SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i was wondering if any of you could fill me in on the ktm 530 or 450 exc. I already know they are fast and fun, but i was wondering how the maintence would compare to other 450 (crfx, wrf, rmx etc) also how often would it need a rebuild compared to the other bikes mentioned. and ALSO, maintence between 530 and 450 themselves. THANKS

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I was looking this stuff up a while ago(I'm hoping to get a 530 soon), and it seems like a relatively low maintenance bike. The manual(you can find it on the KTM site) calls for oil every 15hrs and a filter every other change(I think?), but there is an oil cooler out that vastly increases the oil capacity and lowers the temp. and from what guys over on ADVrider are saying you might be able to go around 20hrs or 1000mi on an oil change with it.

You might want to stay away from '08s and '09s because of a few issues that some people had with them. I think that the '10s and '11s have had the bugs worked out. If you want more info about the '08s PM Skully and ask him about what he's been through with his. On the other end of the spectrum though, I've got a friend with an '08 that hasn't had any issues.

I'll try to remember when I get home to dig up a couple threads I started on this topic and post 'em here for you. :thumbup:

·
6,598 Posts
If you want more info about the '08s PM Skully and ask him about what he's been through with his. On the other end of the spectrum though, I've got a friend with an '08 that hasn't had any issues.
people told me I'm crazy for still sticking with my bike considering everything it's put me through. I just typed out everything I've dealth with on another board, now I'm starting to believe I really am crazy :laughingr

oh well, considering I have a buddy with one of the very first 530's, he beats on that bike (meaning pulling wheelies with a dead cold engine right after he pulled it out of the garage) and the only thing he's had to deal with is a leaky crank seal... I'm starting to think somebody up there don't like me :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have a 530 and I ride it as a dirt bike, dual sport and supermoto. They are the best bet for a do-all motorcycle. Because it is street legal - you are a step ahead of any of the non-street legal bikes. I have two sets of wheels and just switch. I have had the bike for a year and half and have gone through probably 8 rear off-road tires and 2-3 supermoto tires. I change the oil after every long ride or after 4-8 hours of riding.
I have ridden tight single track after changing gearing 13/48, gone on long dual sport rides, been to easy track days and the bike is still rock solid. Great bike, expensive but great bike

Mine is an 09. The only difference now is they changed the cam chain tensioner, improved the piston rings for less oil blow by when under high RPM and I think that is about it. I have not had a lick of issues. I just changed the needle and messed with the pilot and main jet, and took off some of the plumbing. You do blow off turn signals and the rear fender support for the license plate does hit the rear tire so change it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Scott,you guys really raved about the 530 in the magazine. How often are valve checks? I'm looking for a 450.
I have a 530 and I ride it as a dirt bike, dual sport and supermoto. They are the best bet for a do-all motorcycle. Because it is street legal - you are a step ahead of any of the non-street legal bikes. I have two sets of wheels and just switch. I have had the bike for a year and half and have gone through probably 8 rear off-road tires and 2-3 supermoto tires. I change the oil after every long ride or after 4-8 hours of riding.
I have ridden tight single track after changing gearing 13/48, gone on long dual sport rides, been to easy track days and the bike is still rock solid. Great bike, expensive but great bike

Mine is an 09. The only difference now is they changed the cam chain tensioner, improved the piston rings for less oil blow by when under high RPM and I think that is about it. I have not had a lick of issues. I just changed the needle and messed with the pilot and main jet, and took off some of the plumbing. You do blow off turn signals and the rear fender support for the license plate does hit the rear tire so change it.

·
6,598 Posts
I

cct is a known failure item, got a dirt tricks tensioner on mine. last rebuild I used a wossner piston instead of an OEM part. decreased my oil use by as much as 60 to 70% and noticably improved bottom end torque. OEM rings suck...

valves are decent, those have barely moved at all in just under 200 hours of use, only had to adjust them twice to far and it wasn't much.

·
Registered
916 Posts
cct is a known failure item, got a dirt tricks tensioner on mine. last rebuild I used a wossner piston instead of an OEM part. decreased my oil use by as much as 60 to 70% and noticably improved bottom end torque. OEM rings suck...

valves are decent, those have barely moved at all in just under 200 hours of use, only had to adjust them twice to far and it wasn't much.
That's awesome with the valves, I take it they're shims and not the set screw type?
A 530 is on my radar too.

Lou.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have checked my valves once and they were fine -

Cam chain tensioner is ok on the 09 - you just have to let the bike warm up and let the oil pressure rise. You can run a '10 OEM - supposed to be better or a dirt tricks if you don't like the tick when the bike is cold

Rings - yes it does eat a little oil when you ride hard or long steady rides on street with med to higher RPM. When you hit 35-40 hours you can service the top end and put in '10 oem rings - they are supposed to help oil blow by. I like stock KTM pistons - I would not run an aftermarket unit

Again - I have a load of hours on my bike and it is still all stock.

If you are a hard-core trail rider, slow technical stuff - I would think about looking into the increased volume water pump and the small radiator fan. Not the big one the smaller one KTM offers in their hard parts catalog. In the summer I have boiled over my bike a few times in tight stuff.

·
6,598 Posts
Cam chain tensioner is ok on the 09 - you just have to let the bike warm up and let the oil pressure rise. You can run a '10 OEM - supposed to be better or a dirt tricks if you don't like the tick when the bike is cold
it's not just when the bike is cold, on most bikes when it's just idling there's not enough oil pressure to keep the chain tight. you can hear a distinct rattle caused by the slack chain hitting the rail. my stock cct didn't even fail yet but it didn't manage to keep the chain tight in some conditions. put the dirt tricks tensioner in and no more rattlies, even when the engine is cold, really puts your mind at ease as far as that's concerned.

the design of the stock cct hasn't been changed since it's been used in 2008 on the first RC4 bikes so it can just as well fail on any of the younger models. I had a buddy with an '09 where his cct actually failed, put a dirt tricks unit in there as well and it's been fine for the last 125 hours.

I like stock KTM pistons - I would not run an aftermarket unit

Again - I have a load of hours on my bike and it is still all stock.
I used to like their stock pistons, until the XC4 engine came along... DJH and other knowledgeable engine builders over at KTMtalk have expressed their disappointment with the stock rings on the new 450/530 bikes. DJH even recommends using an aftermarket piston and he knows his stuff. he seemed impressed by the available wossner pistons, better durability and they completely solve or severly decrease any oil use you may encounter with the stock piston. even my own mecanic has been using wossner pistons for quite a while and hasn't been disappointed yet so I put one in my 530.

KTM uses a single piece oil scraper ring on their bikes unlike other manufacturers that use a 2 ring and 1 spring design. the one piece unit can work if it's thick enough. on the RFS bikes the oil scraper ring was 3 mm thick and never caused any oil use/blowby issues. when the XC4 bike came along they dropped the thickness to 2,5 mm and now pretty much every XC4 bike is suffering from oil use. supposedly on the 2010 bikes KTM altered the design of the oil scraper ring and changed the coating on both rings so they will last longer and let less oil get by. even so, OEM pistons are still more expensive so in case of the RC4 engine aftermarket is not only better for the engine but for your wallet as well.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
:hmmm: Does the wossner piston come with their own rings?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ just what i wanted to hear lol. i noticed that the drz and 690 have vertually the same weight? does this mean that the 690 will feel the same off road weight wise as then drz?

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
^^ just what i wanted to hear lol. i noticed that the drz and 690 have vertually the same weight? does this mean that the 690 will feel the same off road weight wise as then drz?
Hmm, not sure. It really depends where it holds it's weight, where the CG is. I know the tank is under the seat, in place of the subframe, so that might lower the CG a bit. I do know two things for sure though, the 690 has better suspension outta the box(DRZ is supposed to be pretty good once re-valved), better breaks, and more power, so it can deal with it's weight a bit better. It also has EFI, and a hydro clutch.

If you're gonna get one of the 690 Enduro models, get the R, it's got an extra inch of suspension travel.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Just got to ride my friends 530 today. Little bit of dirt, little bit of street, the bike was set up for dirt, the thing is AWESOME. The power is intense in comparison to my DRZ, and the weight difference, it felt like my Freeride MTB. I'm gonna get my own ASAP!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts