SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for my very first supermoto. I will be using this bike for a 30 mile commute everyday, 10 of those miles being highway. I will also be using this bike to have fun on the weekends, I live in the mountains so there are tons of twisties where I live. I won't be taking this bike on the dirt very much I would say 90% road 10% dirt. I'm 18 years old and I want something super fun but also reliable and all around a good bike.

I have been on the search for a supermoto for a long while now and after much decision I narrowed my search down to the DRZ400S. But when I was searching around on craigslist today I found a KTM 450 EXC which really sparked my interest. I will be including the craigslist post so please tell me what you think of the bike! Anyway, for me being an 18 year old and not having lots of money it seems like a DRZ is the best option; they are reliable, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, etc. I know the KTM is a race bike and will need more; maintenance, love, and care. But here is what I have figured out:

If I get a DRZ I will most likely get board of the power and want to convert it to a supermoto which will in-tale costing me thousands in mods and parts. But if I get the KTM; I may spend a bit more upfront, and have to take better care of it, but at least I wont have to spend tons of money to milk power out of it. The KTM is already done, all it would need is supermoto wheels. Also I am very mechanically inclined, my father is an engineer and he did auto body for 30+ years so I have done my fare share of working on engines. Although, I have no experience working on motorcycles, just cars. But I am willing to learn and if I get the KTM I have no problem changing her oil and taking good care of her. While if I get a cheap DRZ I feel I will do as little maintenance as possible and run her hard.

So what do you guys think? Would a KTM 450 EXC work for me? Or should I go back to my original plan and get a DRZ400S?

*****PLEASE LOOK*****

This is the KTM 450 EXC I found on craigslist, tell me what you think!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/5316279714.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2c

Drew I've always operated under the rule of buying more than you need and growing into it. That said, one can bite off more than they can chew and be in trouble. I have not ridden either of those bikes, but I would recommend getting the KTM. They're great bikes and the extra money you spend now will be worth it down the line. That said, there are loads of DRZ riders on here who love their bikes.

What is your riding history?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drew I've always operated under the rule of buying more than you need and growing into it. That said, one can bite off more than they can chew and be in trouble. I have not ridden either of those bikes, but I would recommend getting the KTM. They're great bikes and the extra money you spend now will be worth it down the line. That said, there are loads of DRZ riders on here who love their bikes.

What is your riding history?
I am a fairly new rider. Me and my friend bought a Honda CRF 150 street legal bike awhile back when we had zero experience. We learned on that thing riding illegally on the road. I just passed an extended two week MSF course which I was riding circles around all the other people taking the class. I don't consider myself a good rider but I feel confident on a motorcycle. I realize I have a lot to learn and I am ready to start my motorcycle life. I am also a VERY cautious person. In my 18 years of living I have proven to myself of how cautious of a person I am and I feel I will ride very safe on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I will say this...The DRZ is the one you want if you're going to be putting that many miles on it but even then that's a shitload of miles for ANY supermoto. Forget about the EXC if you're going to be doing 30 mile commutes everyday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will say this...The DRZ is the one you want if you're going to be putting that many miles on it but even then that's a shitload of miles for ANY supermoto. Forget about the EXC if you're going to be doing 30 mile commutes everyday.
I'm curious... Why is that a lot of miles? I'm looking at getting a SMC 690 to take some of the load off my pickup commuting. Mine is 16 miles each way... Is 32 miles RT a lot of riding?

To Drew,
I started my road riding with the MSF course and highly recommend it to anyone anywhere at any riding level. I was not implying you didn;t have the necessary riding skill/level for the bikes, just curious given your age. For frame of reference, I had an XR70 honda as a child and felt fairly proficient on a bike at age 18.

Good luck in your endeavors.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Generally speaking, the DR400S(M), 690 SMC, and WR250X can take the mileage. These are very durable engines. The 690 is more of a street engine than a dirtbike engine. The WR250X/R is pretty much 1 cylinder of the R1's engine. The DR400 isn't a "street engine", but has been proven over the many years it has existed, that it can take a beating.

The KTM dirtbikes are not considered to be as durable. I'm not saying they are not good machines, just that we often hear about how they require high maintenance and will fail if not looked after properly...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm curious... Why is that a lot of miles? I'm looking at getting a SMC 690 to take some of the load off my pickup commuting. Mine is 16 miles each way... Is 32 miles RT a lot of riding?
To each their own but from my personal experience I used to commute to school a couple days a week round-trip 36 miles on my WR250X and I wouldn't have wanted to do anymore than that. If you split commute duties with your truck then the 690 should handle that fine. However, commuting 30+ miles everyday on a race enduro with lights will rack up the miles/hours very fast and you'll be up your ass with maintenance costs.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The EXC pretty much has it all. More power. Better suspension. Nice seat. Huge tank. More maintenance, good thing if you heed the warning signs.

Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a street-legal 525 SMR, and I can't imagine riding it more than a few miles at a time on surface streets for short errands. Very fun on short errands, but uncomfortable and stressful in traffic (engine runs hot). These KTM RFS engines are high-strung, maintenance-intensive racing engines. They need frequent oil+filter changes and valve adjustments. For that long of a commute, I'd get the DRZ with a cushy aftermarket seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts