SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, 2006 525 exc with motard/dirt setup. Just wanted to hear what other guys are getting on these for fuel consumption on street with these so I can get my bearings and possibly look for anything that may need attention on the bike like bearings, jetting, float height, chain etc.

How many km to a tank of how many liters? Maximum range? Jetting settings? Currently getting 4.5L/100km or 52mpg when cruising. Giving it a bit of gas for fun this will go down to 4.9L/100km or 47mpg or so.

This bike has a JD jet kit fitted with blue needle on second notch from top and 172 main. I was getting nearly 70mpg on my DRZ before but with the light weight and low revs of this bike I was expecting about the same.

Wondering if it will get be better with the stock needle (thicker shaft at base) and bigger 178 main jet? Do JT jet kids generally run too rich at lower rpm?

This is my daily commuter as well as kart track/dirt machine so it's of interest to me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just topped off my 525 for the first time toda. After a few days and a few tanks, ill let you know what I'm getting. Its all stock, but I know the prev owner fiddled with the jetting on it. Ill also double. Check my gearing and post up all results in a fewdays.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool man, that'd be good. Lets not forget, motards are not aerodynamic and efficiency will plummet if going over 60mph/100kph so I don't know if you're doing a lot of high speed riding where you are?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Id say about half and half highway to street.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I just topped off my 525 for the first time toda. After a few days and a few tanks, ill let you know what I'm getting. Its all stock, but I know the prev owner fiddled with the jetting on it. Ill also double. Check my gearing and post up all results in a fewdays.
Guess you'll know after our ride on Saturday. Now I'm thinking of packing a 20oz. bottle of fuel just in case :anim_peep:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ya, ill definitely know how mayn mpg I get when flogging the bike after this weekend.:D
I hope you're kidding about extra fuel. There's gotta be stations around up there, right?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, after about 150 miles it looks like. I'm getting about 56 mpg all around. My riding is mixed up with highway at about 70-75mph, and slower county roads at about 35-50 with not that much lower speed stuff.
Also, I'm running 13-42 gearing. Hope it help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 06 525 exc, 13-48 gearing, 3 gallon IMS tank, QS3, R&D fuel screw, AP bump mod, bone dry at 117 miles with the throttle pinned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, after about 150 miles it looks like. I'm getting about 56 mpg all around. My riding is mixed up with highway at about 70-75mph, and slower county roads at about 35-50 with not that much lower speed stuff.
Also, I'm running 13-42 gearing. Hope it help you.
thanks dude, that's really good... that's not riding hard surely?

I've got a 06 525 exc, 13-48 gearing, 3 gallon IMS tank, QS3, R&D fuel screw, AP bump mod, bone dry at 117 miles with the throttle pinned.
That's useful for me, thanks. Got a supermotard endurance race coming up so need to get an idea what fuel consumption is like with throttle pinned.

·
Registered
976 Posts
thanks dude, that's really good... that's not riding hard surely?

like I said, its a mix of freeway cruising and back road playing. Nothing too aggressive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts