SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the ups and downs from a '00 KLR250 to a '04 YZ250f. They are both ultra low mileage/hours and exactly the same price. Id like to race some 250 class SM but possibly whip it back out on the street for a cheap go getter to work and back (22 miles one way)... Any suggestions on whats what and your logic and experience behind your claims???

Thanks

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Well the power difference will be obvious. If you're racing at all you'll need the yz250f's power. The yzf will have quite a bit more power for racing, a quick google search showed the klr with 23hp and the yzf with 42hp. But the klr is street legal and it'll be hard/if not impossible to tag the yz250f.

If you're wanting a bike for both, check out a used drz400. Most are street legal, but you can still take it to a track and have fun.

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
That's an apples to oranges comparison. The YZ-F is a race bike, pure and simple. I rode one off road for years. No lights, frequent oil changes & valve adjustments, top ends, etc. The KLR250, on the other hand, is a pig. Slow and reliable, good commuter. If you want to race, buy the YZ-F. If you want to play on the street and put miles on a bike, buy the KLR. Just don't expect either one to do both duties.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I guess before the bashings and "can't"s start. What time of commuting are we talking about? 35mph, 45mph, 60mph?? That will be a big factor.... because if it is lower speed the YZF would be fine, just gear it right. And teh oil changes are a lot less frequent when you are just putting around on the bike. Full race I change mine after every couple motos but if its just street cruising it isn't as necessary. Also get a stainless filter so you can just clean it.
Also, Where are you from? That would be a big factor as to how easy it is to make it street legal.

Give up on the KLR... they are big smelly turds... Heavy, underpowered and just funny looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts