SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposting here as this is probably the more appropriate audience..
------
Hi Everyone,

I originally was going to buy a crotch rocket for my first bike but then discovered supermotos and finally landing on this site and reading a lot of great info from the knowledgable members of this forum...

After coming close to buying a couple of DRZ 400SM's out of state (got the run around from a couple of owners who were being kind of sketchy about the condition of their bikes) and a Husky 510SMR (someone beat me to the punch), I finally got tired of looking around and just went for the 2011 Husaberg FS570...

Paid about 8K for it including shipping (from Minnesota to Virginia/DC) which I think is a pretty good deal for this bike. Probably wont get the bike till late next week as there were two recalls for this bike (one safety related) and need to make sure those are taken care of prior to shipping....

I'll probably still end up getting a DRZ 400SM for longer road trips and for modding.. we have some great roads for motorcycle riding here in virginia...

Anyway, curious to hear what you guys think about the berg as a first bike, I know that it's going to be a maintenance whore with constant oil changes and valve checks but I'm ok with that.. the difficulty finding neutral and no indicator light sounds like a PITA though.. Hope it will be a blast to ride.. let the mid-life crisis begin

SMWB

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't love their 570 ... lots of info around on mods, etc., if you search on here.
The 570 is going to be a lot for a new rider to handle, but the upside is, sumos crash well! :D
Instead of replacing your $1000 fairing, you just pick it up and ride off ... Respect the bike, though - they can spit you off the back just as fast as any sportbike. Maybe even faster...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the kinds words guys.. I will definitely respect the bike, im kind of conservative in nature anyway so I intend to spend lots of time practicing in my neighborhood, office parks, etc before i ride on a more regular basis..

Does the bike look better in person than it does in pictures? It's a bit plain looking in pics

If you guys have any advice for me on what to look for, maintenance, etc.. it would be much appreciated..

Thanks,

SMWB

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome to the family :thumbup:

I think the bike in stock trim looks a bit ordinary in pictures, but in the flesh it looks great. Oil maintenance isnt too bad. Some say every 5 hours; I would say if you're just putting around do oil changes every 10 hours or so. Thats what my schedual was when I was commuting (15minute ride to work every day) and I recently had the motor apart and the internals are all perfect. The piston still looks like new too :) My valves havent moved since the bike was run in, nearly 9,000 kms ago. For a high performance motor, the maintenance is surprisingly pretty good IMO.

You're going to love it. Everyone should learn to ride a supermoto!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks Wierus, that's great advice.. is there any type of adjustment that can be made to the bike to help with finding the neutral and shifting in general, i thought i read something about a shift kit or some type of upgrade.. or is that just something i have to go through as part of the break in period?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome to the family :thumbup:

You're going to love it. Everyone should learn to ride a supermoto!
What he said! Congrats!

I think it looks amazing to be honest, but I'm more into performance than looks. I had an '09 husky 510 before my 570 and the power difference between the two is :bowdown: You've definitely picked the cream of the crop for your first tard (which means you won't have to upgrade from here). You'll have a great amount of torque and power at your disposal so just take it slow and enjoy your 'berg!

·
Registered
311 Posts
From my experience notchy/rough shifting is just part of the bike being new. You'll notice it will also lurch forward a bit when shifting into first from neutral. Nothing to worry about, just need to get some miles on the berg and it only gets better from there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
yea the KTM gearboxes struggle to find neutral a little bit. But I think its a good thing, I've never hit neutral by accident while actually riding. You get used to it though! I always start the bike in neutral as its a little bit harder to start in gear and labours the battery too much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool

I came very close to buying a 2010 Husky SMR510 but some guy beat me to the ad (blessing in disguise?)... but looking back on it now i think the berg is a better bike as you said.. even from a practicality point of view, i think the berg can go a bit further on a single tank of gas and maybe doesnt have some of the maintenance hassle that the Husky has? I think maybe the Husky also has a rougher ride?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The husky required a powercommander V and auto tune right after I bought it (another $500) to get the fuel injection to an acceptable point. After tuning from there it did get much better but that's not acceptable for a brand new bike.

The 'berg has been spot on with fuel injection since new and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Fuel range is definately better on the berg compared to the husky. I go on sumo rides with my dad, he has a 08 husky 510. I can usually get an extra 35km per tank riding the same roads @ the same speed. He's also had lots of problems with his electronics on his husky. Since new it was blowing fuses all the time. Theyd find the cause, fix it, then another fuse would blow a couple of months later caused by something else.. :headscrat :headshake

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Congrats on the Berg...No complaints here except for the seat is hard on the arse ,but with a Renazco seat that's super sweet cured that problem ,and now i have to put a hole in it...I guess you could call it a $400 ram air kit to ease the pain of cutting it up.:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm...

Great info on the Husky and Berg guys.. you guys are just making me feel better that I made the right decision which is a big relief... i think i'll definitely be sensitive to the ride comfort, so I'll have to look into changing out the seat if it becomes intolerable..

Just hope i dont have any issues with the berg, oddly enough there is only one certified Husaberg dealer in the entire wash dc/va/md area -- fortunately it's about 20 miles from my house. Maybe there are also performance shops that also know how to work on these bikes..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If that shop font suit you I bought one of my Bergs from KTMPARTS.com (Apalachian off road) in Charlestown (Cross lanes WV) and the mechanic there is on top of everything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charlestown

thanks for the tip... charlestown is about 1hr 10 mins from (Fairfax/Chantilly) so might actually make for a fun road trip :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on your new bike

I did some some research on the Husky 5 months ago went to see it and saw the FS AND WOW I had to know more. They were having a sale on the Husky under 6k and said they were more user friendly than the Husaberg as far as parts and work. I sat on the Husky and it felt good but when I was on the BERG there was clearly a difference in weight and memory's off my dirt bikes from back in the day. I bought it and I havn't looked back!!!! Dud you made the perfect choice!:clap:All you need to do is smog delete a DNA filter and a good old FMF 4.1 and it can and will scare the underoos right off your ass. Weight to power ratio is the best bike on the market IMO. Glad you posted this, hard to find nuetral,gas mileage learning things beyond my reaserchhttp://www.supermotojunkie.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool..

you guys are making feel better by validating my purchase.. plus it's nice to see some of the folks around my age who own the bike.. i was wondering if i was too old to be riding this type of bike...:hmmm:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
moving a crate..

silly question -- anybody have any idea how to transport a crate... the bike is going to be arriving in a crate at some shipping terminal.. was going to get a uhaul but not sure how im going to unload the crate off the truck without a fork lift?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you can have them load it in the truck I would just uncrate it in the back of the U-Haul and roll it down the ramp.

Congrats on the purchase, I love the Bergs. I really want a TE300 for my off road needs. :arsenal

1 - 20 of 32 Posts