SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just removed the evap crap on my 690 smc.

i pulled the canister and the solenoid off. wired a 47 ohm resister (didn't have a 26 ohm one, but i bet this will work fine) to the connector where the solenoid was. blocked off the little nipple on the cylinder after the intake boot. routed the hose off the gas cap down the frame to the ground.

it cost me nothing, looks much cleaner, and shaved off a pound or so.

this is what gets taken off...

this is what you have to plug...

and this is the beautiful sight you are left with...

·
Registered
310 Posts
any performance gains, and what about the stalling issues ive hear about. Please do tell me more.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what i have read there are no performance gains other than the .0000001 hp you might feel from shaving a pound off the bike. the only advantage is a cleaner look. it should have no affect on anything, shouldn't cause any stalling. removing the ses stuff may cause stalling but not the evap.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Resistor Value?

I'm amazed at either the insensitivity of the ECU system or it's adaptability to a wide range of acceptance regarding the resistance value and therefore the current draw to the cannister air valve. It seems that about a 700 ohm resistor is put in by a number of riders and I installed a 1,000 ohm resistor which seems to have satisfied the system and prevented the FI warning light from coming on. The lower the resistance the higher the current draw and in your installation the 47 omh resistor will draw about 1/4 amp. In your case, and to avoid the resistor overheating, it should be at least a 3 watt value.

BTW: When activated the air valve solenoid draws .048 amp which equats to about 260 ohm. One of us is off by a decimal point...it could be me. :lol:

wayne

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm.... just rode around for a bit and i have no check engine light. everything seems ok to me.

EDIT: just checked the resistor because the above post had me a bit worried. the resister was quite burnt. i have no idea what wattage it can handle but it was a pretty small resistor. i put a 1000 ohm one of the same size in since people have done so with no problems. if i get a chance i will go to radio shack and just try to find the right resistor. i'll get one thats nice and big.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did the same but put the bracket back after I realized it provides some
support for the lower right radiator. I used the same bracket but sawed
the tab off that held the canister. I also moved the horn up and out
of view. Later on I found a perfectly good bracket in the box of crap
the dealer gave me that had the passenger foot pegs and grab rails.

$.02

Tim

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i put a 1/4 watt 1000 ohm in place of the burnt 47ohm and still no FI light and no burnt resistor.

also about the lower right hand part of the radiator. i grabbed the corner and it felt sturdy to me. i will probably order a bracket for that side anyway but it is sturdy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is the part number for the left side lower radiator bracket... 76535001000 which is the same as both the left side AND right side on the euro models. i will order it since its pretty cheap for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just cut the tab off the one you have with a hacksaw. Sand it smooth
and give it a shot of paint. Wala. The one I found with the discarded
parts was an exact match for the left side bracket.

this is the part number for the left side lower radiator bracket... 76535001000 which is the same as both the left side AND right side on the euro models. i will order it since its pretty cheap for me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just went into my bag that came with the bike and i found that bracket. works perfect. it's like KTM said "hey, if you want to remove the evap can here is the bracket". sweet!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
could you give me more info and pic of the resistor
its pretty simple really. just stick the resister in where you unhook the solenoid. a 1/4 1000ohm seem to be keeping the FI light from coming on. the 47 ohm one did as well but burnt up during the first ride. the higher the resistance the less heat it will make and less power it will consume. radio shack will have the resistor you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts