SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Renthal 48t out back, Renthal 13t up front and new Renthal chain. It really woke the bike up and pulls hard in every gear. Very happy with this setup. I recommend this setup to all wr250x owners! It is just a tad noisy though but not bad.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Whats the highway like with your gearing? in comparison to your old setup? What is stock sprocket size on a 250x?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
stock is 13/42 48 is +6 and pretty muich where the bike should have been manufactured at if not more. i rode my cousins with 14/48 last night and it still felt like a gutless pig, love my 13/49 and when i get to the point of needing a new rear im going with a 50. 13/49 still does 80mph and cruises 55-70 all day easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my buddy has a 250f, we ride alot together..

2 totally different machines. well see whos blows up first

·
Registered
29 Posts
o ring chain quieter

wrx has stock o ring chain, my new one isnt, very noisy

just my 2 cent s

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok cool because it is pretty noisy but the chain isn't too tight or too loose I dont think. I just went with the Renthal R1 chain(non-o ring). Yes I am running 112 links. I feel like the rpm's bumped up a little cruising at 70mph but not too drastic. Bike just feels so much more responsive out of the corners and uses all of its power in every gear. And honestly, If I wasn't going to ride the highway at all, I would most likey throw a 50t on there next :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
plus my bike is all stock except for a K&N air filter, and airbox mod. Exhaust and a tuner will make it even better I hope

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just stuck a 13/49 on mine and I hate it for the street. Gearing is definately a lot shorter but it feels slower in a straight line, since it runs through each gear so quick you have to shift up constantly and waste time on the shifting. Whereas stock gearing was nice, felt like a rubber band that just pulled you along and let you use the meat of the power band.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wind that thing out, race another bike with stock gearing if you know how to ride and shift you should dust a stock bike easy up to 80, mine pulls great and 100X better than the stock junk ever could. sure your shifting more but its definitely way faster acceleration you just gotta learn how to use it it sounds like. stock is so gutless you have to hold it wide open to get to any speed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just stuck a 13/49 on mine and I hate it for the street. Gearing is definately a lot shorter but it feels slower in a straight line, since it runs through each gear so quick you have to shift up constantly and waste time on the shifting. Whereas stock gearing was nice, felt like a rubber band that just pulled you along and let you use the meat of the power band.
While I don't agree, at least you can go back to what you like.

I felt the stock gearing was too tall, and the bike struggled to pull it when you wanted max acceleration.
Having to shift sooner is going to happen with lower gearing.
There's no free lunch - it's physics. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm going to second the disagreement here.

I have 13/48 and LOVE it on the street. Stock gearing felt like dog-doo and the change really woke the bike up. With a low powered, low displacement motor shifting is going to be key regardless of gearing. While the stock gearing might give you about 10 more mph on the very top end of 6th gear, I think the 13/48 combo is wonderfully suited for most kinds of street riding under about 80 mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If your not trying to bring it up every ride try a 13/45. Its the best of both worlds.
I have done 13/48 and it didnt cut it.. way to screamy for freeways without a doubt.
I dont know what the freeways some of you guys are on but weaving around trucks for 2 hours at 80mph with nothing but 6th gear is no fun at all.
Ive never ridden a scooter but thats what it feels like im sure..Just 1 gear and buzzzzzzzzzzz...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If your not trying to bring it up every ride try a 13/45. Its the best of both worlds.
I have done 13/48 and it didnt cut it.. way to screamy for freeways without a doubt.
I dont know what the freeways some of you guys are on but weaving around trucks for 2 hours at 80mph with nothing but 6th gear is no fun at all.
Ive never ridden a scooter but thats what it feels like im sure..Just 1 gear and buzzzzzzzzzzz...
Totally understand that. I'd never even think about spending 2 hours on a freeway. :headshake

Of the over 7000+ miles I've put on my X, I'd bet the total freeway time is less than 2 hours.

So yeah, in that situation the 48 is probably not going to fly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeh 13/48 gearing is not a good idea if you plan on riding 20+ miles on the interstate often. I don't know about you guys, but my bike gets to 65-70mpg a hell of a lot quicker than the stock gearing ever did. I love it. It's too bad I suck at wheelies or I could probably ride them forever now ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts