SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this project is now 11 months old

one year ago I bought a 450 SMR 10 , and a 690 engine with the project to put this engine the frame.
I thought it was possible even if I read it was not...

so I cut the frame to be able to fit the engine Inside

you understand i had few technical solutions to find for my project....

first to rebuild the frame....

for that I used a 50/46Ø steel tube

and welded corner for the engine bracket

the result;

so I said myself it was possible, the way is open :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

and the rear frame brackets for the engine:

the 690 engine was 30mm too large to fit the SMR swingarm

so I had to machine the swingarm (15mm on each side)

and worked a little bit on the bearing kit....

and it was OK

concrening the 690 front sproket, I had to return it to be in front of the chain pad.

but the chain collided with the clutch slave cylinder

so I milled the clutch slave cylinder joint plan and where the chain can hit.

concerning coolant, I cutted and re welded a new pipe on the head.

the exhaust....

need this kind of exhaust (EXC) on it,

but because engine is different it needs a "home made" one but i reused the 690 pipes.
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/19553428b4.jpg
and a KTM duke front pipe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
then I had to work on the electrical loom to fit the 690 one.

another problem was the 690 engine use a injection ssytem whereas the 450 SMR using a carburetor
that means to adapt a ful pump and a pressure regulator for the fuel, and to find enought space to arrange all the ECU components, and the street legal relay ...

first the fuel pump.
I use the 690 OEM one , but not in the tank as on the 690 bikes, i machined a box for it, to allow a dry external location.

and a first test

the engine runs
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=962fec3b330c0492&id=962fec3b330c0492%21238&ithint=video,mp4&authkey=!AGQjqT0SXzR87cg#id=962fec3b330c0492%21238&cid=962FEC3B330C0492&group=0&parId=962fec3b330c0492%21233&authkey=%21AGQjqT0SXzR87cg&o=OneUp

and fit all that on the bike:

the dash board;
had to make a new bracket for the 690 dash bord fits on the SMR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's where i'm today.

I'm working on the air intake tube between the throttle body and the air box.

it has been mold:

and 3D digitized

and I'm working to correct transcription errors on SOLIDWORKS, and to draw what I exactly need; the inner 3D mold, to machine it, to allow to make the air intake tube like a coolent silicone hose buy a supplier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is a really impressive project with a lot of engine to fit in a pretty small frame. You certainly don't seem afraid to cut things up and modify them. Looking forward to seeing more on the intake especially.

Are you planning on making a cradle for the lower part of the frame? Or do you just plan to use the engine as a stressed member. I would think the loading on the engine would be much higher in it's current configuration because the frame is not a trellis frame like the 690s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And you are right !
I added a 3th engine anchor point on the frame, below the swingarm axis. but it’s not far enough away from the “theoretical” pivot point (the swingarm axis) to be efficient to prevent the engine from rotating in the event of a violent impact.
Frame could deform itself as parallelogram.
That’s why I have to a new attachment point between the engine head and the middle of the frame , before to paint the frame.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Very cool. Can't wait for your first ride to see how it handles and runs. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'd be interested in what it weighs vs the 690SMC. Any idea how much lighter it will be? That should be a ass haulin' wheelie maching.:thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
And you are right !
I added a 3th engine anchor point on the frame, below the swingarm axis. but it’s not far enough away from the “theoretical” pivot point (the swingarm axis) to be efficient to prevent the engine from rotating in the event of a violent impact.
Frame could deform itself as parallelogram.
That’s why I have to a new attachment point between the engine head and the middle of the frame , before to paint the frame.
Awesome, sounds like you are all over it. You wouldn't be a mechanical engineer by any chance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd be interested in what it weighs vs the 690SMC. Any idea how much lighter it will be? That should be a ass haulin' wheelie maching.:thumbup:
It weighs 119 kg (dry , checked), but I think I could make an effort to make it a bit more light

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
It weighs 119 kg (dry , checked), but I think I could make an effort to make it a bit more light
So, about 280lbs with fluids, that's 50lbs lighter than my 690SM after an extreme diet plan. Badass!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the bike at this moment:

air induct drawn from the scanned form

the same less 3mm thick (to make the interior mold)

machining :)

it will remain polishing before shipping to the silicone hoses manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts