SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, got a question for any of you that use your motard for daily commuting. I'm thinking of trading my VTR1000 for a 04 KTM525 SX Racing. The KTM has some upgrades and has been registered for street use.

My concern is it would be my soul mode of transport. Also, I have to travle the freeway in order to get around town. at least 15-20 miles one way. Just woundering how this kind of bike would fair comparied to a dedicated streetbike? I understand this particular bike requires more regular maintaince. Which isn't a big deal for me. More concerned about regular wear and tear of riding at highway speeds on a regular basis.

This will be my first motard. I've been riding for a number of years, but primarlily liter twins and I4s. So this is a new experence for me. Trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When i began my search for a sumo, the 525 was already the first choice in my head. I've been doing alot of research on all the orange bikes, and i think i've found mine in the 690sm. You get fuel injection, EPT, a slipper clutch, and radial mounted front disc in a bike with what looks to be sick handling and plenty of power. The 525 motor is incredible, but it is a race motor and that means more wrenching and less riding. I just wish the 690 looked like the 525.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey all, got a question for any of you that use your motard for daily commuting. I'm thinking of trading my VTR1000 for a 04 KTM525 SX Racing. The KTM has some upgrades and has been registered for street use.

My concern is it would be my soul mode of transport. Also, I have to travle the freeway in order to get around town. at least 15-20 miles one way. Just woundering how this kind of bike would fair comparied to a dedicated streetbike? I understand this particular bike requires more regular maintaince. Which isn't a big deal for me. More concerned about regular wear and tear of riding at highway speeds on a regular basis.

This will be my first motard. I've been riding for a number of years, but primarlily liter twins and I4s. So this is a new experence for me. Trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.
Why would you choose the SX to convert to supermoto? IIRC, it's 4-speed and kick only. KTM already makes street legal supermotos, the 625 SMC, 690 SMC and 690 SMR.

If you want something smaller/lighter to convert, a 525 EXC or 530 EXC-R would be much better platforms to start with. 6-speed, e-start, and the 530 is street legal ready to ride off the showroom floor.

As for your concerns about wear & tear of highway riding, any converted MX bike is not designed for that kind of use, and will require a lot more maintanence & more frequent rebuilds. If this truly going to be a daily rider/commuter, I'd steer clear of the converted MX bikes and get true street tard... like the 625/690s I mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am I right to add that the 525 SX also will not have enough oil capacity for much street use?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I run my 450 on the steet almost every day. Awsome street bike, with two problems: SUCKS in traffic and whoever said it, lots of wrenching.

·
Registered
77 Posts

As both an owner of a VTR1000 and '03 525EXC, I can easily tell you that the superchicken is far more practical for the open road. I'm getting dualsport kit, 17s, etc for my KTM now as a hooligan bike. You need to look at what your using the VTR for, and if the geared-lower KTM will fill that need. The KTM is not a put-away-wet bike like the Honda is. I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds, a bike that can get me tickets doing the speed limit, and another to get me tickets going over the speed limit! :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very good points. Thanks for the input. Part of me wants to hang on to the VTR, for the simple fact that it is much more practicle. But who ever said motorcycles had to be practicle, LOL.

I'm not activly looking for a sumo. This was just an offer that came to the table. I've wanted one for quite a while, but this may not be the best time to go all out.

I do have another streetbike I'm in the process of building. So the KTM would not be my primary ride for ever, but it would be a few months befor the other bike is finished.

Still thinking it over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts