SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i was gonna trade my 99 BUILT banshee for an 02 ktm 520sx to convert for SM. the guy drove 4 hours with his bike and when he got to my house, after kicking tires, we decided to go on to the next step.... test rides!!!!

problem is.... his bike didnt wanna start and after 20 minutes of it alost firing, and starting then dying, we finally get this thing started... well at that point i was already gun-shy... i didnt feel comfortable trading an immaculate (i mean CLEANNNN) banshee that start on the first kick cold, for this bike....

thing is i still want the damn thing. to me (and my experience with thumpers is limited) it seems like the valves needed to be adjusted. he said hes had the bike for 5 years and hasnt ridden it much (and it honestly shows) but has not adjusted the valves on it. he didnt really even know what it was it seemed.

i told him to have his ktm mech look at it and if it got a clean bill of health, wed go on with the deal. i enjoy working on the shit almost more than i do riding it.

so, my question is this::

will a compression test reflect the integrity of the valves, if so what should the psi be, and if it needs a TDC leak down test, how many psi for how long does it need to hold???

any answers would be appreciated.

ps... once it finally started it was really really strong, and started easily therafter.

and yes... im an FNG. good to be here! :bannana:

what do yall think??? does it even sound like its the valves??? if so... i can adjust them

·
Registered
547 Posts
Can't say for sure what it might be as I have been in the thumper game for only few months lol, but I say this.

My friend and I went to see this 2006 250 SX-F some years ago and for me it looked like complete piece of crap. Hard starter, alot wear and use marks + plus the owner was a bit shady. I told him that we leave the bike there and go see the other one that is about 150 miles away. No he just insisted and wanted the crap KTM for himself.

Well what he bought in reality? After few rides it wouldnt start anymore. Valves shot, worn guides, epoxy ported head that had epoxy to start lift off from intake, cams in horrible condinition, cam chain stretched etc. The bike still sits untouched, and maybe I will offer him few beers for it. :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have an 02 520 exc and love the motor. They are very reliable motors, but the sx is a 4 speed not 6 speed and no e-start like exc. Does it have lights? Title to make street legal? I would pass on the trade.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it ran very strong after we got it started. it kinda acted like it was wanting to start everyother kick or so... (compression stroke?)

he went out tonight and tried to start it while he had me on the phone (i called him and asked him to, so it was definately a surprise.) and it fired on the second kick. he had been at work all day, and when i first got on the phone with him, he was still driving home.... so im confident it hadnt been started all day.

he is unsure about the hours on it, but if i get the bike, first thing is a long joy ride, and then tear down. or at least adjust the valves, the carb is the keihin 39mm fcr, which ii know in and out. :bannana:

as for the 4 speed, im thinking with proper gearing to my taste itll be fine. if not i can do the conversion myself. im that compotent of a mech on this stuff.

im not really going for a street legal bike per se.... but definately a solid track bike, if i want to add lights i can re-wrap the stator, and float the ground.... couple of regs, and rects, and im in business

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In that case, I like the 520 motor. I think the 39 carb works well on it, you could add e-start as well if wanted, adding the 6 speed and working gear selection is a benefit. Try to find 14mm triple clamps off a sx 125 and smr suspension to swap right in like I did. Great bike, but is it worth the trade with all the work you want to do? Could you buy it cheap and sell your quad high? Good Luck and post pics!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think were gonna meet Sunday, and swap. He's probably getting the better side of the deal.... my banshee is Fuckin immaculate..... but alas... I enjoy being behind a wrench as much as a set of handle bars. The 520 is pretty damn clean and nice too. Ill start a build thread when I .... Uhh .....start the build... also post some pics up soon. Is this like any other forum as far as pics go? I.e.... upload them to Photobucket, and copy paste the image code?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just traded for a 520 also (but the exc) and it was a hard starter also at first. I can now got out and start it first kick (or push of the button :D) so dont dwell on it. Good luck!

Oh and as for the pics, its just like any other form. photobucket and copy and paste

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That was my first bike that got me into supermoto, great bike you'll love the 520 grunt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. After some semi-educated carved adjustments she starts up, first kick, everytime. The idle was turned way sown and the fuel screw was 2.5 turns out. (Factory is 1). Which is concurrent with thebfact that it didnt like to be choked (does likebwhen I talk dirty to it though). I got her all stoiched back down and am having a blast pissing off my neighbors....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Might wanna snoop around KTMtalk.....there are some updates that are worth doing to the 520 for piece of mind.

Man, I miss my 520exc........:headshake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts