SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll try to be brief while still relaying pertinent info. My 2004 KTM SXC 625 is still in the shop with no diagnosis, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. About once a month (I ride it almost everyday), while on the interstate cruising about 70mph it will start bogging down and die. If I pull over and screw around with it for 3-4 mins it will fire right back up and RIP for about 3 miles and do it again. All the way home. Not real safe on the interstate. And its not a gas tank venting problem. That's the first thing I checked. The guys at the shop think I'm nuts since they can't reproduce the problem. :headshake I told them it only happens like once a month and it's annoying. Any thoughts? So far its only happened on the interstate. Around town it NEVER disappoints. :hmmm: :headscrat

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure u probably looked. But a similar thing happened to me and it was a kink in the fuel hose between the tank and the carb.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would run a ohm meter on the stator, coil, and CDI.
If a stator is going out they will often start just fine and run until they get hot which builds electrical resistance and then, no spark.
Let it cool a bit and they start just fine.
That is where I would start although I have no experience on that specific bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KTMripper, I checked that and that's fine but thanks for the input. K5saveslives, I'll have them check when they call back tomorrow (at least they better). I just hope it doesn't get too expensive! I wanna ride!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I hear you brother... Nothin worse then when you can't ride...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Have you pulled the fuel petcock and cleaned the screen? Maybe the screen is dirty and when you're riding down the highway you happen to be low on fuel. Not low enough to require reserve, but low enough to try running fuel through a dirty screen on the petcock.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea! :thumbup: I'll try that. I haven't heard from the shop in a week. I'm about to call them and tell them I'm coming to get it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2004 SMC. It felt like when you run out of gas. Sometimes it would come back to life before coming to a full stop, other time it would take up to 10 mins before it started again.

Like you, I tought it was fuel related but I read somewhere it might be the ignition coil. For me, thats what fixed the problem. I changed the coil, and spark plug wire and it never happened since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm bumping this to get a little more feedback. I got the bike back from the shop. They couldn't replicate the problem so they did nothing... :bs: So the second day of riding after getting it back, same problem. Just started choking out. I just feathered the throttle for a bit as it was dying and it roared back to life for a couple miles. I had them replace the ignition coil. Now I'm just buying a new gas cap whether thats it or not. I just don't want to keep replacing parts. The bike gets hotter in city traffic than hauling down the freeway and it never happens in town. So I'm kinda ruling out heat as an issue. The thing HUALS ASS 99% of the time w/out the slightest hesitation, so I'm kinda ruling out the carb. I'M RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS :damn::headscrat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today when it happened I furiously unscrewed the gas cap but there was so much going on on the highway, IDK if that was the problem. I just ordered a totally new gas cap and vent tube today. Hope that helps. Who knows. Thanks for the input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts