SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone remembers my thread about my broken 450sm which I don't have the money to pay for but, to enlighten you I'll retell the story because I need some opinions. It's an 06 with fewer than 3000 miles on it. It started making an intense chatter one day last August so I put it away and checked it out. Turns out I had a faulty rod bearing and blew it. Most of the motor was destroyed including the cylinder, rod, pistons, gaskets exc. The repairs are costing me about 2 grand which I have now saved. I find out this week weather Husky is going to pay for the damage or not. In either case, if i pay for it , or if i don't I'm extremely paranoid about having future problems with the bike. Do you think this is a fluke? I wasn't even that hard on the bike... I do not have the money to pay for any repairs like this (Student in College) so the question is do I keep her and keep the fun or sell her for something with some more cylinders, something more streetable. I have not had a problem with keeping up with maintenance. I would just die if this thing broke again after pouring nearly every penny I have made throughout the school year into the motor. I work at Brockton Cycle center where I could possibly be getting hooked up but we can't order Husky parts at cost like with other Japanese Dealer. The 2 grand is mostly parts and no labor. Can I trust the Husky or should I play it safe and buy something else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
610 sm

My 610 just dropped a valve with only 2200 miles on the clock.It has had the pants thashed off it since day one!but this is just not good enough.I love the bikes power ,handling etc.Sorry I,m off to Ktm for a 690 smc
Albert theturtleshead:rant:

·
Registered
304 Posts
With the poor resale of used bikes, and Huskys being a bit worse even (from my experience), I'd be parting that out and starting over. I just bought a 06 TE450, 2k miles for 2500 bucks. The guy had nobody even call him with a national ad. The bike is scratch free, like new and ridden by a +50 rider, it never fell except on his trailer.

I had a near sale of my SMR450 last fall, one buyer called after several months and wanted to see it. I lowered it to $4500 with some nice parts and like new. Thankfully it didn't work out and my $ problems worked themselves out without selling a bike.

If your hooked up at a Japanese place it might be easier/cheaper to get a DRZ SM with low miles and good condition. Lower performance but lower stress on the bike too, easier/cheaper to keep & fix when it needs it.

Your parts are worth more than if you fixed it and had to sell. The frame with title is probably good for 600 or more to a guy with a earlier bike without a plateable frame. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thats one of the problems with the high performance four stokes reguardless of the brand. When big things go wrong inside the engine the repairs can easily cost $2000, 3000, or more.

I would first recommend doing a teardown and inspection of the motor to get an accurate idea of exactly what parts are damaged, that way your not into the repair for $2000 only to find you need to spend another $1500. Or maybe you`ll get luck and the damage isn`t as bad as you first thought.

I know the bike has been broken for quite a while but did you contact the husky dealer where you got the bike from? Quite a few times i`ve seen Husqvarna help out with the repair bill by offereing to pay for labor or supplying free parts for major repairs that proabably shouldn`t of happened to new bikes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
similar thing happened to me and it costed me about 1500 and im a broke college student myself but i was in the same problem i didnt want to spend all this money just to have it break down on me again but then i thought about the GOOD TIMES me and my bike used to have and i need that back and so i fixed it and did all the labor myself and the bike runs solid, and im glad i fixed it instead of selling it!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
thats weird. I wonder how many problems with bearing/ blow motors on our 06 -07 450-510's????? My bike only has 800 miles but its been run pretty hard and no probs knock on wood...

·
Registered
11 Posts
These 4 strokes are very high maintenance. They are suspose to have the oil and filter changed every 10 hours along with a valve clearance check with every oil change. I change the spark plug every other oil change and have never hit the rev limiter on purpose and have never had a problem.

The valves are like the timing on a car. If the valve clearence is just a thousand or two out of tolerance, I notice a slight hic-up or crack because the timing has been changed.

In your case with your brand new bike blowing up, it probably was a factory defect. But that one defect could have caused another over-seen problem that may arise in the future.

Not only would it cost $2000 or more to fix it, what if it fails again but when it fail is the most important. Is it worth it to have your bike fail on you when you are miles away from any gravel road? Good luck pushing it and good luck with getting it fixed again.

My advise is to go after Husqvarna Company for a complete new motor. If they will only repair it, then have them do it and sell the bike ASAP but let it be known of the repairs. If Husqvarna Company doesn't repair it, then sell it anyways and use that money as a down payment for another bike.

By the way, I am the President of HusqvarnaOutlet.com. This website was created for the sole purpose of stimulating world-wide trade of Husky motorcycles and parts. Go to Sell an Item page to place an ad to sell your bike, in whole "as is" or in parts. Your ad is broadcasted world wide and will not be removed until sold. We collect buyers payment and shipping information for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Thanks for the advice. I was told from my local dealer that I should e-mail the manufacturer. I have and am now waiting for a reply. How much longer should this take? Any more advice? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Your local dealer should be the one emailing the manufacturer for you IMHO.....

100+ hours of street, desert, and racing here, and haven't touched the valves (been checkin them tho)

·
Registered
304 Posts
A good dealer with a relationship with the factory/distributor is very important with these bikes.More so than the price dickering types who never want you back.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Like JJM said,,, the re-sale is sheit on sm's. I went through this with a KTM. Unless you want to get out of sm, just keep it fix it but make sure its fixed right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts