SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think this would be easy, but I'm finding the opposite to be true. I have a 2007 450 SMR. I want an aftermarket pipe. I can't find part numbers for an 2007 pipe. Most part numbers stop at the 2006 models. I assume these to be the same. Even the Hard Parts catalog doesn't list a 2007 pipe (or didn't a couple months back as I've not looked at it in a while). I called FMF a while back and asked about 2007 fitment. They said they didn't know if the 2006 and 2007 were the same and asked me to figure it out for them. Strange. Calls to dealers like KTM World netted similar answers.

Anyway, I did some very light research and thought I discovered that the EXC and the SMR were the same part number. Not confirmed, though. In the same period, I talk to my racing rep friend at Leo Vince and he arranges to give me a pipe from his support budget. He sends me an e-invoice listing the fitment as an SX that same day. I call him and tell him that I don't think the SX is the same, but he says "they should all be the same, and the SX pipe has more hit than the EXC pipe". Okay, he's the pipe guru. Well, the pipe came in and, just as I thought, the header pipe won't work. The SX has one large exhaust port and the SMR has two small ones. I don't know if the pipe's mid-pipe and muffler geometry will work.

Leo Vince's website lists a 560 and 525 SMR in 2006 and 2007 model years, but no 450 SMR. I believe them to be the same (they are not the same as the SX, however).

http://www.leovinceusa.com/cart/search.php?Model=560 SMR&Make=KTM&Year=2007&Line=X3 -

So, this isn't a question about which pipe is better than the other, yada, yada, yada. This is a question about what pipe fits on my 2007 model SMR. I'm looking for exact part numbers so I can match them with other models and years. If you have a 2005, 2006 or 2007 SMR, what pipe do you have on your bike?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 07'sx and your 07' SMR have two totally differents motors. You still have the RFS type motor where as the 07'SX has the new twin cam w/ e-start motor. Any header and silcener from a 04-06 450/525 sx and any 04-07 450 or 525 EXC will fit. I have done something simliar just this past week myself. I am building a 2003 EXC into a SuMo and found that the header/muffler from a 04' 450 sx will fit. I had the switch the 3 bolt exhaust header flange to the one that came on the 04' 450 (which is the same flange your bike has) I am refering to the the flange that bolts to the cyl. head, and since my bike has the old frame I did have to relocate one header pipe mountng bracket. Since your back has the same frame and bracket location you will not have this issue.

Don't to scared off by my post count on this site, I was recently directed here by a fellow VW fan from over at VW Vortex. I know my KTM's very well and curently own a 03' 450EXC and a 06' 250 SX.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i figured it was this easy. glad someone else can confirm it before i buy the part. ordering ktm part #59436039000 tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts