SuperMoto Junkie banner

Which Version Should I Get For AMA Supermoto?

• KTM 505 SX

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • KTM 505 XC-F

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the KTM 505 and wondering if I should get the SX or the XC-F. I will be racing it in AMA Supermoto, and just need to know if the XC-F is near the same motor as the SX. I know the SX is 4 speed and the XC-F is 5 speed. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. I know I can shed the extra weight of the XC-F pretty easy. It weighs in at 238 and the SX is 229.

Input is appreciated.:thumbup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just sent you a PM but didn't see this until just now. I think the benefits of the 5 speed outweigh the initial weight differences. Either bike has the new chassis, which is 100% better in my opinion then the previous chassis. As you are converting either bike the "core" (motor) is the thing to focus on as either bike will get the same peripherals. The 5 speed is hard to beat. Sproket changes and such will become a pain but some people don't think twice about that so it is totally up to you. Versatility is key in a national supermoto series as every track varies. What will you have done in terms of motor work for the bike?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to get the XC-F. I think the 5 speed is better and then I will also take the bigger carb for the SXF and put it on the XC-F. Thats what I have been told is best so thanks for the input.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, good choice, I know a guy who has the 505 XC-F and he can't wait to put his 17"s on it. From what he said, he likes it better than the SX even on an MX track w/ Knobbies.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The XC comes with a 41 carb, despite what the specs say. At least mine did.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You might want to check with the AMA as for the rules - as of now the 505 is not legal but I think they are going to change the rules.
The 505 XC-F has five speeds but with a single cam head compared to the twin cam engine on the SX

I bet HMC will run the SX 505 with a five speed tranny.

SuperMoto Racer magazine just did a story on a 2008 KTM 450 XC-F twin-cam five-speed in the latest issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts