SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so iv been dying to get into supermoto and i recently found a 2007 ktm 300xc for sale that is street legal. i need some feedback as i dont know much about ktm's. i do know that these 300's apparently go like hell :bannana:. do these record miles or hours? and would it be a decent street tard as that as what i want to build it into. help me!

2007 KTM 300 XC, street legal, head light / tail light included, FMF exhaust, cycra metal hand guards, fat bars, forks recently serviced. its listed at 2600$

·
Registered
734 Posts
so iv been dying to get into supermoto and i recently found a 2007 ktm 300xc for sale that is street legal. i need some feedback as i dont know much about ktm's. i do know that these 300's apparently go like hell :bannana:. do these record miles or hours? and would it be a decent street tard as that as what i want to build it into. help me!

2007 KTM 300 XC, street legal, head light / tail light included, FMF exhaust, cycra metal hand guards, fat bars, forks recently serviced. its listed at 2600$
That's an awesome bike, but would make for a lousy ride on the street. 5th gear is pretty short on the XCs, if you were determined to street one you'd be better off with an XCW (wide-ratio trans with a much better 5th gear ratio).

2-strokes don't do constant, steady throttle cruising very well at all. They want to be all or nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats true. but i cant get the idea of zipping down the road on one outa my head. i wonder if some sprocket changes could help for under 60mph use. are these reliable at all or explode in 20 hour race bikes?

·
Registered
734 Posts
yeah thats true. but i cant get the idea of zipping down the road on one outa my head. i wonder if some sprocket changes could help for under 60mph use. are these reliable at all or explode in 20 hour race bikes?
It seems the general rule of thumb with the 300s is 100 hours on a piston. Some guys will pop the cylinder off at 50 hours to just to get a look to make sure nothing "funny" is going on, and put in a new ring while they're in there. There are also guys who go much longer than 100 hours. This I've gathered from reading the KTMTalk board. Gotta keep in mind that alot of those guys are just recreational riders riding tight singletrack. Constantly spinning one up on the road, I'd probably be thinking a piston at 50 hours.

With 2-strokes the keys to them surviving are jetting and a good quality oil in the right ratio. And that (premix ratio) is a debate/ dispute for the ages. Good luck!

·
Registered
623 Posts
CONGRATS!!

It's a great bike for a street sumo! That all or nothing stuff is just bull and the XC is fine on the street/highway as long as it is geared properly.

I have a 2007 KTM 300 XC street legal sumo that I bought newe and run all the time on the road (and I'm still on the original piston/rings). Street riding is actually easier on your rings/pistons. I put over 8000 miles on my 2001 CR250 (street/dirt use) and sold it with the original piston/rings in it. Good gas, high quality full synthetic oil mixed and jetted properly is the key for longevity.

I use nothing but Motul mixed at 40/1 and I run 14/38 steel sprockets.

I live in an area where the speed limits are 25/35 in town and lots of 55 MPH highway and my bike runs fine at 55-65 MPH (with a top speed of right around 95). It also purrs fine at 25 mph though town.

My engine is all stock with the exception of the welded power valve (which you must do IMMEDIATELY if it hasn't been done yet to avoid the pin dropping down into your gearbox doing some serious damage). I can help you with links for that one if needed. It's a cheap/easy fix you can do yourself in just 20 minutes or so at home so don't put it off if it hasn't been done yet.

I also have a Endurance speedo, KTM/Cycra handguards, skid plate, ktm 320mm sumo brake setup and axle sliders.

Here's some old pics of my bike before the brake upgrade:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I've got a 300EXC and its awesome. It loads up in town which kinda sucks, but mines got 110 hours on the top end and it still runs like a champ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
KTM 2-strokes are dead reliable.

I have an '04 250SX that has over 300 hours on it. I've put 2 sets of rings and 1 piston in it. Its probably due for another, but it still runs like a raped ape.

Mind you these are hard hours, too.

Only reason I don't convert it to a streetbike is because it is a close-ratio gearbox with a short (shorter than an XC model) top gear. It cruised comfortably in top gear around 40 mph. If geared properly it may do better, would would lose some spunk I'm sure. A wide-ratio (XCW or EXC) two stroke would make a killer street moto.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
thats one nice bike. love it
Thanks man, I built it on the cheap while i was in college so im going to throw some money at it next spring. I'm probably going to keep it for kart track stuff. BTW 103mph gps confirmed:thumbup: Not bad for a little ring dinger.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks man, I built it on the cheap while i was in college so im going to throw some money at it next spring. I'm probably going to keep it for kart track stuff. BTW 103mph gps confirmed:thumbup: Not bad for a little ring dinger.
hell yeah. going to do some porting or something?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Probably going to upgrade the headlight, Check the piston and replace if needed, maybe some porting, and sort out jetting. It still does dirt duty too with the original 21-18's so I'm trying to keep it in good shape but going out in the dirt just beats the bike up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts