SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 months ago I decided I was going to buy a bike. I grew up around them, my father had an XS11 and now has another XS11 and a Honda 650 with sidecar and I grew up riding dirtbikes and four-wheelers on a family farm. Back in August I started seriously looking for my first real 'motorcycle' and I decided to go supermoto. It was in my blood, a light bike, the braaap braap sound I had grown to love… Well, I ended up finding a sweeeet deal on a 2006 Yamaha R6 and bought it. I waited over the winter and finally tagged it the beginning of this month. After riding it a few times I simply realized it wasn't for me and that I still was being summoned by the sumo culture. I decided to sell the R6 and just did successfully last night… now I'm on the hunt for a sumo (I actually and going to pick it up this or next weekend) and couldn't be happier.

That's my cool story, just thought I'd share. Can't wait to get together with some fellow junkies and share some more about the bike I get etc!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaving Baltimore tomorrow bright and early at 5:30am to pick up a 625smc in Tennessee! Woot! I'll be happily posting first pics tomorrow night!

SO excited!

·
Registered
628 Posts
The r6 blows for street riding. It GREAT on the racetrack though. I've got a track only r6, and the 625 for the street. Couldn't be happier. Got any pics of the one you're getting? Or a link to the ad?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The r6 blows for street riding. It GREAT on the racetrack though. I've got a track only r6, and the 625 for the street. Couldn't be happier. Got any pics of the one you're getting? Or a link to the ad?
Its the one for sale here: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?126676-2005-KTM-625-SMC-Supermoto-5000-(Knoxville-TN)

Akros slipons, steering dampener, big front brake... all the stuff I'd like to have done anyway.

The guy, Rod, is super nice and has a mechanical skillset like myself. I can tell the bike was well taken care of. He's even meeting me 2 hours up my way to make it a little easier ride down.

Don't get me wrong, the R6 is a BEAST of a machine and wonderfully engineered (the dozen rapid squirrels that emerge between your legs after 11k rpm prove it!) but its just not suited for the street, you're right. That's the thing too, by the time I actually 'got on it' with the R6, I either had to get off the throttle for fear of hitting something I was fast approaching or because of Johnny Law, hehe.

I can't wait to pick up the SMC!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Its the one for sale here: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?126676-2005-KTM-625-SMC-Supermoto-5000-(Knoxville-TN)

Akros slipons, steering dampener, big front brake... all the stuff I'd like to have done anyway.

The guy, Rod, is super nice and has a mechanical skillset like myself. I can tell the bike was well taken care of. He's even meeting me 2 hours up my way to make it a little easier ride down.

Don't get me wrong, the R6 is a BEAST of a machine and wonderfully engineered (the dozen rapid squirrels that emerge between your legs after 11k rpm prove it!) but its just not suited for the street, you're right. That's the thing too, by the time I actually 'got on it' with the R6, I either had to get off the throttle for fear of hitting something I was fast approaching or because of Johnny Law, hehe.

I can't wait to pick up the SMC!
DAMN that thing has all the parts you need. even a new front braking system. even though the stock one aint bad - that one is PIMP. enjoy it man.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
No, but I almost bought that bike before he did. I snoozed and he nabbed it. Wonder why he's selling it? The guy that had it for sale originally was going to buy a Hyper, he wanted something with longer legs.

Anyway, that bike has been well taken care from all previous owners. You're getting a nice ride :thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, yeah he's a good guy and I can tell just from talking to him on the phone last night for 30 min that the bike has been in good hands.

I take it he's selling to free up some garage space.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welp, it took a bit of being creative but we got her in! Boy do I have a good wife (this is her car). We are on the way back from TN to MD as I type this.

·
Registered
628 Posts
NOW it's a swagger wagon! :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, my R6 is gone too, cant fit a sport bike in a minivan... I love my DRZ so much more than I ever liked my Sportbike, and im with you, I will NEVER own one again, its all SUMOs and Thumpers from now on...

Like someone else on here said "you can ride your fast bike slow, but I can ride my slow bike fast"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts