SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I originally was going to buy a crotch rocket for my first bike but then discovered supermotos and finally landing on this site and reading a lot of great info from the knowledgable members of this forum...

After coming close to buying a couple of DRZ 400SM's out of state (got the run around from a couple of owners who were being kind of sketchy about the condition of their bikes) and a Husky 510SMR (someone beat me to the punch), I finally got tired of looking around and just went for the 2011 Husaberg FS570...

Paid about 8K for it including shipping (from Minnesota to Virginia/DC) which I think is a pretty good deal for this bike. Probably wont get the bike till late next week as there were two recalls for this bike (one safety related) and need to make sure those are taken care of prior to shipping....

I'll probably still end up getting a DRZ 400SM for longer road trips and for modding.. we have some great roads for motorcycle riding here in virginia...

Anyway, curious to hear what you guys think about the berg as a first bike, I know that it's going to be a maintenance whore with constant oil changes and valve checks but I'm ok with that.. the difficulty finding neutral and no indicator light sounds like a PITA though.. Hope it will be a blast to ride.. let the mid-life crisis begin :)

SMWB

·
Registered
446 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, its a hell of bike from what I've gathered online. Be careful because its a hell of a bike from what I've gathered online! Lol

Have fun and enjoy the ride, and post pics up when you get it :D!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Way to come outta the gates swingin - Hell of a bike, even more so for a 1st bike

Congrats

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the kinds words guys.. I will definitely respect the bike, im kind of conservative in nature anyway so I intend to spend lots of time practicing in my neighborhood, office parks, etc before i ride on a more regular basis..

Does the bike look better in person than it does in pictures? It's a bit plain looking in pics :)

If you guys have any advice for me on what to look for, maintenance, etc.. it would be much appreciated..

Thanks,

SMWB

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does the bike look better in person than it does in pictures? It's a bit plain looking in pics :)
I seen a berg for the first time in person today and while it's not a super flashy bike it does look a lot better in person. Great looking bike.

I'm really jealous as I didn't have the balls or the money to get a Husaberg for a first bike. Then again I'm young and dumb so my DRZ is more than enough to get me in trouble.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who did this. Just bought my first bike ever last summer, 35 years old and thought why not try this supermoto thing.
Maintenance on my Ape is probably just as bad as the Husky.......maybe worse but the feeling I get from riding it makes it worthwhile :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...

that's awesome.. i'm actually 37 years old so similar boat.. that also makes me feel better that i didn't do something totally crazy by buying this bike as my first ever..

·
Registered
45 Posts
that's awesome.. i'm actually 37 years old so similar boat.. that also makes me feel better that i didn't do something totally crazy by buying this bike as my first ever..
I waited till I was "mature" enough to learn how to ride a bike not just go fast in a straight line. I practice in parking lots too, schools, parks, wherever I can focus on what I'm doing without the cagers trying to kill me. I also looked at DRZ's but wound up buying a leftover model SXV for almost the same sticker price as a new DRZ. The styling had me from the first time I saw it.
One thing this place has taught me is buy the right gear and wear it.

How long till it arrives?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Be careful, that's like turning a new driver loose in a (insert waaaay overpowered car of your liking here). That bike has tons of power, so make sure you spend the money on some good quality gear. You might want to spend some time on a dirt bike too. Very nice bike to have, good luck to you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice..

My last two cars were as follows:

2009 Nissan GT-R
2007 Audi RS4

I sold the GT-R late last year as I finally felt that cars were a big waste of money... my point being i am used to having a powerful vehicle .. I now drive a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring :clap: Lots of cargo room, practical and i dont care if someone dings my door :thumbup:

I also looked at the Aprilla but was actually talked out of it by members of this board.. I notice from your profile (5280sxv) that your'e an auto mechanic, so for you the maintenance is probably something you can do in your sleep.. i think thats probably the most maintenance intensive supermoto out there though from the research I've done..

There were two recalls on the FS570 which I pointed out to the dealer, they're going to perform whatever repair needs to be done for those recalls and hopefully the bike will ship this weekend which means i should receive the bike late next week.. its going to be crated and delivered to some shipping terminal in my area. i'll have to get a truck or uhaul and figure out how to load and unload the crate...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yup, I'm a mechanic. Done everything from the Chevy dealership, classic muscle car restoration and currently working at 4wd specialty shop but never touched a bike before. Honestly the maintenance isnt that hard (with much help from the AF1 Aprilia Forum) but mostly its rewarding getting to know the machine and to spend time "hands on" with it. I resreached a lot before buying it so fully aware of the problems with early models, recalls and a short life expectancy from a "race" motor but jumped in anwways eyes wide open.
So much info around here on all these badass rides it's nice to have support no matter what brand you ride.

Waiting for some pics when you get it :D

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Looks like you are familiar with burning Benjamins.. The Husa will fit right in.

All jokes aside, you are very lucky and we are all very jealous. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts