SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have recently converted my 2004 525 exc to supermoto with a 5" rear wheel and 160/60r17 pilot power tyre, the problem is the tyre is rubbing on the inside of the swingarm on the brake side. I'm ok on the chain with minimal clearnace and no rubbing. What is the best option, let the tyre rub off and keep it that way? Offset the rim? put a spacer in to try and get some clearance? or put a different size tyre on?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have an 04 525sx with the same set-up only I'm running michelin supermoto slicks. I just used a flapper sanding wheel on an angle grinder and just smoothed out the weld and removed a little (some) material from the welded in brace on the inside of the swingarm where your tire is rubbing. I've since cleared triples and I race supermoto and hav had no problems with the swingarm as far as strength. you could also choose to offset your wheel using the spokes but you can't offset it much anyway because of the chain. shaving the tire is yet another option, using soapy water and a razor or hand planer. but instead of shaving all your tires, the swingarm grind seems the most effective.

·
Registered
364 Posts
you can also take a small strip off the edge of the tire.
wood plane and dish soap.

With material off the swingarm and a strip off the tire you shouldn't have any more rub.

:bike:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I sanded away some of the weld on the inside of the swingarm with a small angle grinder and a sanding disk, and the clearance is fine now. No rubbing either side, and should be cool with new tyres!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts