SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 KDX250 that I just bought it today for only $500! I read a lot about it before I bought it and from my understanding its pretty much a 2 stroke with the brute of a 4 stroke at low end. I want to convert this bike into a "supermoto" but I will not be competing in anything or anything like that I just want to ride it on the road as a street bike kind of. I bought the bike and the only thing wrong with it really is that the shifter is stripped out. Of course there are other things that need to be done too, like hopefully repainting it/getting all the flat black crappy paint the kid that had it before me had on it off and get it back to its original kawi green former glory. It also needs the carb probably re-jetted because it has a pro-circuit pipe to an FMF turbine, the headlight bands are snapped on one side, the rear brake does not work at all, seems to me like the rear wheel bearings are bad, the carb needs to be cleaned, the fork seals are leaking, the rear fender was cut and the rear brake light was cut off with it, I don't have the title for the 93 frame but it is not stolen and I have a 91 frame that I got with it that I do have the title for so I'm going to have to switch everything over to that frame, probably needs new pads all around, kickstand, I need to lower the bike because it is a little too tall for me, I know the EX500 ninja rims fit some supermoto's. I was wondering what rims would fit my bike that are wider then mine that I can put street tires on or if I can just use the rims I have now. I also heard something about having to change the piston on 2 strokes every 50-60 hours which might be a problem if I am using it to ride around town on every once in a while. Also, I was wondering what type of fluids to use on it if I'm going to be riding it the way I want. Here are some pictures of it

Attachments

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Cool find. Those bikes can make a top end last a long time cuz they arent high strung. When u say the shifter is stripped...do you mean the lever or the shaft? If the shaft is stripped.....i hope ur mechanically incline and are will to make thay a $1,000 bike. Where in fl are you at? And did the bike come with a street title?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just the lever itself (Thankfully) I thought it was the shaft until I got there and looked at it because that's what the guy told me but I work on cars and am in school for auto mechanics so I was prepared either way just in case but I was pretty relieved to find out it was just the lever. I am in the Orlando area. Yes it came with a street title (The other frame I have which is a 91') but its a NJ street title.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Kickass man! There are alot of guys in orlando. Get that beast motarded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've seen a few around my house laity, I actually live in the Winter Springs/Casselberry area. I can't wait to get it registered and driving though. Maybe I can find them and ride out.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
looks to yellow to be kawasaki green. Icon has some full face helmets that look badass and close to kawi green...or keep the bike kinda mad max like it is and get a Icon Variant battle scar covert green.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, its hard to tell by the pictures I think your right though. I think I know what your talking about with the Icon though, its the flat green one, right? I'll look it up. I also plan on getting the Icon Field Armor Stryker Vest in green.
I looked it up, it looks pretty awesome design wise, but I don't like the color at all though.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Yep flat green. Dude.....plzzzzzzz dont get a squid vest. Seriously why waste the money? Aftrr being down twice 3 times i will tell you what i have learned. 1-leather is your friend. Buy it. 2-textile melts to skin and hurts to get scrubbed out. 3- your hands and forarms are the first to hit and get shredded. Only in 1 accident did i slide neatly on my back and thank god i had leather there cuz it was a long slide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I was just trying to get something that still protected but was a little less "heavy". I have an Icon Stealth Hooligan 2, some really nice cortech gloves, and a speed and strength under the radar helmet from when I had my 636. Plus I figured it would be kinda weird to wear street bike gear on a supermoto, not sure the rules on all of that with you guys though lol. I'm actually glad you said something because I guess I kind of needed advice on what to get gear wise besides gloves. I plan on doing wheelies and circle wheelies if I can (I know its going to be kind of hard on a 2 stroke because they don't idle the same but its worth a shot). Not all the time or anything, just to screw around in a parking lot or somewhere secluded. I definitely want to be safe though, I have a tattoo on my right arm and I want to keep it there instead of leaving it on cement somewhere lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

These are the parts I just got in by the way, I put the shifter on and finally got to ride it. The wheel bearing is whining really bad and the fork seals are leaking. But it shouldn't be too bad to fix. Anyways, its extremely fun to ride :D
Anyways, I had a few actual questions though, when I put my bike into first it tries to die but I think it might be because the chain is so loose. Just wanted you guys input on that. Also, I have more good news... The headlight works :) but I need 2 of the strap band things to keep the headlight against the forks, mine are obviously broken. I also need a new tail light or tail light and rear fender, I kinda want both because the hack job that was done on the original rear fender looks really bad.... Should I get a UFO one or should I get the Acerbis universal? I heard it doesn't take much to make it fit.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Check your clutch. And alot of us wear street bike helmets and leathers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok awesome, that kind of helps me out lol. I'll probably just wear my old gear then. I have a leather jacket but its not one that I want to mess up :eek: . I'll probably just wear my old icon jacket then, I just didn't know the supermoto "etiquette" lol.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
there is no real rules lol, its ride and have fun but many of us believe in wearing full gear all the time. as for the stalling like i said, check the clutch adjustment, your plates may be fried. basically the clutch isnt engaging so tighten it up. as for new lights.....there are TONS of options out there lol, it is really just pick what you like or is in your budget and go from there. i have had a few different headlights on my DRZ and personally the one i want is one my wifes KLX250sf. her stock headlight is the best for night riding i have seen around. i currently have the Acerbis vision or something like that...its the DOT approved one with LEDS. it sucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah I LOVE my headlight, I just need a tail light but I was thinking that I wanted to go with the acerbis tail light with the acerbis rear fender BUT from what you said about the headlight sucking I'm thinking now maybe I might not want to go with that tail light. Also, how do I check the play in the clutch plates? I'm kind of new to all this. I think your right about it though because I did notice it kind of goes into first a little hard but I just figured it was just not going to be as smooth as my old KLX 125 because its a bigger bike and more torquey but now that you said something about the plates I'm thinking maybe I wasn't wrong to think that. It goes into second smooth enough though. This bike pulls the front tire off the ground in first gear off the throttle alone :rock:

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
First adjust the. Cable out on the bars/lever if that doesnt help you may have some adjustment on the lever coming out of the clutch basket area above the clutch cover. Checking you plates isnt too hard if the adjustment doesnt work. Just get a new gasket and rip into it. Very straight forward. Your plates will be worn really thin and or your basket could be heavily notched from the plates. Riva yamaha.com has an oem parts finder that will display a diagram on how it all comes apart. The biggest pain in the ass is the kick start spring but there are youtube videos on how to put it back.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Oh hell im a dumb ass. I was picturing my olf cr80 set up. U can just get a gasket and take off the few bolts to get to ur clutch plates. No messing with the kicker! Lol lucky, every season i dreaded changing the plates on my cr80 lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol well I think my kick start spring might be bad so I want to replace it anyways, is it really that bad? Also, I will adjust the levers and if that doesn't work, check the plates tomorrow. The reason I think my spring might be bad is because when I go to kick start it sometimes the lever doesn't really do anything, just kind of goes to the ground and it makes like one crank noise but you can tell its just slack or something in it. I have to tap my foot on it to get more tension out of it and get it back up to the top. On the perch when I'm checking that what should I look for?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Yea it sounds like the kick start spring is either done or not installed properly. On the perch, the big nut on the bolt just screw it out away from the lrver to add tension. If you gotta do plates do the kicker at the same tome obviously. The kicker aint gonna be fun. Maybe consider getting a repair manual for it. If u were closer id say swing by but im a ways off and it aint a 10min job lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts