SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just washed my 07 xr400 motard with a garden hose and a bucket of soapy water...i finish up and now it wont start.

it kicks over but wont start.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
let it dry, and never wash your bike again. Go riding when it rains, or ride through a water crossing to shed road debris. :lol: j/k. let it dry out. it should be ok, but there's no point in killing yourself by constantly kicking it over trying to get it started.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its e/start so im fine :)

why is it that it wont start do u think?

water in electrical? carb?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just tried and still nothing... how long should it take to dry?

·
Registered
602 Posts
try taking the plug out of the exhaust... :lol:

.....I've done that before so don't laugh :headshake

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, update

it wont even kick over now and i can hear a buzz sound near the battery every time i try start it..

plz help

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
try bump starting it. I didn't know it was e-start, so my first post that everything would be fine may now be entirely false. dig into the electronics and make sure you didn't drown anything. If the bike will bump-start, it's something with the startin circuit, if you can't even bump it, you've got to make sure you didn't get water inside the engine(through the exhaust) and make sure your ignition isn't soaked, either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if any of that is soaked is it just a matter of letting it dry?

or death by costly repair?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I never spray my bike with a hose, wipe it down before and after a ride. Spray some WD-40 on the wires and maybe you'll get it fired.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That happens to my old ATV all the time. To stop this problem I...

Put a pre-charger around the air filter
Put some iso heat (red bottle) in the gas tank
Put a new plug in it.

Do that and it should start. The pre charger is for washing it again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know this may sound insulting but you did plug the exhaust with something before you washed it right? Better question, do you hear a clicking sound when you try to start it?

I was going to suggest turning the gas off and tipping the bike over to reset the carb, but that definately sounds electrical unless you somehow managed to actually fill the cylinder with water and the starter just can't budge it. .....oh and this is post 500 for me maybe that's lucky :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeh i plugged it and theres no way i got water in there. ive actually lost the little square nut thing to hold the wire on the battery so i gtg see if i can get one from the dealer. a friend of mine told me i can jumpstart it off a car?
i might take the battery to the dealer and get em to charge it for 10 mins or so...

then try once again...

tried push starting but didnt quite get itt going

·
Registered
111 Posts
No no no!

Easy fix, first charge your battery.

Your hearing the selonoid buzz from not enough juice in the battery to turn the motor over.

Second, twist off the spark plug cap from the plug wire and dry it out.

99% of the time when this happens it's a bad spark plug cap letting water onto the plug wire.

Look at the end of the plug wire, if it looks wet let it dry.

Once dry reassemble and start her up.

If this is the fix, use die electric grease on the connection between the wire and cap, 2 bucks at autozone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
sirr1 is right, charge batt then take plug out and check for spark. being a 2007 i would hope the plug cap is not bad but who knows.
second if you do ever decide to use ur car always make sure car is off never running, you risk burning up electrical parts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
battery is just on the charger... will let yall know how it goes

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Check your float bowl - if water gets in the air filter it can leak down into the carb and settle in the float bowl.

Pull the 17mm cap off the float bowl and drain it.

This is if the bike will not start with the kick starter

Seen this happen several times

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
yep what smrscott said. I will bet this is your problem. shut the fuel off. take the 17mm drain the bowl. turn fuel back on and raisehell. it did this on my crf450 the firstweek I had it. took me a couple hours to figure it out. haha let us know how it goes

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hahahahahah. charged up the battery and it just started up. called the stealership and one of them remembered not charging my battery properly a few months age so all theyre fault.. i have apologised to my xr for thinking it couldnt withstand a bit of water

1 - 18 of 18 Posts