our bikes!!! woot woot for when it gets rolling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts