SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have owned the KLX 250SF for a few months now. I have ridin dirt bikes on and off since I was about 11.

I have read as many tips and advice as I can and I have watched the instructional vids on youtube but I STILL CANNOT DO A DAMN WHEELIE!

I am making this out of pure fustration. I am starting to think that this thing is just to underpowered stock. I have tried compressing the forks, slipping the clutch, and even sitting on the fender. I have done all these in 1st and second. I find that my first gear is to tall thus making it run out of revs to fast to clutch it up and 1st doesent even give enough juice to bounce it up either.

I can't honestly say I have ever perfected a wheelie on any other bike so I am starting a new pretty much. I know I can do them because if I go up slight inclines at speed (like a table top or Mc'Donalds entrance) and I can loft the wheel by leaning back. I have owned 80cc bikes that were real easy to pull the front of the ground, at the time I was'nt interested at keeping it up but if I wanted it up I caould blip the throttle.

So my point...is there any klx 250 sf owners that can wheelie it? A lot of you guys on here have good advice and I soak it up like a sponge but until I hear any thing from someone who owns the bike I have I'm not believer lol.

Do I need to look into sprockets? I plan to do a muffler and re-jet soon.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i have a drz 400, and my buddy has the klx 250.. they are kinda weak, however the jet and pipe will help.. try pulling from a lower rpm, or try using the passenger pegs, i can seem to ride one out farther on his..

·
Registered
151 Posts
They are just to weak. They came with like 19HP or something like that. Bore it out to a 351cc and you be doing 3rd gear wheelies:bannana:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've gone to the 15T front sprocket and can still pull up the front wheel, no clutch in first by yankin it hard. bouncing or clutching from 5MP is a lot easier tho. go like 5MPH, rev the bike, DUMP the clutch, the front wheel WILL come up fairly easy with the stock 14T front. I've done nothing to my bike when I did them at first, so far all I've done is wrap the front head pike and do stage 1 DJ kit and 15T front sprocket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 2009 klx250sf stock. Mines goes up in 1st and 2nd rev (ALOT) then let the clutch go, the bike is weak the 351 kit is on my wish list.

·
Registered
362 Posts
you sound like me a few months ago, i had the EXACT same issues as you, but here is my tips, stiffen the suspension, in first, around 3k no clutch, with your feet where there supposed to be, bounce all your weight downward on the rear suspension, as well as the front, when the bike comes up, gun it, and lean back, you hop right up to BP, thats where i ran out of revs, its my first bike, so i always kept it just below BP, but if your good at BP, you can hold it in first at BP.

And the rejet and pipe does make a noticable difference, but the 351 pulls, it will leave a stage 2 2.5rs in the dust until about 50 mph

I just got the 351, and if i do everything perfectly i can pull it up in 4th, but its really hard....3rd is easier and 2nd is a piece of cake, in my mind better then first.

hope this helps

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey, I've had my KLX for 2500 miles now. I throw it up on one all day in first gear at about 10 to 15 MPH. My technique is as follows:
1. Check to see coast is clear!
2. Position my butt further back on seat but still keeping centered on the bike with an arms bent posture.
3. Get up to or slow down to 10-15 mph pull in clutch just enough to disengage power.
4. Cover rear brake, Rev up into power band 6500- 8500 rpms.
5. Bend arms a little more Let out clutch fast and smoooooth (as rpms drop Im giving more throttle) while throwing my weight back.
The bike is now in a wheelie, BUT you will run out of power very fast
Note: steps 3,4,5 are done as one fluid movement.
NOW, if u do it right and get it up to close to bp you can ride out a short wheelie.
If your good with the rear brake you could ride a slow first gear wheelie all day at bp, but for most people ive come across they prefer to shift gears in a wheelie, in other words they are just below bp and chasing the front wheel with throttle. I myself pop it up in first and switch into second and sometimes third and ride at bp using throttle control and rear brake and of course body english to keep in on the rear. In addition I love the front brakes rollin 50-60 foot stoppies with around a 50 mph approach
I have ZERO performance mods. LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
old thread, but ive got 3k on my klx. Stock, it was a bitch to wheelie. But i could do it. 1st gear wheelies are no problem, sit ALL the way back and POP the clutch, dont slip it. You come up fast and once you hit balance point you have your work cut out for you. Now that i have a pipe, jets and 13t sprocket, and some good pro tapers for leverage, i can pull it up in second whenever i want!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts