SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm new to SMJ. Rode my friends CRF 450 at the local kart track last thurs.(Medford OR. Thurs. for sumos not karts :) too too too much fun, still smiling:D
Now I've GOT to put together my own SM for track days and maybe start racing here in OR. or NorCal.
I own an '01 low hour stock KTM 520SX, another friend is selling a low hour '06 Honda CRF 450 he said the guy he bought it from was starting to build a flat tracker and had invested thousands in the engine, port n polish, cams, carb mods, dyno tuning, heavy flywheel, I not exactly sure what all. He wants $3,500 for the CRF says its the fastest MX bike he's ever been on! Then on top of that there's a '05 Husaberg FS650C plated with 2,500 mi for $5,500 I know of. That might be fun for track days, racing, and taking up the local twisties? Where I live there's a mountain road (Hwy 66, Greensprings) very tight, technical, like a
rollacoaster 5 min. from me that would be a hoot on that Berg:bannana:
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! The KTM and CRF would need wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, sliders etc. not sure the best way to go about that? New or used conversion kits? Any place you could point me to? I'd like the good $hit with out braking the bank! I think the Berg would be ready to rock,(not sure about reliability and maintenance though) plus be able to get myself arrested on the street! Decisions, decisions :headscrat
Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the noobie!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd keep your bike and convert if you only had a choice between it and another no converted mx bike. The berg is a nice option but a 05 for $5500 is way overpriced.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Buy the Berg, and life as you know it will be changed forever. The berg is a Streetable BEAST and will run the pants off the other 2 and still run circles around just about any track imaginable with your hair on fire.............:coffee:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It's just money. Buy the Berg. I just missed out on an '05 650. I'm kicking myself right now for not jumping on it earlier:rant:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reliability and maintenance issues with the Berg?

Thanks for the response fellas, I don't know the history of that Berg! Not sure if it's been flogged, do not know the seller, he said it's never been raced just some track days and street use 2500 mi on the clock. It looks very clean. I read it holds very little oil and needs to be changed every 3 hrs. What if it wasn't? I got an awesome mechanic in town, would a compression check and complete inspection be enough? I do not want to buy someone elses problems and I don't need the headaches BUT a steetable BEAST with my hair on fire sounds like my kind of drug:bannana:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If that Berg is in Texas, it's spoken for, talked to him today. I'm next in line if dude wigs out with no cash. From your description, it sounds like the same one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts