SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 months of hobbling along on my blown out knee, I'm finally getting it fixed. ACL reconstruction and maniscus. I can't wait to get back in shape and bust out some new tricks, but I'm lookin at some serious pain and rehab before then, so I'm gettin pretty worried right about now. I'm gonna have to close down the shop for a few days at least, but I have someone that will be doing the shipping for online orders for me while I'm posted out on morphine, but I won't be takin any phone orders. I hate not bein able to ride :damn:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good luck bud! And do ALL your rehab as you're told, trust me on this one. I've split my kneecap in half, the rehab sucked ass but it was worth the pain. Spent 4+ months in a brace that kept my leg straight, so I let my buddies ride my bike and I rode their quads with my leg propped up on the front fender. Thank god for Polaris's simple "Forward, Neutral, Reverse" tranny's on the scramblers! Keep us updated!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
GL with the surgery! Keep us updated on how it goes. Like grim said do what they say to treat it right, it'll save you a lot of time, pain, and maybe even having to redo the surgery later.

I just broke my hand 3 weeks ago, and i got the cast off yesterday. It's still sore but it's getting better. Whereas, my friend had a similar broken bone last year, but he was in nursing school and couldn't wear a cast and work in the hospital as required for class. So instead of treating it properly he spent the first 3 months without it getting fixed. Well I saw him last week, and his hand is still all jacked up and not healed. Now they are talking about having to take the bone out and put a pin in. Don't rush it, it's not worth it. Do what they say, it may be inconvienent and time consuming, but it'll be worth it in the long run

Also, if you get bored ryan, you could hit up your shop and make yourself a rolling wheel thing for that leg, to help with mobility. Set it up so straps or something above the knee would support the weight, if thats possible. It'd probably look like when people strap a dog's back legs into a cart and they drag themsleves around by their front legs. But it may help with mobility until it heals. Most likely you wouldn't want to be seen in public with it, but if it helps you around the house or shop then why not. As opposed to being in a wheel chair and not being able to move about in a standing position

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wifes a anesthesiologist and does lots of knees, I feel for you have a good recovery but don't push too hard and early you don't want to do it again (surgery)

Kevin

·
Registered
546 Posts
good luck man! i just started riding again from my acl/meniscus repair, DO NOT SLACK ON THE PHYSICAL THERAPY!! and i hope you have someone at home to take care of you, cause getting around will not be fun! i hope the sergery goes well!
bran

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Do it right and don't ride too soon - I did and I stretched my ACL repair. If you do it right - it takes 8 months to fully recover before you should ride. People do it sooner - I rode after 4 months and it was the wrong thing to do - I rode MX and wish I would have waited the full 8-10 months.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Do it right and don't ride too soon - I did and I stretched my ACL repair. If you do it right - it takes 8 months to fully recover before you should ride. People do it sooner - I rode after 4 months and it was the wrong thing to do - I rode MX and wish I would have waited the full 8-10 months.
aw man, im at 5 months and i couldnt take it anymore, i started doing sm trackdays again 2 weeks ago, idk how long i will be able to go for mx! 3 more months will be hell if i wait that long

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ryan good luck guy, jees all the responses are freakin' me out:eek:. I wrecked on 6/18 full gear but i smashed my leg pretty good. The surgeon says " use it":headscrat. I've got torn ACL an meniscus -he's not recommending surgery yet.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yikes! That's seriously battered!

Ryan, good luck with the surgery and more so, the PT. :p
As others said, do what you're told, also the ice bag is your friend.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Ryan, Dont stress it. I have had multiple rebuilds (I am hard on my body) do what your docs/therapists say and you'll be fine. You will be surprised how fast you heal up.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I'm defenetly plannin on lots of PT. I had the same surgery on my other knee ten years ago, and was back on the mx track, stronger than ever, in 4 months. All the pt put me in the best shape of my life actually, so I am lookin forward to that part.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Read up about ACL surgery - the graft goes through stages and after a few months it is stronger or as strong as stock - but from 3-6 months the graft goes through a metamorphosis from a tendon to a ligament. At that state it gets weak. This was the stage I stretch my riding MX and the entire surgery was for not.

The doctor told me I could ride - signed the release. But later I told him that it hurt if I tried to run - he told me "NO You can't run at this stage our you risk stretching the graft. I say "WTF" you said I could ride but not run - are you nuts. He had no idea motorcycle riding included landing off 65 foot jumps.

Long story short - doctors are are not always smart at everything.

Just because it feels strong does not mean it is strong - no matter how much PT you go through - the body only heals as fast as it can.

I have been fighting an Fed up knee now for 10 years - 4 surgeries later and it still gives out. There is noting worse then walking down the street and you foot hits a slight angle and your knee just gives out and send you to the ground. Good Times

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Read up about ACL surgery - the graft goes through stages and after a few months it is stronger or as strong as stock - but from 3-6 months the graft goes through a metamorphosis from a tendon to a ligament. At that state it gets weak. This was the stage I stretch my riding MX and the entire surgery was for not.

The doctor told me I could ride - signed the release. But later I told him that it hurt if I tried to run - he told me "NO You can't run at this stage our you risk stretching the graft. I say "WTF" you said I could ride but not run - are you nuts. He had no idea motorcycle riding included landing off 65 foot jumps.

Long story short - doctors are are not always smart at everything.

Just because it feels strong does not mean it is strong - no matter how much PT you go through - the body only heals as fast as it can.

I have been fighting an Fed up knee now for 10 years - 4 surgeries later and it still gives out. There is noting worse then walking down the street and you foot hits a slight angle and your knee just gives out and send you to the ground. Good Times
Damm, I was back to everything in 4 months last time, now you got me paranoid, LOL. I'll try to take it easy. My last surdeon made the new ligament so tight, it took 9 months to strech it out and get 90 percent range of motion back.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My last surdeon made the new ligament so tight, it took 9 months to strech it out and get 90 percent range of motion back.
mm this makes me feel better, my doc was tellin me i had 5-6 months max to get my full range of motion back, and im still only at 5degrees of bend :/ i really need to get this sucker straight!

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Glad to hear you're finally gettin all patched up Ryan. Listen to your docs, and follow your PT schedule and you should do fine man. Best of luck bro, hope you're back in the saddle soon.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
good luck today.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Best of luck to you today Ryan. Let us know how it all went. As a rider that has had 4 knee sugerys on the same knee, all I have to say is that I'm feeling for ya. Keep on top of all the PT and you'll be ready to ride before you know it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I've had both my knees rebuilt. It sucks, but compared to the way it was 20 or even ten years ago, current ACL reconstruction are nothing. Don't worry about it. Just take it easy at first, learn as much as you can from PT at first (take notes), then go take care of yourself.

Oh yeah, and buy a road or XC mountain bike ...a real expensive one, too. Like that you'll be motivated to ride it. A bike is by far the best thing you can do to rehab and MAINTAIN that knee for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
mm this makes me feel better, my doc was tellin me i had 5-6 months max to get my full range of motion back, and im still only at 5degrees of bend :/ i really need to get this sucker straight!
I'm a wimp. I started taking a 5/350 percocet before my PT and was able to get my elbow to bend whereas before it was agonising. My Therapist was a little mad at first but she realised How much pain I was in before.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts