SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it seems that my boy has no one to run against in 65 anymore....i know there are a couple of new riders in the 125 class but i dont know if they will be regulars... he was wanting to ride with his buddies and all those kids are ripping up the 160 class so......here is my question? If i put the 82cc athena kit in his 65 so he has like maybe half a shot at running the pace of the kids in the REAR of the class..... WOULD those semi-pro ish kids who are ripping be pissed when they came around to lap him or whatever??? what i mean is, he isnt getting any faster riding all by himself and pretty much every kid out there is on a built 85 motor, but he is small and too small for an actual 85 or 150 (even with 12's like they run 'em back east)...... im rambling..

Would the fast kids show maturity and expertise and pass him clean and in a safe manner or would he just be in the way and a danger to the rest of them.... we have had a major conversation about him yielding to the frontrunners and not racing or riding over his head AND he is a pretty smart kid when it comes to knowing who he "should" be battling with and who he should not "race" with....he definitely holds his line fine and has bike control.....he is in agreement with me that he isnt trying to podium, but instead trying for some valuable experience..... i just don't want to see him get hurt or hurt anyone else, BUT i know if he was riding with the faster kids it would be much better experience for our monthly racing costs versus showing up and pretty much riding around by himself ( boring and a waste of motor and money)..... i just wondered what the other mini dads thought about it and actually, what the ripper kids think about "teaching" a younger kid to run well..... Ochs, Barton, Ducut, Kearns, Ohara....what do you kids/young men think? would you "help" River and think that was cool he looks up to you guys? or is it all business and you just dont want him out there with you guys..... just wondered what you guys thought.... the kid can ride, he just is a little guy and has no one to ride with in his class so i thought if you mini rippers didnt think it was a terrible idea, i might throw a little more motor in his 65 so he isnt a total danger and turn him loose......either way we wont be offended so tell us what you really think....we just want him to get some experience but it would be alot better for everyone if the super haul ass kids were in agreement rather than angry at us for trying it.... some guys say who cares, its racing...well WE CARE and we dont want all the kids he looks up to at the races pissed at us about trying it. I suppose a few of you guys will be riding 250F's full time next season anyway but i thought id ask for your opinions...... thanks for your time as i ramble. See you guys at buttonwillow! Sean McDougall 243

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sean,

It's too bad the STTARS mini scene has died. We haven't even ridden the bikes since October and haven't raced STTARS since OCT 2006.

I have to say SCMINIGP has a very competitive Formula GP class (65 2S & 150 air cooled 4S, NO CRF150R motors), we don't hold a membership over there anymore but the prices are the same members or nonmembers.

I can't imagine those boys (Ochs, Barton, Ducut, Kearns, Ohara) or their folks not wanting River to join them, but like you said he's liable to be a backmarker and that won't do his "ego" for lack of a better term any good.

Maybe give SCMINI a try?

Jeff

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah to scminigp

when they said they "preferred" we didnt put our foot out...we were over it. The pocketbikes well.... River wants to ride supermoto is what he told me, when i asked him about an nsr he said "nahhh" so STARRS is perfect for us.
as far as his ego, he just wants "carrots" to chase, he knows he couldnt win for a long time, he justs wants to go "faster" with the kids he rolls in the pits with....ridin with his buddies... i dont know what to tell him other than be patient. He is goin pretty good though... and he is having alot more fun now that he can go faster. Thats what he says!:arsenal

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just to be clear I'm not promoting the SCMINI series, they have went a different direction, one we don't care to follow.

It's just another option, as is CMRRA?

No mini 4 stroke action in STTARS, not worth the time for us either to race ourselves. Motorcycles are our 4th or 5th sport, and unfortunately expensive and time consuming. It's a bummer, but they have taken a back seat to dang near everything that is local and cheap (football, soccer, baseball, cheer, etc.....) :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sean,

I understand your concern for River.

Mini-roadracing and motocross would help fill some of the gap missing in the STTARS mini scene, but I'm a firm believer in supermoto being the best two-wheeled sport to teach a person how to control a motorcycle.

Just all the different types of tracks and levels of traction you have to deal with, it really turns kids into "men" having to deal with everything supermoto throws at you.

Yeah, for sure, enter him in the 160cc class.

Where he'll learn the most in that class will be at the start and the first few laps either trying to hang on or hold off the bigger riders. It might take a few races for him to get used to it, or not, and somedays he'll be up to the challenge and somedays he won't.

River's a good rider and i'm sure he'll do the right thing IF he get's lapped. That's always the first goal when running in the back, is not to get lapped, so maybe that should be the first milestone to celebrate.

Justin said he would be stoked to follow around River and give him a few pointers.

I think the important thing would be to just keep River and Dad motivated and riding.

I agree with Filthy, SCminiGP has a great mini scene and I'm sure River would benefit from riding with them. If you need a place to crash I don't live to far from there, mi casa su casa.

Always look foward to Buttonwillow, the people and the track, see you there.

-Joey Ducut

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you need a place to crash I don't live to far from there, mi casa su casa.

Always look foward to Buttonwillow, the people and the track, see you there.

-Joey Ducut
Thanks Joey and Justin, We'll see you guys sunday for sure.....i may try to get River the motor work for the Fontana round.... he goes good there and he loves that track....we'll see what happens:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
i'm not running minis anymore but my experience was even if the kid was able to ride a big bike didn't mean he should be in the class. as long as Rivers can hold his line and be smart there shouldn't be any problem with him racing. he can be just as fast as any of them even on a smaller bike. just because he's small and can't ride a bigger bike does not mean he shouldn't be able to race against kids that are either his pace, or a little faster than him. riding with faster people is how you get faster. so throw him in there, the worst that happens is it dosen't work out.

i hope to be out to all the races, i wont be riding for a while but i would like to go and watch. if rivers needs any help with anything don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so throw him in there, the worst that happens is it dosen't work out.

if rivers needs any help with anything don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks for the offer Casey, i'm not worried it "won't work out"..... River knows its about the experience and seat time, i just didnt want all the rest of the kids and dads burnt we're trying it , and it would piss me off if someone accused me of "pushing" him or trying to "make" him do it.....i get nervous enough watching him race period but he is begging me to build that motor... The class is fast enough now i wouldnt dream of sending him out on a "stock" 65. He is smart enough to know it'd be "safer" for him if he had a little more motor..... Get your red headed arse back out there soon man!

·
old school supermoto
685 Posts
Kids Classes

I realize it's a long jouney, but you might consider making the trip up to the Nor-Cal area. We typically have great turn outs for our youth classes. There are more classes to chose from and you will always find supermoto competition. Our series has helped young riders like Joey Pascarella, Cameron Beaubier, Garrett Willis, Elena Meyers and Bobby Fong all get their start. We race near Reno at the end of the month or The event in July will be the 2nd annual Mini-Motard world cup & Jr. shootout, a great one for the kids.

Were going to Buttonwillow this weekend and will bring three nor-cal kids with us :thumbup:

It's always worth the drive...

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know I would love to do some of the NorCal races but with just one or two of us coming from Bako, it's pretty hard on the pocket book for gas nowadays. I know that your turn-out is really good, and the tracks are awesome, which makes it suck that much more. Other guys from SoCal are trying to get 5 and 6 guys together just to make the trip affordable.

So Brok, if you can do something about the gas prices, I would be most appreciative and would show my support by coming to your races!!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i hope to be out to all the races, i wont be riding for a while but i would like to go and watch. if rivers needs any help with anything don't hesitate to ask.
Casey, What happened?

·
old school supermoto
685 Posts
I'm working on that. Our trip to BW was $300. in fuel. Makes the racing seem cheap!

O'Hara suggested a Mobile contingency plan? :hmmm:

I know I would love to do some of the NorCal races but with just one or two of us coming from Bako, it's pretty hard on the pocket book for gas nowadays. I know that your turn-out is really good, and the tracks are awesome, which makes it suck that much more. Other guys from SoCal are trying to get 5 and 6 guys together just to make the trip affordable.

So Brok, if you can do something about the gas prices, I would be most appreciative and would show my support by coming to your races!!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have discussed a couple of trips with him and hope to do so this year...Maybe others can follow. (sorry for the thread jack, maybe we should start another thread?)...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whatever

thread jackers! dont start another thread. so how much is a supermotousa membership? i would be down to carpool and try a round or two but it just depends on it all coming together (no pun intended):D

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know that we can't hit them all, so maybe Brok can clue us in to which races would be more preferrable...I hear that Infinion is a "must" for example. We can carpool with Ohara if he has room or if we have enough we can go on our own. I know that depending on the location, we will be looking at an approximate $300 gas bill as Brok stated earlier. I often see Ohara start new threads titled with the trip for carpool interests, which I why I suggested the new thread. Is there anybody else in our area that would be interested in going up north?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts