SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new bike after my rmz450 sm...i didnt like it because of the stator options and the hard kick starting. Also there was not enough top speed on the straights, i didnt want to change my sprockets because the acceleration was already too calm unless you abuse the clutch. I have been thinking about going after a gsxr 1000 or 750 but i might regret is when riding on a bumpy road...what do you guys think? should i make the jump?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'd just go with a more purpose build SM. KTM 690 or Aprilia SXV 550. Plenty of power and speed with those and still all the fun of an SM. There's lots of tards out there with electric start too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i think you are skipping to from one extreme to the other extreme. get a better sm bike and then make that decision. how are you riding? is sm really suited for you? its not for everyone after all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i used to woop my 450s ass... taking it where ever it would let me, including ripping up a golf course. and i know i will miss the light feeling since i am only 140 lbs. but i have been riding them for a long time. ive had 250 two smokes and 600 xt. i guess i just always wanted a lieter bike but i do like the idea of a ktm 690. i just cant make up my mind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You will love ^^^that bike. Plenty of power, looks sick, dependable and my buddys stock 625 goes 123MPH on the highway.....its a push but its done it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
or just get a second bike... you'll see you really do love the SM as its just way cheaper and your not paranoid about wadding it up. i picked up a fz1 for longer rides but i still keep a soft spot for all my shenanigas time on the SM.... seriously i rie the liter bike like a grandma almost but the SM i rape day in day out still just because of how easy and unafaid i am of breaking it its just so light flickable cheap i dont know what else to say it is honestly more fun to ride period.

z

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree with you on that. but the motard bikes are much easier to steal as well. so if i want to ride to work i would feel more comfortable leaving my lieter bike with airport security than my motard bike with neck locking and such...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Most motorcycle theft is based on the resale value of the parts so that liter bike is more likely to get stolen than a sumo. Especially if you're looking at a gsxr.
Half the fun of a sumo is building it so just get good insurance. My bike is insured for every part that I've got on it. So if it happens to get stolen I'll get a big fat check and build another one. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I stand up alot on my bike to see over hills and other cars. Hops up curbs and generally ride my sumo like a dirt bike.
I've tried to ride "sport" bikes but just can't stand putting my weight on my palms all day and not bieng able too stand up or turn sharp.

Z1000 or ER6N might be more comfortable than a gixxer but if raw HP and speed are #1 on your list get one and give it hell. They're cheaper this time of year.

I'd reccomend a 525 EXC converted to SM if you just want something faster then the RM and easier to start. E start and all the torque you'll ever need in the KTM 525's.

Theft?:headscrat Buy whatever you want don't live in fear.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I love my drz, with the mods listed below I have no problem keeping up with sportbikes until 80-90 mph. I stay right with my friends 610 too. If you want something with a little more top end then get a ktm 690, sxv 450/550, or something around there. I could never go back to sportbikes but if I had to choose it'd be a ktm superduke no doubt.

Edit : As far as theft is concerned, it only takes 3 guys to steal anybike no matter what type of protection you have. I learned a few years ago after having my car stolen that the only protection you ever need is insurance. If my bike gets stolen, I'm looking forward to the check. And sportbikes are more desirable because the price of fairings, forks, and motor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can see the allure of more power, however, these bikes shine because of the slow factor(no 150+ straights), utter hooligan nonsense, and general irresponsibility shown.

Everyone has a liter bike, perhaps an addition is needed.

Remember, only the chosen ride the SM:rofl:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Have your cake and eat it too, just shove the 1000cc into your RMZ :thumbup:

Have you considered a cheap, used sv650 for when you want comfort/more speed maybe?

Or maybe just more of a street-oriented tard (husky 610sm, 625, 690smc, XR650R etc)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well ive been eyeing a drz sm on ebay but i been thinking about it....ive been reading alot of people talking about valve noise on them and wondering how much you can hear it or if it even makes a difference at all.... anyones drz make the ticking noise?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys i just put down on a 2009 drz 400sm with 3,100 miles and it is coming from the us...will take about 2 to 3 weeks to get here in the islands. Will post some pics when it gets here....my eyes on a 470 stroker kit already :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
well put it this way i swapped my sxv550 for a rsv r 1000 and now i wish i hadnt u know the saying you dont know what u got till its gone......... enough said =(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep. i miss my rmz450. i know the drz will be hard to get used to because of the power issue but the magic buttom will be a good thing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i know its already to late.. but good choice on the DRz

i had both a drz and a recently bought RC51.
the DRz is now gone and all i do is dream about it.
sure the power isnt nearly as fast as the RC51 but the pure fun factor of the DRz is worth it.

if i had the choice, i woulda have stuck to the supermoto and never gone back to sportbikes..

but like hieroglypkic put it, "you dont know what u got till its gone"..

go supermoto and never look back.

unless going 170 and doing 100mph wheelies is your thing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
:thumbup::clap:I agree! I sold my CBR1000RR for a DRZsm & I love it! Good call on staying with the sumo. They are a blast!! & besides sportbikes don't off-road that well.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts