SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just purchased a 2004 450 SMS. It was purchased about 6 months ago by a friend of mine directly from KTM and is reportedly a retired factory race bike. I am freshening it up a bit and will be using it for my trackday fun. Anybody have any info about the SMS? I have found a few things but there weren't very many of these so info is sparse. It is kind of a parts bin special now, and I'm not sure just how much of it is actually the original SMS. Any info would be appreciated.. I'll post some pics along the way and when I get it back together, although it will look like my 560 since I am using that bodywork (graphics) on it. I have already PM'd HMCSpike for info too. Thanks much!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it looks steeper than it is because I have it tied down a leaning a little forward. The triples are the KTM hard parts ones (18-20mm) like come stock on the SMR only in the bronze color. They are set to 18mm I think. The forks are the SMS forks that have the black nitride (sp?) coating on the lowers. The pipe is an FMF Factory 4.1 but a real early one. Apperently sort of a one off. I sent pics to FMF today and they said they only made a few of these for the race team.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
NIce AMA decal on the headtube.....does it have 6piston Behringer front caliper??
Looks like the 03/04 swingarm and a "early" 05 frame. I have a FMF Ti setup almost like what you have but a more conventional can and mount, it is VERY light LOUD as hell.
Also a set of those Nitrided forks are SMS/SXS style and are a closed cartridge fork different than all of the rest of the SMR forks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tfunk,
The brakes are KTM Beringer 4 piston with solid rotor and Brembo master (pics).. More pics of AMA stickers too..

How can you tell if it is an Early '05 frame, as it looks like my 2006 as well. Just curious.. As far as the pipe, it's a little loud as I remember from last summer, but it definately has a unique sound.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a couple more picture clues.. USA 450 07 stamped in the engine case.. Any idea what the white plug is for? I'm having fun with this puzzle!

·
Registered
740 Posts
That is a CDI unit from a 2005 450 SX. The frame appears to be a 2005 model frame. Is the swing arm aluminum? or cast?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The frame looks to my eye, exactly like the frame of my '06 SMR. The VIN was stamped in as it is the VIN of the '04 SMS. The frame was probably a new part replacement. It could very well be a 2005 as I found stamped just inboard of the right radiator "DE05". My 2006 SMR says "DA06". It was probably powdercoated black as there is a sticker on it from Olympia Powdercoating in California. The swingarm is not the cast type like my '06 but the smooth welded type like '03 or '04 as Tfunk pointed out. Also, I might add, the shock has a black body, white spring and the nitride coated shaft indicating a SMS or SXS part, no?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If I remember right, that front caliper and rotor are the same as the 04 SMC based RFS bikes, they were a 450/525 units with a SX motor and a 4 speed tranny. They were a Supermoto bike but different than a SMR in brakes and tranny specs.

BTW I believe all shocks or forks with nitride coating are a closed cartridge design, but notice that the 04 shock resevoir has 3 rings top and bottom on the outside?? Does not the 06 you have only have 2 upper and 2 lower??? I believe they have different internals here, but I am not sure as I am not a susp guru. I have a AMA decal on the 04 bike I purchased through Monte Frank, cannot remember the # and the bike is at a shop right now 15 miles away.
I also think the DE05 stamping is a give away for a 05 frame, 03/04's were gold and the 05- downtubes were oval, that is what yours looks like.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Tfunk,
reguarding your post on that other thread, the parts hunt is going well. I have everything in hand except my wheel rims from the anodisers. I hope to get all the new bearings in the hubs and swingarm this weekend and start putting it back together.

As far as the 4 speed and 6 speed trannys you were talking about, this one is unique again. I'm pretty sure this motor wasn't the original. It has a "USA 07" stamped in it near the engine number. It indeed does have a 6 speed but here is the rub.. 1-4 are close ratio like my SMR, then 5 is tall and 6 is taller yet. It's like 1-4 close ratio and 5-6 wide ratio. I'm sure this was done for a reason or specific tracks or whatever. Rumuor has it (from former HMC race team engine builder) that this was one of Jurgen Kunsel's bikes. Another rumuor (from KTM insider) is that KTM North America originally bought this bike (and probably others) from KTM AG for something like $21k. I know this thing is no national treasure or anything but it's fun trying to figure out the history. I'll post the progress as I start getting it back together...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
WAY COOL BRO!!!! Puttin that thing back together would be fun and quite a interesting endeavor. Good luck and if you need something let me know, I will try to help with anything I can.

Tfunk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome to the SMS Gang:thumbup:

Heres some pics of my 2004 KTM 450 SMS.

Also picked up mine from a National racer last year. Aparently only 5 SMS's got sipped to South Africa, dont know how many where produced.

Mines fitted with a full Achro pipe, not sure if it was fitted as an aftermarket, SMS front forks, wider tripple clamps, Brembo Caliper and Master cyl, Titanium rear shock spring, slipper and big big balls!!

You going to have fun with her, the SMS just feels so stable on the track, its really boosted my confidence and smile from ear to ear each time i climb off the saddle.

The motor had a complete rebuild in December, long story short it droped a valve and as you can imagine $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. KTM South Africa did a "square head conversion and made a shorter stroke" still dont understand what they meant. Apparently this conversion was suggested by Ktm Austria, and that this conversion was done on the other SMS's that where bieng raced. It sounds to me that someone is telling stories. Anyway all I know is that its like a bat out of hell!!

Oh and I forgot to mention, took around 3 months of parts going back and forth to Austria before the right parts where eventually all here!!

Keep us posted

·
Registered
177 Posts
Around R 35 000.00 (South African Rand) only Paid R 50 000.00 for the Bike.:rant:

To give you an idea R 8.02 = $ 1 at the current rate of exchane:eek:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts