SuperMoto Junkie banner

ktm 560smr not getting spark??

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  argilo 101c 
#1 ·
Hey i have a ktm 560smr that has been converted to street and currently gets a spark like 1 in 100 kicks.. very frustrating. i sent the stator and flywheel back to trailtech where i bought them and they checked out fine. I have a spare ignition coil and a spare pick up unit that both measure the same ohms, not sure what the correct reading is but those parts should be good.. brand new plug, new boot and wire... i even bough a spare cdi to no avail.. what next?
thanks for the help
Chris

#2 ·
Check the kill switch for short --
check the ignition key switch and clutch switch if you have them-

If your spark plug cap has the old style coil hooked to it try trimming the end of the coil wire where it hooks to plug cap -- cut off 5 mm and screw back on --

Try a new spark plug --resistor type can go bad --

#4 ·
I have a 06 smr 560 that is street legal also. I was riding along and it died on me like it was fuel. There was fuel in the tank and the engine was receiving it. I am thinking it is the stator i am having problems with. The reason why i am thinking that is because for the past two weeks my tack (vapor brand) will only come on when i really rev the bike up. If I am riding at a normal speed it will turn off until I get on it. I would really appreciate the help. I heard it could be the ignition coil because I'm not getting a spark but with the tack acting weird like that it leads me to think it is the stator that was going out and then finally gave up the ghost.

#5 ·
I dont Own a Smr But I would Start By Cleaning all your Electrical Connections... Yeah It does sound like your stator might be bad.. Having to Wind the engine out to get proper voltage to run your dash is a good Sign of that... Take Heart Though.. Your bike Is a Decade old now Depending on the mfg date so Its no surprise that your stator would begin to act up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.